Hubay

How do you pronounce your username?

56 posts in this topic

Koo-Reeh. The latter half should be fairly self explanatory.

Um yeah - So I would hope mine is evident - if you need help with the last word go find a Brandon Sanderson interview. I think he is mentioned at least once in all of the recent interviews. Should be H-oy-d if oy is pronounced the way I think it should be. :P Google search says I am unique to so anywhere you see this should be me.

Heh. I'm not unique at all. Heck, there is both a sirreadalot .com and .org, neither of which are me.

Mine is my last name and is not pronuaced anything like it's spelled, it's a old soldier name like hare or fox and as such it's spelled in old swedish Djerf=Järv not that it makes any sense to anyone here^^

well lets try, Järv : J like in jail, ä like eh in ehm maybe? r like in hare and v like in have.

best i can do

I really hope I don't actually have to post here, but I will anyway: You pronounce it as the two words "tangle" and "talon". Now all together: Tangletalon! Yay!

Two-lur is how you say my username. No idea if this is unique because this is the first time I've used it.

I suppose I should be good and clarify pronunciation as well. All you have to do is skip the h and use a nice round tone for the a.

Da-la Girl

(What can I say, I'm Polish. I have a love for silent consonants.)

Your love cant be strong if you only have one silent letter :P lol

Musicspren, just like the word.

Wait. Why does my dictionary not list that word? It is a perfectly good word that appeared in The Way of Kings. This is preposterous, like saying Allomancy isn't a proper word. In fact, Dictionary.com thinks that I misspelled mezzosoprani.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/musicspren

clearly the people at dictionary.com need to be introduced to Brandon Sanderson so they can correct their mistake!

Yae-dose

He's a character from my cosmology who doesn't technically appear until 700 years after the period I'm writing. Except he does but that's a bit of a spoiler and not at all relevant at the moment.

It's Wrim.

Like Wroom. only smaller.

Not Worm. Not Rim. Wrim.

I suppose I should be good and clarify pronunciation as well. All you have to do is skip the h and use a nice round tone for the a.

Da-la Girl

Your love cant be strong if you only have one silent letter :P lol

She said she's Polish, not Welsh!

Also, mine is nick-O-miss. When I made the username long long ago I didn't realize that it's apparently a real name somewhere in the world, but I think I pronounce it differently. Also, while Nik is an acceptable shorthand, Nick isn't my name.

I've confused everyone with my name in the past.

I obtained it through a random name generator for His Dark Material's daemons. I believe I had a fad for discovering the name of my own daemon had I one and this one was the only one I could recall when I first used it as an account name.

Edited by Ziva

I think my username is fairly easy (although people sometimes get the last part wrong, so here goes):

Lance (I think this is straightforward...) Al(like Albert/Alfred)-vein(as in... blood vein)

Although my name might seem obvious, it is "actually" pronounced hu-ginn, or "hew-ginn," if you will." Some people's names have silent letters, mine has silent words.

That said, it is quite interesting to see how people pronounce their names.

Edited by Thought

Eye-ron Eye-s.

Really.

Mine is pretty easy, I think. I guess I'd write it phonetically like this: "Moe-roo"

Sometimes I like it "Moroo" Kind of like in "fawn" or "dawn" Mawroo.

Either way you pronounce it, it'd be right. ^^ Since I switch back and forth. XD

My username comes from a combination of "swift" and "talon". So it's Swiff like swift and talon. Simple enough, I suppose.

I personally pronounce it DEE-oh-rad-ann - which is probably inaccurate. I picked it off a list of Gaelic words found on the internet, knowing only that it could translate roughly into 'wanderer'. If anyone here actually speaks the language, correction on pronunciation would be pretty cool.

Tam (as in ram); zin (as in zinfandel); Ash (as in gosh); e (as in eh); vai (as in hi). The bold denotes syllabic emphasis. Tamzin Ashevai.

Edited by Tamzin Ashevai

Long O (ō). Short I (î) (actually it's more like ee. Short A (â).

Strō-nîâx

Only the O is long vowel, not I or A. And I=ee / ē

Stone with an R crammed in there, and then iax pronounced like e (long) ax

Edited by Stroniax

Z (Letter's name) nith.

Kinda obvious. Short i(ih sound, right?). Like the word, right?

Is it? IDK.

Although my name might seem obvious, it is "actually" pronounced hu-ginn, or "hew-ginn," if you will." Some people's names have silent letters, mine has silent words.

Isn't that a translation for 'thought' in Christopher Paolini's Ancient Language?

As for my name it's fairly straightforward :P

Void-Us