How do you pronounce your username?

Hubay

I've always been interested in how reading names and topics really messes with our interpretation of forum threads, since we can't read into vocal tone and we have to make up our own pronunciation for names and words we haven't seen before. I feel like some of the more esoteric usernames can have a dozen different ways of pronunciation, and I'm always curious as to what the actual member wants to be called.

I think this is especially understandable for fantasy fans, since we're always reading "exotic" word and names we have noooo idea how to say outloud. The perfect example is WoT's Egwene and Nynaeve (seriously, would anyone know how to say those if there wasn't a glossary?). I thought it was eg-WEAN up until book 8 or so, when I realized her name was supposed to resemble Guinevere. And I think half my friends said Hermione wrong until the movies came out.

So how do you say your forum name? (and why did you pick it?)

Mine's pronounced hoo-BAY. A lot of people in other forums have thought it was pronounced hubbie, like the slang for husband. It comes from a nickname I picked up in high school; no-one's ever been able to say my last name right (it's Hueben) and this was one of the funnier pronunciations so it just caught on.

This seemed more appropriate in general discussions, since it's not really an intro thread.

Anyways, mine is pronounced "Kay chahn" - "Kay" as in the letter K, and "chahn". Not "chan" as in Jackie Chan; it's softer than that. Think the a in "father". If you've ever studied Japanese or read manga, you might be familiar with the suffix "-chan," which is a very familiar suffix used primarily with close female friends. And that's exactly where my nickname came from: my real name is Kerry, my friends added the -chan, and eventually it got shortened to K-chan. I just prefer to write it as KChan when creating usernames.

I pronounce mine like "ee-ron-gal", basically exactly likes it spelled, so the first part is like a long e, as in "seen". Also, in so far as i can tell, i made up the name completely, so it's mine to choose pronunciation. I say that its unique to me because searching on google only returns results that are things to do with me using it as a username. However, the shortened name i usually go by with it (eero, pronounced ee-row) is apparently a real name.

dar-NEEL

I made up the name for my first Amber:DRPG character while I was in either 10th or 11th grade. (So, anywhere from '93-'95.) In one of my history classes, we were taught about Jacob Riis, and the teacher pronounced his last name REES. I thought it was cool how a double-i made that sound, so I stole it knowing I would use it in a name at some point.

Up until recently, this name has always pointed to me on the 'nets. However, I discovered in the past year that it has somehow made its way into someone's ebook.

I pronounce mine as it's spelled, so "fel-ox-ya", but you can pronounce it as "fel-oh-sha" as well I guess. That's how a lot of people first read it as and I don't really care either way. I accidentally typed my name in wrong on my friend's phone as Feloxia, and I was too lazy to change it. And then I thought it would be an awesome username.

That's a good topic.

The thing is, I don't know how to indicate pronunciation in English the way you guys do it. I can read it, sure, but I don't know how to write it myself. More or less my nick would me pronounced the same way that if you took it exactly as it is and read it as if it were written with international phonetic symbols.

Pronunciation in Spanish is easy, so we don't really make a fuss about this matters. We say "it's written the way it sounds". The only thing in my nick that does not sound Spanish is the "ll". In my language, that usually sounds different than a double l, whilst it's a double l in my case. but that's a license I took XD.

Okay, this is easy.

Say 'Shiver'. Say it a few times. Get a good hang of it.

Then, say 'tongue', as in that appendage inside your mouth. The one that, actually, lets you say this exact word and all others. Try it out a few times.

Then, put both words together. If you like, add the rest of my Discordian Pope name, 'von Slamdance'. And don't forget the silent and invisible 'q' in the middle of 'von'. 'Slamdance' should be simple.

There is a story behind the name. But I won't be telling you what it is. :P

I doubt anyone needs this, but as I have had someone mispronounce "Hyde" in real life, it sounds exactly like the word "hide."

Hyde was my last name before I was married. I started using it online a few years ago because I wasn't creative enough to think of a pseudonym that really suited me and I decided that I wasn't particularly worried about crazy internet stalkers. As a bonus, everyone thinks I'm making a literary reference.

Em (like you are saying the letter 'm')-er (the noise that you make when you can't think of) -al (like the name)-is (like you are hissing)

Simple enough, but my own father mispronounced it, saying the em like the -eme ending of grapheme.

Oh! found a good text audio reader site. http://www.naturalreaders.com/index.htm

1. go there
  2. in the text box on the right put in "emerrhalissss"
  3. switch to the "kate" voice
  4. press go

that should produce something similar. (The voice pronounces the h but without the h it gets the r wrong. so just remove the h sound.)

TRIUMVIRATE - http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/triumvirate

tri-um-vir-ate

(try-UHM-vr-it)

Funny story. Another flip of the coin, and you all would've known me as "Kyrbi0", my username for... just about everything else, pre-Mission. I'm a big believer in unique or creative usernames, and avoiding letter-swapping or numbers (*cough* XxNarut0xX1689 *cough*)... And yet I did both. Constantly. Mostly for the comfort of it all. However, I decided to 're-invent' a bit once I got home.

The word itself... Well, I'm a big history-buff and language-buff. I love esoteric vocabulary (<-- self-referential, ha). To make a long story short, it involves a fantasy idea I hope to work up someday. Has nothing to do with my having Multiple Personality Disorder, no siree...

But just look at it... Ah, it's so beautiful. It's nice and long (can be abbreviated as a nickname), carries with it a lot of historical and linguistic meaning, is fairly archaic (so it's not likely to be taken as a username already)... BTW, that game where you make words out of other words (i.e. forming "lend" and "car" from "calendar")? Yeah, I'm still doing that for this word. It's over 9000 almost to 100, last I checked. Ridiculous. : )

• 2 weeks later...