Elantrians off Sel: Whence their power

MasterK-Bob

Okay so I'm the latest book we see Elantrians seem to have most of their powers off Sel. Where does the power come from? I assumed in Lost metal there was still a bunch of unkeyed Dor available. Does the sorceress just have a bunch of invisible Dor in her tower? Or another unkeyed investiture source that can power AonDor? It looked like they didn't have most of their powers off-world back in Secret History, but a lot of time has passed since then.

Just having bottled Dor isn't enough, we see Elantrians drink Dor in Secret History and they remained old. Reread the scene in Lost Metal, the drawing of the map of Bilming and how that seemed to stabilized their power. Now think back to the Sorcereress Tower, and the world map of Lumar they had on the floor. Consider that, with their similarities. That is most likely answer on how they figured out getting their full power outside of Elantris 

5 hours ago, iceblade44 said:

Just having bottled Dor isn't enough, we see Elantrians drink Dor in Secret History and they remained old. Reread the scene in Lost Metal, the drawing of the map of Bilming and how that seemed to stabilized their power. Now think back to the Sorcereress Tower, and the world map of Lumar they had on the floor. Consider that, with their similarities. That is most likely answer on how they figured out getting their full power outside of Elantris 

The map being part of it makes a lot of sense, but still, the Dor is in Sel's cognitive realm. The mingled power of Devotion and Dominion aren't just overflowing and trying to break their cognitive bounds at any opportunity like they seem to be on Sel (and moreso if there has been no release for a while). Where is the investiture the map is tapping into, since the Dor is more in the cognitive than the spiritual, leaving perhaps a bit less room for Spiritual Mumbo Jumbo?

Edited by MasterK-Bob

3 minutes ago, MasterK-Bob said:

The map being part of it makes a lot of sense, but still, the Dor is in Sel's cognitive realm. The mingled power of Devotion and Dominion aren't just overflowing and trying to break their cognitive bounds at any opportunity like they seem to be on Sel (and moreso if there has been no release for a while). Where is the investiture the map is tapping into, since the Dor is more in the cognitive than the spiritual, leaving perhaps a bit less room for Spiritual Mumbo Jumbo?

Possibly the same Investiture source the Aether spores have to tap into to facilitate their rapid growth. But we do know the Ire have the ability to pipe Dor across the Cognitive Realm.

Probably map is only part of system, and second part is "converter" of available Investiture to Dor "Standard" or Connection shennanigans allowing Elantrian to tap to the most available local source of Investirure. Or maybe part of Devotion and Dominion power remined in Spiritual Realm (actually it is very likely, because this is where Shards are mostly) and proper Aon program can draw it directly.

This makes some sense, but I am drawn to the fact that Elantrian power was super nerfed even in Teod, which had just as much access to the Dor, presumably, as Elantris, and the Ire seem way less powerful in the cognitive realm of Scadrial than they do in Elantris in Secret History, even if they can still do amazing things with preparation, those things aren't applicable nearly as easily as AonDor. Maybe that's just because it's in the cognitive realm, but presumably, the thing that allows for Elantrians in the first place IS Elantris. Or do we think that just greatly amplifies the power and harnesses so much of it that if it is imperfect, it totally gets in the way?

It’s implied that Riina had her own version of the Aon Rao similar to what we see Shai have to do in TLM meaning her island probably acted like her own little Elantris. We also seem to now be in the Era where keyed Investiture no longer creates too much an obstacle for switching between different systems.

7 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

Probably map is only part of system, and second part is "converter" of available Investiture to Dor "Standard" or Connection shennanigans allowing Elantrian to tap to the most available local source of Investirure. Or maybe part of Devotion and Dominion power remined in Spiritual Realm (actually it is very likely, because this is where Shards are mostly) and proper Aon program can draw it directly.

This is my best guess as well that she is taping in to whatever investiture the spores are using to fuel her AonDor. Although one thing I found odd in TLM was you would think that Shai's Elantrian soul casting would have only lasted as long as she had access to the "Dor in a jar" but that does not seem to be the case. Does AonDor need a steady stream of investiture or just as a primer then there is some kind of connection mechanics with the maps? This does not seem right to me and honestly would be pretty OP with the power level of magic being able to be used without some resource being used. 

20 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

This is my best guess as well that she is taping in to whatever investiture the spores are using to fuel her AonDor. Although one thing I found odd in TLM was you would think that Shai's Elantrian soul casting would have only lasted as long as she had access to the "Dor in a jar" but that does not seem to be the case. Does AonDor need a steady stream of investiture or just as a primer then there is some kind of connection mechanics with the maps? This does not seem right to me and honestly would be pretty OP with the power level of magic being able to be used without some resource being used. 

I assume with Shai the jar of Dor allowed for the Essence Mark Soulforging and drawing of the Basin variant Rao Aon but after that her Aon usage actually drew on the Mists which begs the question is what she did no longer considered AonDor but AonMist?