What's up with Ulaam?

MasterK-Bob

Why does Ulaam want all sorts of body parts? I think he's a kandra right, but can't kandra make all human organs and tissues besides bones? What's the benefit of a kidney or a liver except to learn to copy them? Also why does he keep himself grey and corpselike?

Maybe this is all answered. I'm only halfway done but I couldn't get this out of my head

Edited by MasterK-Bob

Hoid, the Narrator, mentions offhand about "They got weirder when Sazed released them".  So I guess at some point, Sazed lets them go off to do whatever they want.  And, well, if YOU weren't tied to any particular look and were free to pursue whatever you wish, then I'm sure after a few centuries you'd be all kinds of eccentric as well, lol.  

It seems he is collecting the most optimally functioning organs he can find. It seems he is very interested in human anatomy and organ function, and even comments on how he needs tress' remarkable brain, etc. He also suggests that he might be looking to figure out how to let humans function similarly to him, lacking a heart, and consuming fewer calories. 

So presumably he is trying to get the most detailed understanding of human biology in the cosmere, and/or upgrade himself, or others

1 hour ago, HavingTheHasHoidAPurpose? said:

Im pretty sure if a kandra has a bit of your blood, they can craft a new organ from your own dna and cells, making a perfect organ donation

That's how MeLaan healed Marasi that time in Bands. The real question is what Ulaam's healing concoctions are. Forton's potions, perhaps? Or liquid kandra juice?

13 hours ago, RaeTheRaven said:

Hmm... as a geneticist that rubs me slightly the wrong way, but I'll accept it. xD

This is why kandra have bothered me for years. If they can replicate genetic material, shouldn't they be able to use that genetic material to produce all kinds of cells, including bone and hair? I get that it takes a long time to make that stuff, but kandra are immortal, and I can see numerous benefits to being able to control every stage of development of bone growth to achieve specific results.

2 hours ago, HSuperLee said:

This is why kandra have bothered me for years. If they can replicate genetic material, shouldn't they be able to use that genetic material to produce all kinds of cells, including bone and hair? I get that it takes a long time to make that stuff, but kandra are immortal, and I can see numerous benefits to being able to control every stage of development of bone growth to achieve specific results.

Also, if they can make nails, why can they not make hair? Makes no sense.