Hoid and Lewis

This is a thread about tone and theming rather than lore and and theories.  I have noticed how peculiar the perspective is in tress and the emerald sea and how similar it is to the works of fiction of C.S. Lewis, to begin:

1.both narrators exist as characters inside the story yet narrate from the outside, (admittedly there is a difference here is that hoid actually appears IN the story, whereas  the Narrator in Lewis' stories only exist in the fact he describes the events of his own life)

2.Both narrator's clearly know more than they should, for the sake of the story, yet are not omniscient

3. Both narrators even while knowing the moral of the story intellectually have flaws and opinions of their own, sometimes outright contradicting the lessons of the characters they describe. Startlingly human in their sage-ness.

4. Both narrators see a humorous nature to human nature. Repeatedly both narrators present counter intuitive reasponses to simple stimuli (think King Miraz going to battle specifically because his advisors told him not to, or Laggart being terrified of being forgiven)

5. In the post script Brandon describes his novel as "a fairytale for grownups"  a phrase C.S. Lewis himself used to describe his own work, namely the Space Trilogy

6.Finally the piece of evidence I find most convincing. The simple but convincing logic that is present in both. The scene where Tress debates leaving with her parents is very similar to Peter and Susan's discussion with Professor Kirke. Nether hides the apparent contradictions nor confuses with word games they simply analyze the situation through reason.

I'm curious as to what you all think, am I reading to much into it, or do you think I hit something?

Edited by Lesser spren

Firstly, I love C.S. Lewis's books. 

Secondly, I think Brandon might have taken some inspiration from Lewis, but not as a primary influence. In the postscript, he talks about how The Princess Bride was a big influence. While Goldman's book is where the story started, I do think he incorporated things he liked from Lewis's works.

Thirdly, "a fairytale for grownups" is a phrase I love, and I will end up using it as often as I can.

(p.s. FOR NARNIA!)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, The Sibling said:

I would have gone with Autonomy, but sure!

Autonomy can be Tash. (The other satan)

I mostly want Odium to be Jadis, so Moash can be Edmund.

Edited by Argenti

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hoid's a lot snarkier and more cynical than Lewis, and generally has a much more noticeable voice.

I did find it amusing that we now have a second fantasy story about people sailing into the unknown where one of the main characters is a talking mouse/rat in an otherwise-human crew.