Bands Draining Theory from BOM

Storyspren

Apologies if this has already been said but I believe the Wax and Milan agreed to Bands drain or swap  the BOM right in front of our eyes.

I am on an audiobook relisten. Near the end of BOM after the climatic fight, Milan notices Wax doesn't seem upset about relinquishing the bands. There is an odd sentence after that comment about something secret passing between them that hopefully wouldn't go beyond just the two of them. 

Therefore I believe Wax and Milan conspired to remove the Bands from the field of play. 

K thanks bye!

11 hours ago, Lightning said:

Another possiblity is that the assistant governor drained them, and pretended that they had already been empty (in collussion with the Malwish ambassador).

My thought is similar, with a big difference.  Collusion between the assistant governor and Malwish, but that the Bands weren't drained.  She just lied about it to make it easier for the Elendelians to give them up.  She was the only one who tried them, correct?

Edited by Lidolas

51 minutes ago, Lidolas said:

My thought is similar, with a big difference.  Collusion between the assistant governor and Malwish, but that the Bands weren't drained.  She just lied about it to make it easier for the Elendelians to give them up.  She was the only one who tried them, correct?

No, I think Bands go around different people and even TenSoon confirmed they are drained.

17 minutes ago, alder24 said:

No, I think Bands go around different people and even TenSoon confirmed they are drained.

I thought they could only be used by a metal born from what she had said.

“Now,” Adawathwyn said, striding around the table to TenSoon, “let’s see how these work. Give me the Bands. Let me walk Harmony’s Path and save the city! I am Metalborn, a Ferring of the mind.

But you're right Ten Soon confirmed they were drained.

They passed them around, letting everyone try. Finally TenSoon took them, his face scrunched up in thought. Then horror followed. “They’re drained,” he whispered. “Something has happened … How…?”

Chapter 48.

12 hours ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

It's possible that she tapped them all in collusion with the Malwish.

Or the Malwish could have some sort of (Thaylen-style) investiture-remover-tuning-fork-thing.

If she just tapped them all, she would explode with power - weight, strength, speed etc - and allomantic powers (or not as she didn't have metals in her stomach) - that would be very visible (like Marasi in BoM, who was leaking mists from her), yet it didn't happen. She could be a nicrosil fering and just tapped all the nicrosilmind that grants abilities, and now Bands are still invested, but don't grant any allomantic and feruchemical powers. Or they had some investiture blocking/leeching tech that was used. However leeching from metalminds is possible only when metalminds are tapped (per WoB). It also might be a ruse, some sort of duplicate, and true Bands were replaced with fake one, when she grabbed them, or even earlier.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2023 at 7:14 AM, alder24 said:

If she just tapped them all, she would explode with power - weight, strength, speed etc - and allomantic powers (or not as she didn't have metals in her stomach) - that would be very visible (like Marasi in BoM, who was leaking mists from her), yet it didn't happen.

It could also be that she tapped all of the powers of the Bands, but siphoned them directly into another Metalmind, thus preserving her ability to use them for personal use, but also preventing anyone from using them to stop the Set's machinations. 

But then you would need to ask, why didn't she use them to help the Set stop Wax and Wayne later? Maybe there was too much infighting at the time? Or maybe she just was too far away from the city they were in?

2 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

It could also be that she tapped all of the powers of the Bands, but siphoned them directly into another Metalmind, thus preserving her ability to use them for personal use, but also preventing anyone from using them to stop the Set's machinations. 

But then you would need to ask, why didn't she use them to help the Set stop Wax and Wayne later? Maybe there was too much infighting at the time? Or maybe she just was too far away from the city they were in?

Can she do that and store that much that fast? It would still have to go through her body first, so for a split moment she would be muscular like nobody before, and that would be visible - her clothes wouldn't withstand that.

I doubt she's with Set, she either works for Ghostbloods or Malwish. She was very keen on getting on Malwish ship as fast as possible.

48 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Can she do that and store that much that fast? It would still have to go through her body first, so for a split moment she would be muscular like nobody before, and that would be visible - her clothes wouldn't withstand that.

I doubt she's with Set, she either works for Ghostbloods or Malwish. She was very keen on getting on Malwish ship as fast as possible.

Her inborn power is increased mental speed, so perhaps that let her get around something? 

10 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:

Her inborn power is increased mental speed, so perhaps that let her get around something? 

It could, but I can't see how. I don't have a book with me now, but I think she said something like "I'm a mental ferring" so either she's a zinc ferring, or one of the other three metals from the cognitive quadrant, or she just lied. I can't see how any one of cognitive metals would be helpful, zinc would make her come up with an idea how to drain/steal the Bands, but at that point in the office she had to have it already figured out.

Another explanation could be that a primer cube of A-chromium, or better A-aluminum, was active in the office, which would prevent them from using the Bands at all. But then, if A-aluminum was used, why would TenSoon say that they are fully empty?  It has to be A-chromium that drained them fully when she got them and tapped them at that moment.

1 hour ago, alder24 said:

It could be that Feruchemists can simply move the Investiture from one Metalmind to another without it taking hold of their own self, even if it has to move through them to reach from one Metalmind to another. 

Arcanum Unbounded release party (Nov. 22, 2016)

Lightning

If you have a metalmind, you have, like, weight stored in it, and you want to transfer it to a different metalmind, can you just transfer it directly? Or does it pass into you, and then you lose some of the power, and then it goes...

Brandon Sanderson

You don't have to draw it completely out. You are gonna lose a little in the transfer. But it's not as much as you probably think. You can kind of do a little hack thing where it goes through.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, lacrossedeamon said:

That would probably interfere with the use of the Bands, but I doubt it would cause them to appear drained. (Also, you need to spoiler that comment. This is a Mistborn only forum.)

Edited by UnfortunatelyNamed

1 hour ago, alder24 said:

I think SH3! SH2 shoud be about Kel's body and creating Bands! :P 

I think Brandon has implied that if he does a SH2 it might focus on Hoid and stuff like his activities in Era 1 (and hopefully up til him saving Wax on that boat). Maybe it can be a multi parter. Part 1 Hoid era 1 Part 2 Kel early era 2 Part 3 Hoid late era 2 Part 4 Kel late era 2.