The Way of Kings Style Epigraph for a Game of Thrones fic I found

Mistbreaker

Alright, so, this is going to be different from my usual posts but I really felt like sharing this and asking for a second opinion to be sure I wasn't imagining things.

Basically, I started reading a really unique Game of Thrones fanfic compared to what I usually find and starting on chapter 88, during its 7h story arc which concludes Act 1 the tale according to the author notes, the writer started adding epigraphs to the beginning of each chapter of that arc. And I am really pretty sure that the style is based on Hoid's letter to Frost in Way of King's in terms of style and partial content but it's instead altered to fit the vast worldbuilding (for fanfiction standards anyway) that the writer has been working, expanding, and aluding to for and more. Long story short, as far as I can tell, the writer has been filling in the gaps of the ancient and prehistoric past of Planetos (the world of Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire book series) with some World of Warcraft cosmological lore, particularly when it comes to the origins of the deities from the religions of that world. Among other things anyway.

But regardless, I started getting extra intrigued by the inclusion of the epigraphs and what I suspect they may hint at. So, I thought I might share it here and maybe get a second opinion from you all to see if anyone else agrees that he at least partially based own epigraph on the Way of King's one that had Hoid's letter to Frost (although in this one, it appears the one getting the letter is instead R'hllor, the Lord of Light from one of the religions of that world). Anyway, I found i most curious for I have never seen anything like it in all my years reading fanfiction so, here is the copy/paste in case any of you wants to check it out:

To the last of the Prime on Planetos,

Old friend, I have spent a considerable portion of my power to ensure this missive reaches you. And for what it is worth, I hope it finds you well. Though, as you are essentially immortal, I would guess that wellness on your part is something of a given.

Even if the relative impotence caused by your imprisonment fills my words with irony.

I realize that you are probably still angry, even if the Light fills the very core of your essence. That is pleasant to know. Much as your perpetual health, I have come to rely upon your dissatisfaction with me. It is one of creation’s great constants, I should think.

Let me first assure you that I know what you are up to. I felt the Prophetic Quake and I have tracked its source at the Wall. Furthermore, it has come to my attention that you spoke with the new cosmic player when he was still on Braavos. The winds told me, you might say.

You do not agree with my quest, and I understand that, so much as it is possible to understand someone with whom I disagree so completely.

Might I be quite frank? Long ago, you asked why I was so concerned. It is for the following reason: Once upon a time, Leaf’s human lover and the Lion of Night were some of the kindest, most promising men I have ever known.

And you saw what became of them.

Wyk, on the other hand, was among the most loathsome, crafty, and dangerous individuals I had ever met. And despite his frightening and terrible powers, he hasn’t been able to prevent the Great Other from meddling in his domain.

Ponder on all this for a time, you old Naaru, and tell me if your insistence on believing in this ascended mortal is based on a logical pattern or emotional stupidity.

Because I assure you, this Jon “Stark” will not be similarly inhibited in the end, not with the Night King’s god stirring at long last and his influence growing. The temptation of unleashing the full might of his new powers will eventually surpass the restraints of his weakened flesh.

One need only look at the aftermath of your ancient enemy’s manipulations on Yeen right after the Doom to see proof of what I say.

In case you have somehow managed to turn a blind eye to that disaster, know that Hrazef, Pantera, and Balerion are all dead, murdered when they sought shelter on Sothoryos. Presumably to prevent them from rising up to challenge his icy champion after overwhelming Westeros.

And try as I might, the Winter Queen remains elusive.

We were fortunate enough to be able to count on Azor Ahai in the first Long Night. Even more so to count on the Last Hero during the second one. But I remain unconvinced that we should risk putting our hopes in this new Incest God, of all things, for the third Long Night.

Even if his ascension had a Titan’s seal of approval.

Unrestrained power has always been a problem for beings like us and despite his limits, there are simply too many ways for your so-called Promised One to reshape the wrong thing due to his limited perspective and ruin everything.

Honorable upbringing or not, his raw potential defies description and that should scare us all.

Of course, there are not that many of us left to fear these possibilities. I suppose that’s, in part, your point. After all, even the Light of your Seven closest allies has been shattered by now. Between all that and your imprisonment, enthusiastic hope must be hard to come by.

That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be cautious.

To make matters worse, the Oracle of the Weirwood has been restored; its nature god that Greenseers used to worship finally awakening in full. I would have normally rejoiced at the return of one of our brethren in these dangerous times, but it seems that he has sided with your champion too, my warnings be damned.

Even the wise cannot see all ends and that includes deities with foresight.

You have accused me of arrogance in my quest. You have accused me of perpetuating my grudge against Wyk to our collective detriment. Both accusations are true.

Neither point makes the things I have written to you unworthy of consideration.

I am being chased. Your friends from the Xenedar I suspect. I believe they're still lost, following a false trail I left for them on the island of Ibb. They'll be happier that way. I doubt they would have any inkling of what to do with me should they actually catch me.

Especially if I tell them who exactly you have been backing on this planet.

If anything I have said makes a glimmer of sense to you, I trust that you'll call them off. Or maybe you could astound me and ask them to do something productive for once.

The Void is ultimately a more dangerous threat to existence than Sargeras’ armies, after all and like I said, the Great Other is finally stirring.

Regardless, I have never been dedicated to a more important purpose. You may find that hard to believe but despite our disagreements in the past, you cannot deny that the incredibly vast potential of this ascended mortal could easily make too much noise across the stars.

So, if we err in our judgments, the very pillars of the sky will shake with the results of the wars to come once the Third Long Night approaches...should this new god attract HIS unwanted attention to our world.

So, I ask again, R’hllor: Support me.

Do not let your faith in this clueless mortal blind you to the point you’ll let disaster consume our world. Use him to get him to release you from your prison if you must but do us all a favor and slay him the first chance you get.

I've never begged you for something before in all the millennia we have known each other, old friend.

I do so now.

I truly hope this letter reached the confines of your prison and that we can reach an understanding...for our world's future may change considerably depending on what we ultimately decide.

Sincerely,

The Storm God that the Ironborn and their thrice damned Drowned God grew to fear, but better known to you as the Elemental Lord of Air native to Planetos.

So, what do you think?

Here it is: https://archiveofourown.org/works/27117209/chapters/66217577

It's definitely the most uniquely intriguing and plot heavy smut story I have ever read on Archive of Our Own. Also, it hasn't reached actual, full blown crossover levels with World of Warcraft yet, at least as of chapter 109. So far, any refereces seem to be either aspects borrwed to fill in prehistoric, religious or magical gaps about Planetos that we don't know enough yet or perhaps some partial set up for later. 

Happy reading! Hope you enjoy it too. It was quite the experience on my end.