Xisis and his species

RedBlue

On 1/4/2023 at 2:21 PM, StormingTexan said:

So since Xisis is obviously the same as Foil mentioned by Khriss I wonder what Frost real name is (assuming it is a nickname similar to Foil). 

I think this is pretty likely, but I don’t think we could rule out the possibility that Foil might be the name of one of his servants. I could see one of Kriss’s colleagues willingly becoming Xisis’s servant in the name of research.

2 hours ago, SilverLumos said:

I think this is pretty likely, but I don’t think we could rule out the possibility that Foil might be the name of one of his servants. I could see one of Kriss’s colleagues willingly becoming Xisis’s servant in the name of research.

Good point. 

On 5.1.2023 at 8:49 AM, Oltux72 said:

There is the thing. The areas of research do not match. The ecology of the bottom of the spore oceans and control of the aethers are hard to see as the same thing.

I was stupid. This point is baseless. There are possibly centuries between the Ars Arcanum of Rhythm of War and this book. He could simply have finished his former research. And frankly he did control crimson spores.

On 1/5/2023 at 2:32 PM, Serack said:

Actually, this may be an artifact of their being fain, which presumably are modeled after the "fae" which have similar lore about having to make trades.

WoB:

We also see this sorta with Cultivation by way of the Nightwatcher's boon and curses. I also see Xisis's ability grant boons and the knowledge needed to do so such as knowing Ann's condition and prescription as possibly being Old Magic related.

4 hours ago, lacrossedeamon said:

We also see this sorta with Cultivation by way of the Nightwatcher's boon and curses. I also see Xisis's ability grant boons and the knowledge needed to do so such as knowing Ann's condition and prescription as possibly being Old Magic related.

Oh that is a good catch. We should definitely make that a question for a spoiler stream. Whether what Xisis did with his trades and what happens in Old Magic is connected, even if its just tangential 

On 2023-01-04 at 1:16 AM, RedBlue said:

Xisis implies that he fears Riina, and nobody else on Lumar. This suggests that a single, sufficiently skilled, Elantrian could realistically pose a threat to a dragon.

As Hoid's narration notes:

Even if the odds were only one in five that she’d lose, you didn’t live long by frequently taking one-in-five chances that you’ll die.

-Tress, chapter 64

Even if it's not a huge threat, it's probably a large enough threat that he'd not wish to confront her.

Now, I think that a sufficiently skilled/intelligent and prepared Elantrian is one of the most dangerous opponents you could face, wholly apart from the Awakened soldiers and Midnight Essence she also commands.

What is that thing Xisis does with the cloth? It looks like Awakening, but Xisis doesn’t speak to do it. Was the cloth ‘pre-programmed’ and just waiting to be turned on by a gesture?

I think the simple explanation that it's pre-Awakened might be correct, like Vasher's "upon call"-Commands. Either that or vague dragon magic (or whatever it is that creates the structure and the corridor down.)

How does Xisis ‘watch’ the sea? How does he know when someone throws in a message?

The message is noted as being in a particular container, which I imagine might be significant.

Crow proved this by  
tossing a letter overboard, held in the traditional glass case, as her  
books instructed.

-Tress, chapter 50

I'd assume that he's got something, a device, an "enchantment" (like something Aonic) or something set up to detect objects within certain specified parameters.

Whatever the mechanism is, it then alerts him of a hit. I don't think that he's actively dedicating power and concentration to this.

Where does he get his servants from? Are they all from people like Crow, who find him and bring him a new slave in return for something?

I could imagine that some people offer themselves in exchange for a boon for someone else, in addition to people being enslaved forcefully.

We also don't know how many 'servants' he actually needs, so the population might not need topping up very often, and he indicates that they don't suffer from disease.

The dragon hushed her with a click of his claw. He narrowed iri-
descent eyes at Tress. “Tell me, why is it you do not wish to serve me?  
Contrary to what you might have been told, my servants are treated  
well. You shall know no disease while you are here. You shall have  
engaging work, regular meals, and books in your off hours to read at  
your leisure.”

Tress, chapter 52

So they should have longer lives, on average.

Also, depending on exactly what the situation is, some of them might breed.

Where did the objects he traded to Tress come from? How did he know Ann’s prescription? Or where Salary’s father was?

The tablet he might have made, assuming it's an Awakened device. Ann's prescription, magic of some variety, combined with enough knowledge. Salay's father... who the heck knows... Invested tech that we don't get to look at because it's not that kind of story? Something analogous to whatever's keeping tabs on his part of the ocean?

Why is Xisis afraid to tangle with Riina?

See what I quoted earlier, he might just not want to take the gamble.

Why is it so rare to see a dragon, if they have no problem interacting, and like collecting information and trading?

Seems to be a bit like why you don't see Antarctic researchers very often, or the hermit halfway up the mountain, it's a hassle to get there. Also, there might not be that many of them.

On 2023-01-04 at 10:30 AM, Oltux72 said:

Presumably Lumar has slave markets.

I don't think we know enough to say, the closest we see, outside of bargaining with a dragon, is debt slavery. People in debtors' prisons can be pressed into service, but not a word about being sold.

Also, even if they do have slave markets, who would he send to buy slaves? The ones he has aren't allowed in the hallway when the door is open, so that they won't get any silly ideas about the outside world.

¤_¤