The Alcatraz-ization of Hoid’s Narration

WhatFace

So, this is an idea I had after reading some people’s thoughts of Hoid’s narration. Namely, how he seems to mention a lot more modern inventions than he does in other books - for example, talking about vending-machines at the end of Chapter 54, or name-dropping laptops.

This is interesting, because modern technology doesn’t appear in most Cosmere books. Era 2’s Scadrial is the most advanced civilization we’ve seen so far.

And that, combined with the fact that Hoid frequently comments on tropes and storytelling and all that, and sometimes fudges details for comedy (see: the Dougs), leads me to one realization: At least in Secret Projects 1 and 3, Sanderson is writing Hoid very similarly to how he writes Alcatraz.

Think about it! A powerful white dude snarkily commenting on storytelling while retelling his adventures from decades ago? That’s basically Alcatraz Smedry from “Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians”!

I don’t think this tone will really maintained for “Dragonsteel”, mainly because… Hoid is the protagonist of that story, so he’s not going to be robbed of his faculties or ability to move. He has much more personal investment, so he’ll be a lot less quippy.