Hoid's Audience in Tress

NewbSombrero

7 minutes ago, ranstang94 said:

Or a guest lecture at Silverlight? Regardless I also was worried about the lack of Design.

I second both of these. My thoughts were a Scadrian in Silverlight due to the specific Ironeyes reference and "Worldbringer", though with the other references wider Cosmere knowledge is kinda a necessity. Also consider him name-dropping Sazed to provoke a specific reaction (shock at his blasphemy) from a Scadrian, and never referencing the Kandra as a "Kandra" as the audience would know what he means....

It's Demoux, isn't it. (No reason behind other than Worldhopping Scadrian, just a crackpot theory)

Also: Sanderson if you kill Design I will NEVER FORGIVE YOU.  Design is precious.

(Though he could just be omitting her as to not spoil any part of KoWaT)

On 1/3/2023 at 4:23 PM, RedBlue said:

Also, I see a lot of people latching on to the Aviar reference as a hint that the audience is from First of the Sun. I think that’s a bit of a leap. Lots of people know what an Aviar is; Aviar have been traded to other planets via Shadesmar for ages (Mraize had one way before the space age). Aviar are probably common knowledge by this point. And the ‘around the world’ vs ‘around their world’ phrasing is just how that phrase goes.

I think the Aviar is meaningful because of the full context. Yes Aviar are known on other planets but he says it in a way the audience would associate as a common practice and engrained in the culture as it is on FoS. I guess their is a possibility that other planets like Roshar would figure out that it is helpful to have an Aviar on ships but presumably at the time this story would take place Roshar would be at a high tech level (like we see in the FoS sequel chapters) and not afraid of sea monsters.

1 hour ago, StormingTexan said:

I think the Aviar is meaningful because of the full context. Yes Aviar are known on other planets but he says it in a way the audience would associate as a common practice and engrained in the culture as it is on FoS. I guess their is a possibility that other planets like Roshar would figure out that it is helpful to have an Aviar on ships but presumably at the time this story would take place Roshar would be at a high tech level (like we see in the FoS sequel chapters) and not afraid of sea monsters.

I would find it very odd if Aviar’s usefulness in navigation weren’t widely known. Other cultures need to navigate dangerous areas too, and if Aviar are a major export of First of the Sun, you can bet it’s common for navigators everywhere to use Aviar.

Besides, you could make this argument for Scadrial (Hoid namedrops Sazed) and Roshar (Nahel bonds) as much as for First of the Sun.

Also, if he is telling the story to a bunch of First of the Sun natives, you have to explain why (other than the Aviar) he references Scadrian animals throughout the story instead of First of the Sun animals.

49 minutes ago, RedBlue said:

I would find it very odd if Aviar’s usefulness in navigation weren’t widely known. Other cultures need to navigate dangerous areas too, and if Aviar are a major export of First of the Sun, you can bet it’s common for navigators everywhere to use Aviar.

We don't really know why people want Aviars so badly. We've only seen two varieties so far. Considering Scadrians, which have A-Copper already want them, there has to be very useful abilities we don't know about. And considering that they have been traded since at least the time frame of Stormlight, yeah they are probably very well known

Besides, you could make this argument for Scadrial (Hoid namedrops Sazed) and Roshar (Nahel bonds) as much as for First of the Sun.

While possibly true, Sazed's namedrop seems more like Hoid talking to himself than intentionally bringing him up, and SotD sequel makes it clear that First of the Sun inhabitants have been learning more about the wider Cosmere (even if in a limited fashion) so it could make sense for them to know what a Nahel Bond is. The reference to the Aviar though sounds like a story only natives would be familiar with 

Also, if he is telling the story to a bunch of First of the Sun natives, you have to explain why (other than the Aviar) he references Scadrian animals throughout the story instead of First of the Sun animals.

I'm sure they have many of the same animals, the only wildlife truly unique to Scadrial that we know about are Mistwraiths

3 hours ago, RedBlue said:

Sure but he says this to the audience mentioning a very FoS sounding name (so much so the Coppermind is already attributing it to FoS). So someone from another planet would rather hear a story about someone that tried sail across the world without an Aviar? 

3 hours ago, RedBlue said:

I think we need to realize some of these phrases are the typical "Hoid does not care if the audience knows what they mean". This is different than when he says the thing about the Aviar or the ship landing on the planet in my opinion. 

I am not 100% sold on the audience being from FoS but I think it is one of the strongest contenders. It is going to be somewhere we have seen since Brandon said we may be able to puzzle it out so not a random planet we have not seen that uses Aviar.

I also like the idea that it could be a group of worldhoppers as has been proposed but my problem with that is he seemed to think they wouldn't understand some of the tech mentioned (like when he says laptop but then changes it to magic screen or whatever). I would think a group of worldhoppers would know just as much about the existence of the advanced tech as he does at this future time. 

Edited by StormingTexan

While it could be a mixed group at Silverlight, I am also of the mind that he is talking to First of the Sunners specifically. As for the reference to his alias Wit we see he takes similar positions on multiple worlds such as the Imperial Fool of the Rose Empire on Sel. Kingmaker also implies Hoid getting close to First of the Sunner royalty in some way, possibly as a court jester again.

• 2 weeks later...