Am I supposed to know who oolong is?

I’m going to assume you mean the doctor? Ulaam is how you spell the name which would be tricky to know if you were listening so don’t worry. I’m going to spoiler my response because it is more cosmere aware. 

Spoiler

He is a kandra. His offering to buy body parts is reminiscent of Ven Dell, but I think they are different people. I can’t wait to see more of him though.

Edited by Philomath
Fixing spelling error that led to funny discussion of if 2 characters were 1 when they are in fact 1 and not 2.

1 hour ago, Lightspen of the Glass Sea said:

I checked the coppermind because I had the same feeling that we’d seen him before, and couldn’t find any reference to him other than from Tress. If he has shown up before, he didn’t call himself Ulaan.

We have seen tangential mention of Ulaam before (it ends in an M, not an N) - but not "on screen" - in The Lost Metal.

Spoiler

When MeLaan is breaking up with Wax, he asks if their six years together had been nothing to her, and she replies:

"It wasn't nothing. Just... Not what it was to you. I know I should have expected that. TenSoon warned me, Ulaam warned me. Mortals see time differently. They told me. I'm sorry, Wayne."

One might even infer that Ulaam is a kandra of the Third Generation, too, as is TenSoon - certainly a senior, mentor figure to MeLaan, in a way that VenDell of the Sixth Generation is not.

Edited by robardin

That would definitely explain why the name sounds so familiar. 
The two names are so close, though. I mean, I don’t know why a kandra would change one letter in their name, but that seems like the kind of thing wouldn’t be a coincidence. 
Also, I can’t imagine Ulaan giving relationship advice. But that’s just me 

6 hours ago, Lightspen of the Glass Sea said:

That would definitely explain why the name sounds so familiar. 
The two names are so close, though. I mean, I don’t know why a kandra would change one letter in their name, but that seems like the kind of thing wouldn’t be a coincidence. 

Kandra names are strongly, even by the form they are written in, suggested to be a compund of two components. "Laan" is even a known component from another Kandra.

In such a system you are bound to get names that share the second "Albert" & "Robert" or first component "Albert" & "Alfred". "Laam" and "laan" differ only in the last consonant, but so do "same" and "sane". That is no surprise. The evidence is inconclusive.

8 hours ago, PurpurPhönix said:

But it is Ulaam in TatES and not Ulaan, so it's presumably the same Kandra 

Oh yup. This is my bad for spelling it wrong and not catching it on my post up thread. I’ll edit it there too. Sorry everyone! Gotta love the irony of pointing out a “correct” written spelling and then messing it up…