Refraction and Bendalloy Bubbles *SPOILERS*

Soother

This brings up an interesting point: how much can Sliders/Pulsers control the sizes of their bubbles? We know that Pulsers can have bigger areas, but could they elect to effect only a small one? Can they choose to slow down time to a lesser degree? Or is it an on/off metal, like Copper?

The scene with Wayne at the party definitely implies that bubbles are of a fixed size:

“Oh, that’s a good point,” Wayne said, tipping his chair back. The person behind him had left, and with Lord Harms gone, Wayne had just enough room to—

—and there it was. He leaned his chair forward again, clothing changed back to a duster with a loose button-down shirt and thick Roughs trousers underneath. He spun his hat on his finger. The earrings were gone.

I don't think we have any references for changing the distortion ratio.

Actually, we do. Wax mentions that Wayne is flaring his metal at one point, to give them as much time as possible (I think it's at the first meeting with him)

Oh yeah! I had forgotten about that, thanks.

(I was probably too distracted by wondering why it was worth burning a rare metal to have that conversation right away, instead of half an hour later, once the guests had left.)

Oh yeah! I had forgotten about that, thanks.

(I was probably too distracted by wondering why it was worth burning a rare metal to have that conversation right away, instead of half an hour later, once the guests had left.)

Eccentricity's sake.

To talk about red-shift read the following pages. It's pre-AoL ideas on red-shift, settled by Peter saying "We're going to change some Laws"

Also, regarding this post:

As I mentioned, though, Wax (who is very experienced with speed bubbles) never tries to shoot even nearby enemies out of Wayne's bubbles (and if he could he certainly would have done so against Push, since catching that man off guard was a major goal of his through out the fight). Therefore, I think that even at close range, the deflection must be too severe.

He actually does shoot, out of the bullet once. Here's what happens:

AoL pg 300

The bullet shot out of the bubble in an instant, then hit slower time. It deflected, as bullets always did when fired from within a speed bubble.

Note that it deflects. I don't know what this means, but I'd imagine that Refraction factors into it. Wax and Marasi just have a "jostling", likely caused because as they exit, their velocity is changed to a slightly different direction, before gravity says "I don't care where you're facing, you're coming down here."

Right, but he clearly doesn't know exactly where the bullet is going to end up until he sees it deflect.

The discussion is about whether you could, given time, meaningfully compensate for the deflection/refraction, allowing to shoot out of it and hit things, rather than waiting until the moment it drops (as Wax does for his second, much more carefully-aimed, shot).

Unrelated to refraction, But Someone asked Brandon if making a Bendalloy bubble on a train would make it attach itself to the train. The answer was that Bendalloy bubbles can only attach themselves to the earth. Or Scadrial in this case.

• Chaos locked this topic