Poll: Favorite main character besides Kaladin

Stitof

Favorite main character besides Kaladin  

112 members have voted

1. 1. I love Kaladin, but he usually gets 90% of votes in a favorite main character poll so I was curious to see what would happen to the numbers if we took him out of the running. Vote away!

• Dalinar
    • Shallan
    • Adolin
    • Jasnah
    • Navani
    • Eshonai
    • Venli
    • Szeth

Daddynar. You're right Kaladin is my fav. Something about him resonates deeply with me.

Eshonai is a close second (third after Kaladin).

Szeth could still rise a lot, depending on SA5: I like his arc, but I want to see more character and backstory

I don't like Venli and I kind of hate Shallan. The rest are alright, I enjoyed Navani's science bit in RoW a lot and I think I'd like Adolin a lot more if I didn't hate Shallan.

My flash answer was something else.. like Dalinar or Jasnah.. but I realized if I were given the choice to read sample chapters.. it would have to be Adolin. Just a very relatable dude to a middleclass dude like myself. Very aware he isnt the smartest tool in the shed.. hell of a warrior. Will always try to do the right thing. How can you not like the guy?

I really like Szeth, but I love Dalinar as well. I ultimately chose Dalinar because I love how he is a fundamentally good person who overcomes his challenges and past mistakes.

I love Szeth because not only is he powerful and has a very interesting backstory I hope we can explore, but he also is very mentally unstable, and insanity is one of my favorite things to read about because it's so unnerving a beautiful at the same time.

For now, though, Dalinar gets my vote because his character really speaks to me.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/21/2022 at 9:15 PM, Frustration said:

:blink: I was unaware Adolin was so popular. 

Yeah I was surprised that so many people voted for him. I'd assumed the most popular would be Dalinar and Shallan. Dalinar did tie with Adolin, but I was really surprised to see Jasnah, Navani, and Szeth get more votes than Shallan. Jasnah's my favorite character (I would have voted for her even if Kaladin was on the poll) but I feel like she's less popular because we haven't gotten to see as much of her POV yet. 

On 12/21/2022 at 10:54 PM, The Halcyon Girl said:

I really liked Dalinar. It’s just… all these different things about him that just feel right.

Also, you cannot have my pain. Love that line.

I didn't like Oathbringer until this scene.

Second only to Kal swearing the Third Ideal in Words of Radiance.

I'm a big fan of Adolin, since he's pretty much the only main human/singer protagonist that hasn't said the oaths, and story wise I think it's important to have major characters that aren't empowered by the magic system of the story.  I've said it before, but one of the few things I dislike about Harry Potter is that there aren't any major characters that are muggles, besides the Dursleys.  

But in Oathbringer, Dalinar became a tie for my favorite character with Kaladin.  Well done redemption arcs are the best kind of story, and his is one of, if not the, best I've ever seen.  HIs refusal of Odium and his third ideal sent chills down my spine when I first heard it in my audio book, and it still does.

On 1/22/2023 at 3:08 PM, phillycheesesteak said:

I didn't like Oathbringer until this scene.

Second only to Kal swearing the Third Ideal in Words of Radiance.

I place Dalinar's third ideal higher, and I did like Oathbringer even before that scene, but still, I agree. Best two scenes in the series so far hands down.

• 6 months later...
On 12/21/2022 at 8:54 PM, The Halcyon Girl said:

I really liked Dalinar. It’s just… all these different things about him that just feel right.

Also, you cannot have my pain. Love that line.

Dalinar's character arc is so good! That's why Oathbringer is my favorite book.

To add onto the good Dalinar quotes: "The most important step a man can take is always the next one." My chem teacher actually quoted that line on the first day of class and I was so excited to have a teacher who is also a cosmere fan.

Dalinar is my fave regardless. I loooooove him so much. I really like Jasnah and Adolin in the first two or three, but in RoW they kinda sucked. Especially Adolin. Don't get me wrong, Adolin is awesome. But it kinda feels like they're focusing on one aspect of a formerly super complex character in the fourth Stormlight novel.

Dalinar is just so well written, especially in Oathbringer.

5 hours ago, Hatman said:

I would have voted for The Lopen, followed by Lyft, if they were on the list. 

Thank you so much for using his proper title.

My vote was close between Dalinar, Adolin and Szeth. I eliminated Adolin. I love how Dalinar tries so hard to do good— especially as he is surrounded by people literally betraying him to die as he trusts them. I think that Szeth’s morals/perspective is also very interesting. In the first and second books, he kills on command, but he hears their screams. We know that he does not enjoy the killing. He thinks that he is truthless, but he also believes that respecting his religion and those who guide it is more important than his own desires. Later, when he finds out that he was never truthless, he undergoes becoming new, as Nale said. He is able to let go of his guilt mostly. He starts following— agin very devotedly—a new law. The actual law. What interests me about him is that even as he followed his truthless orders, he still saw morality’s difference, although he didn’t act. As he follows the law, will he see where is isn’t moral, and will he act on it?

And uhhh, why isn’t WIT on there? (@ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ)

Edited by ΨιτιsτηεΒέsτ

"I'm a man of extremes, Navani"

I chose Dalinar, because of the way his character works. He's a man who's gone to the limit in everything he does. First he fights to unite Alethkar, and with the Thrill, he is totally consumed in the cause. Nothing stops him, not the armies in his way, not facing enemy shardbearers, not even a rockslide falling on him. His whole, his life and soul, are consumed in the fight. And when the fight is over, he has to find something new. Eventually, the fight ends. He turns to drinking and letting himself go. And when he gets to his lowest, he realizes that things have to change. He knows he can't keep destroying himself in an endless spiral. So he finds something new to dedicate himself to, but this time, it's something worth fighting for. And now, he leads the stand of humanity against the dying of the light. 

Dalinar encapsulates the man I want to become. A man that, even when things are at their worst, can still get back up and rise to heights no one could have though possible. A man that strives to show honor. A man that puts the good of others over his own good. A good man. 

I also love Adolin, for the reason that he's an everyman. He doesn't want to have to save the world. He'd rather duel and court and enjoy himself. But when the rubber hits the road, he is there. When Kaladin went into shock after Elhokar's death in Oathbringer, Adolin was there to get him to safty. Also in ROW, when Kaladin was spiraling back into depression, Adolin agreed to check on him. Adolin was someone that Shallan could be honest with, who could still love and believe in her despite her flaws. Adolin is a good friend. He cares about the people around him. He may seem like a spoiled noble on the outside, but on the inside, he's a truly caring and dependable friend.

Honestly, I'm just team Kholin, but they also have some traits that are so important to have in real life.