How did Kelsier lose his powers?

TheWanderer

Good could have light weaved the memory over his surroundings and filled the coppermind himself.

Also, from my understanding, cognitive shadows are not the souls of people, but imprints in investiture that lasts after the soul goes to the beyond. Since Kel didn’t go to the beyond, he would still be himself, not a CS. Otherwise, the conversations with Pres/Harm in shadesmar are useless.

26 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Good could have light weaved the memory over his surroundings and filled the coppermind himself.

Wow, I actually reeeeaaaalllly like this. The only concern I have here is how does Hoid know what Kelsier's vision looks like through his spiked eye? Seems to be the exact same description in Kelsiers POV. But otherwise I could easily see Hoid doing this just to make a little dig at Kelsier and try to put it out there that he and the Sovereign are the same person. Just to make him mad. It could have even been done just so he could tell Kelsier that he did it and get a reaction out of him

27 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Also, from my understanding, cognitive shadows are not the souls of people, but imprints in investiture that lasts after the soul goes to the beyond. Since Kel didn’t go to the beyond, he would still be himself, not a CS. Otherwise, the conversations with Pres/Harm in shadesmar are useless.

I think that is a valid argument, but I believe there are some WoB's out there stating that its more of a question for philosophers to decide. I think Kelsier is a cognitive shadow in the sense that he died while holding a lot of investiture, and that investiture (whether it is actually him or a copy made from investiture only) continued to live on, and even found a way to avoid disappearing - by latching onto another source of investiture. A CS is a term used for a variety of different circumstances, and in each one there is the philosophical question of whether it truly is the same person or a copy, and whether that makes any difference at all.

Regardless, Kelsier thinks he is Kelsier, so whether he is or he isn't it doesn't really impact the story. I doubt Harmony or Preservation could even tell you the real answer to that question.

That’s fair. As for the how he knew, he might have helped council shards creating their magic systems, though it is more likely he knows because of how other CS/Spirits see in Scadrial’s Cognitive Realm. Also, I though that the medalian and TLM’s epilogue disagreed, with the medalian showing steelsight and the epilogue saying the same as SH.

On 12/20/2022 at 6:51 PM, Koloss17 said:

The fact that we saw his scars and eyes means that the memory was shown through someone else’s eyes. Unless I’m mistaken about how Copperminds work, I thought you can’t have third person memories in there.

Wrong re read the passage it from Kelsier pov