Hello (Introduction)

Ora Borialiss

Hi, I'm Ora! I'm a 19-year-old college girl studying biochemistry. I'm Christian. I like music (both playing and listening), art, and swimming. I'm also starting to get into speculative evolution. I play oboe, saxophone, piano, guitar, and violin (ranked in order of how well I can play them), and my favorite genre of music is probably math rock.

I'm not super well-versed in communicating on a forum, so I also joined the Discord server, where I can be found by the same name as here. It's good to meet everyone! If you're reading this, tell me what your least favorite food is (and why).

Well hello! Welcome to the shard! 

I must say that is a fairly impressive list of instruments. And math rock is my newly favorite named music type, it sounds like it should be in School of Rock.

As for the food question, this is very hard for me to answer. I hate many foods equally. I'll just say anything with peanuts, to trigger the most people.

Welcome to the Shard! What have you read so far by Brandon Sanderson, and which is your favorite?

My least favorite food is cereal. Like, breakfast cereal. I hate it with an utter passion, haven't gone near it in years, and to be honest, I'm not quite sure why. It just disgusts me. Hot cereal, like oatmeal, is fine. But cold cereal makes me want to throw up. And I have no idea why.

2 hours ago, Ora Borialiss said:

Hi, I'm Ora! I'm a 19-year-old college girl studying biochemistry. I'm Christian. I like music (both playing and listening), art, and swimming. I'm also starting to get into speculative evolution. I play oboe, saxophone, piano, guitar, and violin (ranked in order of how well I can play them), and my favorite genre of music is probably math rock.

YEEEESSSSSSS MATH ROCK! That's epic!!

...Ya like jazz?

2 hours ago, Ora Borialiss said:

I'm not super well-versed in communicating on a forum, so I also joined the Discord server, where I can be found by the same name as here. It's good to meet everyone! If you're reading this, tell me what your least favorite food is (and why).

Oh man, where do I even begin with my least favorite food? I think it has to be sprouting brussels. I mean, they're just so... green. And they taste like a combination of dirt and sadness.  No matter what I do, they always end up tasting like something a rabbit would turn its nose up at.

Just kidding sprouting brussels are fine. I don't really have a least favorite food.

1 hour ago, Ookla the Obstinate said:

Welcome!

That's really cool! Oboe is HARD! 

Least favorite food... Probably mashed potatoes. I have sensory processing disorder, and the texture bugs me.

Unrelated, but you do realize that is not a recognized disorder, right?

I don't really have a least favorite food, but I don't really like eating in general. For now, let's just say my least favorite food is any kind of breakfast cereal.

Edited by Ookla the Unknowing

On 12/18/2022 at 9:59 AM, Mr. Misting said:

And math rock is my newly favorite named music type, it sounds like it should be in School of Rock.

Haha yeah, math rock is great. It's a form of progressive post-rock - not really relating to mathematics that much at all. It's named that way because it has weird time signatures and rhythms, which I guess can feel almost "mathematic" in a way.

If you're interested in looking into it, a good place to start would be with Delta Sleep (a poppier math rock band), toe (fairly standard acoustic math rock), or Don Caballero (a classic example of some of the weirder, dare I say "mathier" math rock).

On 12/18/2022 at 11:55 AM, The Bookwyrm said:

What have you read so far by Brandon Sanderson, and which is your favorite?

So far, I've read the entire Mistborn series (1-7), as well as the first 2 books of the Stormlight Archive - I'm partway through the third one, but I had to take a long break, so I'll probably reread the first 2 books first so I have the context. I've also read Elantris, the Rithmatist, and I believe the first 1 or 2 books of Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians, haha.

On another note, I have breakfast cereal for breakfast every morning, so it's baffling to me that someone wouldn't like it. But to each their own!

On 12/18/2022 at 0:02 PM, Shining Silhouette said:

YEEEESSSSSSS MATH ROCK! That's epic!!

...Ya like jazz?

Woohoo, a fellow math rock fan! What are some of your favorite artists?

As for jazz, I definitely can't say I have a ton of experience with it, but I like it. If you like math rock and jazz, I'd highly recommend the band Ask My Bull!