What should I read aside from Mistborn before Lost Metal?

Mistbreaker

What it says on the title. Also, sorry if this has been asked before but I am trying to avoid stumbling into major spoilers by accident.

So, speaking for myself, I have read all the Mistborn books and short stories/novellas so far aside from the recently released Lost Metal, along with Warbreaker, the Emperor's Soul, Elantris, and White Sand. It is with the Stormlight Archives that I suspect I may have a problem with, reference-wise. I have only finished the Way of Kings so far, although I finished part 1 of Words of Radiance the other day so I am trying to catch up. Thing is, I still have still several thousand of pages to cover between the point I am at and the remaining Stormlight volumes that have been released, not to mention the in-between novellas like Edgedancer so I am not sure if I will be missing Scadrial-related connections that would be worth spending a year or so reading through (the amount of time I expect it will take me to fully catch up with Stormlight at his rate) before I actually start Lost Metal. And since Mistborn is my favorite series of the Cosmere and the anticipation i killing me, I wanted to ask if it would be safe for me to read or if in your more informed opinion as fellow Cosmere fans, I should wait however long it takes for me to catch up with Stormlight before finishing Mistborn Era 2.

Oh, and I have also not yet read the novella set on Therondy or Sixth of the Dusk either, should that also be relevant to this discussion.

Thanks in advance for the replies. 

Edited by Mistbreaker

There is some plot point in SA that will be spoiled if you read TLM before it but in my opinion it is not a major spoiler and you can read TLM before SA.

There are some references to SA things in TLM that you won`t understand but they are not relevant to the plot and are not required to enjoy the book.

Yeah, Rhythm of War (SA 4) has a reveal at the end that Lost Metal will spoil, but I think reading Rhythm of War knowing the answer the whole time would add a different kind of tension. So, it depends what you think is fun. I would say Rhythm of War and The Lost Metal both add to each other, so you could read them in either order.

1 hour ago, Captain Coffee said:

Yeah, Rhythm of War (SA 4) has a reveal at the end that Lost Metal will spoil, but I think reading Rhythm of War knowing the answer the whole time would add a different kind of tension. So, it depends what you think is fun. I would say Rhythm of War and The Lost Metal both add to each other, so you could read them in either order.

Hmm...interesting...

Thank you for the additional perspective. I might indeed or go for that different kind of tension.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be honest, the reveal at the end of RoW made my head explode, because I didn't know about it.  When that same reveal happens in TLM, it is much, much less impactful.  It's just treated as if the reader already knows about it.  But when i read RoW and this one little comment came and was basically a throw away line, I went WHAAAAAT!?!?!?!1!

But you can do either or.  I've relistened to all of Stormlight after knowing the reveal, and it does put a different light on things, but I would be lying if I said it is more impactful if you don't know going in, whereas TLM treats it as if you already know.  

16 hours ago, Tglassy said:

I will be honest, the reveal at the end of RoW made my head explode, because I didn't know about it.  When that same reveal happens in TLM, it is much, much less impactful.  It's just treated as if the reader already knows about it.  But when i read RoW and this one little comment came and was basically a throw away line, I went WHAAAAAT!?!?!?!1!

But you can do either or.  I've relistened to all of Stormlight after knowing the reveal, and it does put a different light on things, but I would be lying if I said it is more impactful if you don't know going in, whereas TLM treats it as if you already know.  

Hmm...I have finished Part 2 of Lost Metal by now. Still waiting for the rest of the Graphic Audio adapation to be released in a few days...it is too late to back out since I have just Part 3 to finish?

17 hours ago, Mistbreaker said:

Hmm...I have finished Part 2 of Lost Metal by now. Still waiting for the rest of the Graphic Audio adapation to be released in a few days...it is too late to back out since I have just Part 3 to finish?

It is too late :(

The "big reveal" is mentioned in TLM part 2.

But don`t worry, RoW is still a great book even if you this already (I read RoW before mistborn so I didn`t understood there was a reveal when I first read it).

3 hours ago, offer said:

It is too late :(

The "big reveal" is mentioned in TLM part 2.

But don`t worry, RoW is still a great book even if you this already (I read RoW before mistborn so I didn`t understood there was a reveal when I first read it).

I see. I take it the big reveal had to do with that so-called Moonlight character and the chat about that non-Scadrial Shard?

Regardless, more and more I am thinking of making 2023 my own version of the Year of the Sanderson. I am curious to see if I can read Words of Radiance, Edgedancer, Oathbringer, Dawnshard and Rhythm of War this year since I was too broke for the sudden Year of the Sanderson/Secret Books kickstarter. Throw in the Therondy and First of the Sun novellas too and may have finally caught up with all the non-secret book projects. So, anyway, thanks for hyping RoW so much. Sounds like it's gonna be epic one way or another.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 9:15 AM, Mistbreaker said:

I see. I take it the big reveal had to do with that so-called Moonlight character and the chat about that non-Scadrial Shard?

Regardless, more and more I am thinking of making 2023 my own version of the Year of the Sanderson. I am curious to see if I can read Words of Radiance, Edgedancer, Oathbringer, Dawnshard and Rhythm of War this year since I was too broke for the sudden Year of the Sanderson/Secret Books kickstarter. Throw in the Therondy and First of the Sun novellas too and may have finally caught up with all the non-secret book projects. So, anyway, thanks for hyping RoW so much. Sounds like it's gonna be epic one way or another.

Awesome - go for it.  It’s a lot - and there’s probably 2 years-ish until SA5 - which will be huge, pulling everything together and likely ending many character plot lines (ie MCU endgame.). That will be a fun Time in the fan base.

Oh and remember | warbreaker before WoR.

Edited by djammmer