10 minutes ago, Ookla the [Redacted] said:

anyone want to be buds with Kaeli?

Yes, it would be a intersting dynamic

"Begin."

The words boomed in Mercury's head, the weight of them not quite completely settling down on her. Jogging Mercury begins her climb, scanning the environment for anything that was could jump out at her. After a little bit she speeds up, reasoning that she could pull out her blades faster than anything could jump at her.

Ast'avi stood at the foot of her final challenge. The sun had just set, opening the sky to the spectacle of stars that lay hidden in wait for their turn to shine. One of the stars, brighter than the rest, was secretly a planet; a gas giant, which her original homeworld orbited. She was easily able to find it in the sky.

She had come a long way on her path to become a Reaper.

She remembered her first day of training. She had been a small, frail fourteen year old orphan in tattered clothing, though surprisingly well fed and uninjured. Many had laughed at her. She specifically remembered a group of men who told her she'd drop out within a week.

Those men had dropped out the next day.

Avi fingered the dagger tied to her belt, gazing up to the peak. Her curly black hair was tied behind her head in a simple ponytail. She began plotting a rough path to the top, finding a mostly secure path through the tangles of stone and crystal. It would be difficult, but manageable.

Suddenly, a voice boomed in her mind. A voice exuding the pure essence of time and decay, of justice and finality. Death wasn't evil. They just were. A god as powerful as them was not one easily bound by the ideals and precepts of mortals, or even lesser deities. 

"You may begin," Death said.

It wasn't the first time Avi had heard the god speak, but she could still easily count the number of times she'd heard that timeless voice on one hand.

Star-speckled eyes gleaming with determination, Avi began the hike to the peak. To her future.

I'm not opposed to anyone else's characters finding mine, but fair warning; Avi isn't the friendliest of candidates. Not in that she's mean; she's just antisocial.

...A very specific brand of antisocial, yes, but antisocial.

Hm... I probably should've mapped it a bit.

Okay so the mountain kinda goes like this...

• The foothills. We started here. They're like the mountain but less extreme. Plenty of low-level monsters chilling around here.
  • The Foot. It won't take long to get here. Lots of shrines to the spirits and souls of the dead have been set here, permeating the fabric of the physical world and the plane in which we currently reside. A great place to take a breather and regroup.
  • Layer One: absolutely lousy with monsters. Not particularly steep.
  • Layer Two: Flight and wall-climbing monsters only. Pretty much half-and-half between walking and climbing at this point.
  • Layer Three: Just about straight up at this point, so you have to climb the crystals and growths like branches of a tree.
  • The Top: Where we find the Forges of Death and construct our Scythe.

Kaeli started off strong, picking and choosing her routes carefully beforehand. There was no telling just how long this whole ordeal would take, so conserving energy here at the start would be just as important as pushing at the end. Would they be expected to find food or even places to sleep here? Death had explained so little...

Now was no time to keep her hands full, so her bow was slung over her shoulder as she ascended each summit and dropped down each gully. If anything attacked her now, she could probably handle it with her fire... but still, the nervousness of being unarmed didn't seem keen on leaving her anytime soon.

Where are you, Mercury? She thought to herself. I thought we were going up together...

Avi lightly jogged to the foot of the mountain. She spotted a few Ke'es, bat-like monsters that were easily defeated and not much trouble. She had fought a few on her way to the starting point, but these ones didn't seem to be hostile. Yet.

When she reached the foot of the mountain itself, she found a strange shrine to a deity she didn't recognize. A strange, swirling symbol permeated the central stone, with five jagged lines surrounding it. She could sense a lingering essence from it that meant the shrine had once facilitated a minor portal stone. It had lost that ability ages ago, though.

She continued onward.

Il'anque broke into a jog. The foothills weren't too bad. Nothing that she hadn't faced before during training, at least.

A shadow leaped at Il'anque. Without looking, she brought up one blade in a clean slash. The monster would survive, but it wouldn't bother Il'anque any time soon. She continued jogging, eventually reaching the top of the first hill.

She looked at the mountain ahead. Another valley, with hills slowly rearing higher, leading into the great mountain itself... this would be a challenge. But Il'anque had a few tricks up her sleeve. 

I just need to find a... there.

A small tree stood alone at the top of the hill, somehow finding root in the veins of metals. Il'anque put her hand on it, and reached into the energy of nature around her. She gave the tree one primal command: Grow.

The tree grew larger, with branches and flowers forming everywhere. This was... more power than Il'anque wanted to use. But that didn't matter. Il'anque grabbed a few of the fruits. These were wonderfully useful; they could be eaten to provide food and water. When ground up with a few select items in Il'anque's pack, they could make either poisons or cures, and they would be useful if Il'anque needed a seed for magic in the future. Il'anque continued running, occasionally striking out at monsters that got too close. Finally, she arrived at the base of the mountain, where her true test would begin.

@Ookla the Perpetual

I was hoping for our characters to have some form of interaction, as they're at pretty much the same point.

1 minute ago, Ookla the Nerdy said:

I was hoping for our characters to have some form of interaction, as they're at pretty much the same point.

Sounds good.

Ast'avi crested a higher point of the foot of the mountain and caught a glimpse of motion out of the corner of her eye. She turned to see one of the other candidates. It was Il'anque, an elf. Avi had interacted with her occasionally during training, but she didn't know the elf very well.

She uses plant based magic, Avi thought to herself, remembering what she had learned. And she's a skilled healer. It may be to my benefit...

Making up her mind, Avi shifted her course slightly and began hiking towards Il'anque.

Il'anque noticed motion. She turned, expecting it to be another monster - but no. It was Avi, another initiate. They hadn't interacted much, but Il'anque knew Avi well enough to feel comfortable climbing with her. Well, having team was always better than going solo. Il'anque jogged towards Avi, giving a friendly wave.

@Ookla the Perpetual

Right off the bat Kaeli found herself just about surrounded by Lee'vis.

The gravel grumbled and shook around her as the snake-like creatures circled Kaeli, trying to mesmerize her as they did the rest of their prey. It was a tactic that worked unfortunately often on the likes of children, she'd heard - but that wouldn't be sufficient to keep her still.

Kaeli walked forwards, unafraid of their attempt at intimidation. The creatures' strategy was to trap their prey in the center of the circle, slowly closing in - but to have their prey simply walk away threw off their rhythm.

The one closest to her seemed annoyed at this, launching itself from the dirt and flinging itself at Kaeli's face.

She swatted it aside 

Now wasn't any time to be using magic.

With the monsters now deterred, she made her way to a distant-looking shrine at the foot of the mountain. 

52 minutes ago, Ookla the Nerdy said:

Il'anque noticed motion. She turned, expecting it to be another monster - but no. It was Avi, another initiate. They hadn't interacted much, but Il'anque knew Avi well enough to feel comfortable climbing with her. Well, having team was always better than going solo. Il'anque jogged towards Avi, giving a friendly wave.

@Ookla the Perpetual

Avi acknowledged Il'anque with a curt nod. Then she turned back to the peak.

"Come," she said. "It's a long hike. I've planned out the best route to Layer One." She began walking without looking back.

Atren ran. Invisible barriers formed beneath his feet as he did so, forming a staircase into the heavens. 

A few flying monsters attempted to swoop at him, but he formed barriers in front of each and every one. They were distractions. That was all.

Are we expected to provide our own monsters?

6 minutes ago, Ookla the Perpetual said:

Avi acknowledged Il'anque with a curt nod. Then she turned back to the peak.

"Come," she said. "It's a long hike. I've planned out the best route to Layer One." She began walking without looking back.

Il'anque followed. After all, she hadn't made any kind of plan for this. It would be best to follow avi, and- hey, what was that?

A blurry form pounced at Avi and Il'anque. This was a del'kthin: a panther-like beast. It remained cloaked in the shadows and then struck with its paralytic venom. Il'anque parried its strike with one of her blades, but this beast was thirsty for blood.

"Avi!" yelled Il'anque. "Slight problem here!"

Mercury reached a shrine at the foot of the mountain. After all it had been an easy run. Only some weak snake monsters. Nothing that made her blades glow, nothing that nearly got her and her friend kille-

A thought strikes Mercury faster than her lightning.

"Shades, I left Kaeli again."

Wincing Mercury decides to wait for Kaeli at the shrine.

Ran’at stood at the foot of the Inverted Mountain. 
“Begin.”

Ran’at wasted no time to start climbing.

He held his steel dagger in his main hand, with his prosthetic offhand at the ready, occasionally pushing down smaller crystalline protrusions blocking his path. 
After swatting aside some kind of flying nuisance, he noticed a figure on his right.

Another participant, perhaps? I would like some company.

Edited by PyroPhile
Punctuation correction

I’ikeq started cautiously towards the mountain. Time was on his side, so there was no need to hurry. Any and all who made it up the mountain would be selected, and there was plenty of ore to go around. But he couldn’t help but feel left behind as the rest of the contenders rushed up the mountain ahead of him.

The terrain was horrible. In the first five minutes alone, he nearly fell because of slippery rocks or false footholds at least times. Gods above! he thought as a rock gave way beneath his feet. This route was too treacherous, he realized, looking up. He inched back down to the nearest flat section of rock. He sighed, looking around—

Flap.

He whirled to face the noise, water daggers materializing in the air next to his head. A Ke’es, he realized with a shudder. Its beady black eyes felt like they stared into his soul.

It hovered in the air, just out of I’ikeq’s range. The two of them stared at each other for a long moment, then, quick as lightning, the bat-like creature swooped for him.

Daggers flashed. The Ke’es fell to the ground in front of I’ikeq with a thud, a perfect slice across its neck, leaking moldy black blood. I’ikeq let out a breath and began looking for another way up.

Edited by Ookla the Omniscient
Not actually at the mountain yet

12 minutes ago, Ookla the Myopic said:

Mercury reached a shrine at the foot of the mountain. After all it had been an easy run. Only some weak snake monsters. Nothing that made her blades glow, nothing that nearly got her and her friend kille-

A thought strikes Mercury faster than her lightning.

"Shades, I left Kaeli again."

Wincing, Mercury decides to wait for Kaeli at the shrine.

Well shoot, now I have to write a transition...

Uhh...

Kaelie stumbled into the shrine, a little out of breath.

Pant... pant... "Oh hey, Merc."

19 minutes ago, Ookla the Forgotten said:

Are we expected to provide our own monsters?

Good questions. I can do monsters for people if they want but it'll be difficult to keep track of all these different groups... I guess provide your own monsters until we all start the actual climb? We'll probably have packed together a bit more by then.

5 minutes ago, Ookla the [Redacted] said:

Good questions. I can do monsters for people if they want but it'll be difficult to keep track of all these different groups... I guess provide your own monsters until we all start the actual climb? We'll probably have packed together a bit more by then.

I put a thing in the doc for a list of monsters that we can fight. I added all of the ones that we've used currently.