Clues, Questions, and Answers from 11-08-11

KChan

Hey guys! If you were at the midnight release of Alloy of Law or got a signed copy from Sam Weller's, 17th Shard needs your help! If you asked Brandon a question - even if it was RAFOed - or got any sort of clue or interesting tidbit written in your book(s), post it here so the rest of us can hear about it! I was up front for a lot of the signing, but I didn't hear everything and I didn't get to write down anything. Post what you know here, and I'll update the list as I go. Thanks!

Things I overheard:

• Kelsier was not spiked.
  • Kandra can determine each other's gender via scent.
  • Part of the Lord Ruler's motivation for setting up The Final Empire was revenge against the people he viewed as encroaching on his people's land. He was also obsessed with creating order, which Ruin later exploited.
  • The Ars Arcanum in the books were all written by one person.
  • The author of the Ars Arcanum is either Hoid or a member of the Seventeenth Shard. Brandon also pointed to an annotation on the map of Elendel that's relevant to this question.

Things Zas overheard:

• Are the usual quadrants (Physical, Mental, Temporal, Enhancement) preserved in Feruchemy and Hemalurgy? Status:No. In Ferchemy, it is based Realmantically. There is a quadrant of Spiritual, a quadrant of Cognitive and two quadrants of Physical.
  • How do Kandra decide gender? Is it just intellectual? Or are there subtle physical differences? Status- Kandra have a specific gender that is associated with scent- you can tell if a kandra is a boy or girl depending on how they smell. There is more to it than that. They also know who they are attracted to.
  • Does the person being pierced in order to charge a Hemalurgic spike have to die? Status- Not necessarily. A spike does require you to rip pieces of a soul from the victim, but that does not mean they must die. They would be a very different person afterwords though.
  • Why do Seons become broken when their person is taken by the Shaod? Status- A Seon has a Spiritual Connection with their user. When the Shaod takes the user, it messes up the spiritual nature of the user, and it really messes up the nature of the Seon.

Other overheard info:

• There's just the one system in Warbreaker, and it's also a world with only one Shard on it.

Signing quotes from books:

Far from the Central Dominance, skaa can hold land and get rich. The Lord Ruler doesn't let this be known.
Watch for what happens when something leaves a bendalloy bubble.
Entities exist on all three realms that are only vaguely shadowed on the other realms.

You have seen entities who exist primarily on the Cognitive Realm + are shadowed on the Physical.

The Lord Ruler once gave up and tried to end the Final Empire.

NOTE: I asked him when, and he wouldn't say.

Expanse of the densities = a world you know.
Edited by KChan

Whoopsy, made a topic over in Gen Theories jsut before this got made. Copy and pasted:

I put in my pre-order as soon as I heard {about it}, with the request that Brandon write a clue to the nature of the cosmere, specifically Realmatic theory. What I got Monday night was interesting to say the least. I'll post a picture of it later, but here it is:

Entities exist on all three realms that are only vaguely shadowed on the other realms.

You have seen entities who exist primarily on the Cognitive Realm + are shadowed on the Physical.

My thoughts:

The word 'entities' is very specific. Does this mean people (humans) aren't shadowed on the Cognitive and Spiritual Realms?

Also telling is the word-choice of 'on' instead of 'in.' Not sure what this means yet, but Brandon is usually tricky with his wording.

The entities we've seen are on Shadesmar primarily and are shadowed on the Physical, but there is no mention of the Spiritual Realm. Does this mean that Cognitive entities don't have a Spiritual component?

The entities we've seen, what are they? My first reaction was spren, but, the more I considered it, Seons also became a possibility. No particular logic behind that yet, just a second reaction.

So. Let's chew on this bone, shall we?

Updated! I was there when he wrote the Bendalloy hint; I was the one who kept squinting at his handwriting. XD I wonder if it has to do with the FTL travel in the final trilogy? Also, note what happens in Alloy when bullets leave time bubbles. Wax mentions it in one of his narrations.

Aaaaand this is a topic for the Mistborn threads.

Give me a bit, and I'll pull over some of the questions I have. I also need to decide if I have enough time to transcribe the Q&A....

These are the questions I overheard. I'll let others do the other ones.

• Are the usual quadrants (Physical, Mental, Temporal, Enhancement) preserved in Feruchemy and Hemalurgy? Status:No. In Ferchemy, it is based Realmantically. There is a quadrant of Spiritual, a quadrant of Cognitive and two quadrants of Physical.
  • How do Kandra decide gender? Is it just intellectual? Or are there subtle physical differences? Status- Kandra have a specific gender that is associated with scent- you can tell if a kandra is a boy or girl depending on how they smell. There is more to it than that. They also know who they are attracted to.
  • Does the person being pierced in order to charge a Hemalurgic spike have to die? Status- Not necessarily. A spike does require you to rip pieces of a soul from the victim, but that does not mean they must die. They would be a very different person afterwords though.
  • Why do Seons become broken when their person is taken by the Shaod? Status- A Seon has a Spiritual Connection with their user. When the Shaod takes the user, it messes up the spiritual nature of the user, and it really messes up the nature of the Seon.

Overheard: We usually see multiple magic systems in a world, are there more magic systems in Warbreaker that we haven't seen yet?

Answer: No, there's just the one system in Warbreaker, and it's also a world with only one Shard on it.

Paraphrased, but this was the gist of it. I told Chaos about it while we were there.

Overheard: We usually see multiple magic systems in a world, are there more magic systems in Warbreaker that we haven't seen yet?

Answer: No, there's just the one system in Warbreaker, and it's also a world with only one Shard on it.

Paraphrased, but this was the gist of it. I told Chaos about it while we were there.

it's awesome to have it confirmed that there's only one Shard on Nalthis.