Fused Possessing Corpses?

Trusk'our

Question

2 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Trusk'our said:

Could a Fused possess a deceased body if it were repaired via the Surge of Regrowth?

Also, as a side question, could a Fused Possess a human vessel if the human and Fused were both willing?

As the Fused are Cognitive Shadows, they act a bit like spren when they possess singers; by filling their gemhearts. This would mean that a human wouldn't be able to bond with a Fused, due to lack of said gemheart. They may be able to form something akin to a Nahel Bond with the human, but that's a RAFO as far as I'm aware. 

For the first question, the Coppermind states the following:

These ancient singer shadows exist in a state very similar to spren, until they take over a singer body. This process requires a living singer to open themselves up to bonding a new spren during one of Roshar's invested storms, in the same way as they would to adopt a new form.

Ordinarily, what spren a singer will bond -- and thus what form they'll assume -- depends on their mindset during the highstorm. 

Therefore, I would assume a deceased singer wouldn't be able to be possessed, as a Cognitive aspect is required for the Fused to Invest the form. 

Hope that helps! :)

12 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

Could a Fused possess a deceased body if it were repaired via the Surge of Regrowth?

I dont think so, on the logic that the nature of the body changes when it dies: it goes from flame to bead and starts getting treated as meat by shardblades.  The fused come in and boot out the Soul/cognitive shadow of the living Singer and take control, but I dont think Fused have what it takes to also animate the inanimate, that seems to be one of the main qualitative differences between Fused and whatever the Thunderclast are.  So the Fused would have to take a living (or extremely recently dead) Singer during the Everstorm, and being in the Storm with a Gemheart is likely to Invest the Singer a bit and extend that window of time somewhat.  

12 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

Also, as a side question, could a Fused Possess a human vessel if the human and Fused were both willing?

It doesnt appear so, they need a Gemheart to pull it off as far as we can tell.  The closest we've seen is with that one UnMade, and the host still needed to swallow a Gem.