What should I read before RoW

Munazir

Question

I’ve read all of the stormlight books and novellas expect RoW, The Final Empire and I’m currently reading Warbreaker. What should I read to ensure I don’t miss anything in RoW. I’ve heard I was also read Mistborn Secret History but that spoilers Mistborn Era 2.

6 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, Munazir said:

I’ve read all of the stormlight books and novellas expect RoW, The Final Empire and I’m currently reading Warbreaker. What should I read to ensure I don’t miss anything in RoW. I’ve heard I was also read Mistborn Secret History but that spoilers Mistborn Era 2.

In ROW there is at least some small mention for something from almost any other cosmere book so in order to not miss ANYTHING you need to read all the rest.

It is also possible to rad ROW before the non-SA cosmere books and you will understand almost everything (I read it before any non-SA book and it works well), but the important books to understand some of the "behind the scenes" stuff are:

1) Warbreaker

2) Mistborn era 2 untill BOM + secret history (secret history spoils something in BOM so it is best to read after).

3) Sixth of the dusk.

4) Elantris.

Sixth of the dusk and Elantris are not very important if you are willing to see a minor detail that happens without you understanding exactly how/what it meens.

2 minutes ago, offer said:

In ROW there is at least some small mention for something from almost any other cosmere book so in order to not miss ANYTHING you need to read all the rest.

It is also possible to rad ROW before the non-SA cosmere books and you will understand almost everything (I read it before any non-SA book and it works well), but the important books to understand some of the "behind the scenes" stuff are:

1) Warbreaker

2) Mistborn era 2 untill BOM + secret history (secret history spoils something in BOM so it is best to read after).

3) Sixth of the dusk.

4) Elantris.

Sixth of the dusk and Elantris are not very important if you are willing to see a minor detail that happens without you understanding exactly how/what it meens.

Is the behind the scene stuff worth it though. Idm finishing mistborn era 1, war breaker and Eltranis but BOM is the 3rd on era 2 and I’ve never heard of sixth of the dusk. And if it isn’t really something that big then I don’t want to read 4 extra books rn.

10 hours ago, Munazir said:

Is the behind the scene stuff worth it though. Idm finishing mistborn era 1, war breaker and Eltranis but BOM is the 3rd on era 2 and I’ve never heard of sixth of the dusk. And if it isn’t really something that big then I don’t want to read 4 extra books rn.

Probably not worth it. 

The connection to other books almost don`t affect the plot of ROW - they will probably affect future books in the cosmere but you can discover the connection by reading the other books after ROW (and maybe reread some parts of ROW later).

In conclusion my recomandation is to read ROW right now (or after warbreaker if you already started it). Mistborn era 1 is not very relevant to ROW.

*Sixth of the dusk is a short story. It is part of the Arcanum Unbounded (collection of short stories, all taking place in the cosmere).

On 12/5/2022 at 5:56 PM, Munazir said:

Is the behind the scene stuff worth it though. Idm finishing Mistborn era 1, war breaker and Eltranis but BOM is the 3rd on era 2 and I’ve never heard of sixth of the dusk. And if it isn’t really something that big then I don’t want to read 4 extra books rn.

Not including Warbreaker, which you said you are already reading (you may have already seen how that connects to Stormlight in WoR and OB), I would gauge the others as:

• Sixth of the Dusk - minor plot implications (and the one story I would definitely recommend pre-RoW as it is short, great and does connect)
  • Elantris - few plot implications, only makes one reveal make more sense (and clarify a certain interaction from OB), but not necessary to understand the event(s)
    • (my second suggestion for pre-RoW)
    • Emperor's Soul - No definitive connection to RoW - but since ES is where Brandon first really started explaining Cosmere Realmatics, having it as the background can help make RoW more understandable
  • Mistborn Era 1 - Minor connections to RoW, and one major reveal - but (as below):
    • Era 2 - No real importance to RoW, except one epigraph reference - mostly important by association to:
    • Secret History - Era 2 through BoM are important to read before SH if you care about spoilers (and it seems you do), SH makes a reveal in RoW more important but that importance could easily go the other way (after reading SH you realize - oh that's what <spoiler> meant in RoW. . . )
  • Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell - One minor connection in OB and RoW, but certainly not a prerequisite

On 12/6/2022 at 4:53 AM, offer said:

Sixth of the dusk is a short story. It is part of the Arcanum Unbounded (collection of short stories, all taking place in the cosmere)

Originally Printed in Shadows Beneath (a great anthology if you like the behind-the-scenes of writing) where Brandon's writing group brainstormed a story for each member and this collection shows, in order:

• Each Story's final version
  • Each brainstorming session
  • Each First Draft
  • One Edit Draft

Excerpts:

Spoiler

Intro:

You hold in your hands one of Brandon Sanderson’s patented Crazy Ideas™.

It started about two years ago. For those who don’t know, Writing Excuses is an internet radio program that I cohost with the other wonderful people whose names you can find on the cover of this very volume. We offer writing advice from professionals.

I’m always searching for ways to make Writing Excuses more relevant and interesting. I want to try things we haven’t tried before—and, if it can be done, things that nobody has ever tried before. This was one of those ideas. I wanted to brainstorm a story on one episode, write that story, then provide it for everyone to read afterward.

The idea took hold, and I pitched it to the team, suggesting that we each brainstorm a story together, then write it. We could workshop each story on another episode, then release an anthology with both the first drafts and the final drafts, giving readers and unprecedented look at the process of creating a story.

<snip>

For those of you who are interested in the writing process, whether you be an aspiring writer yourself or just someone who likes pulling back the curtain and looking at the guts of something, I have a real treat for you. After the polished stories (which I still suggest you read first) you’ll find a wealth of bonus material, presented in a separate section for each individual story. 

Final Version:

Death hunted beneath the waves. Dusk saw it approach, an enormous blackness within the deep blue, a shadowed form as wide as six narrowboats tied together. Dusk’s hands tensed on his paddle, his heartbeat racing as he immediately sought out Kokerlii.

Fortunately, the colorful bird sat in his customary place on the prow of the boat, idly biting at one clawed foot raised to his beak. Kokerlii lowered his foot and puffed out his feathers, as if completely unmindful of the danger beneath.

Dusk held his breath. He always did, when unfortunate enough to run across one of these things in the open ocean. He did not know what they looked like beneath those waves. He hoped to never find out.

The shadow drew closer, almost to the boat now. A school of slimfish passing nearby jumped into the air in a silvery wave, spooked by the shadow’s approach. The terrified fish showered back to the water with a sound like rain. The shadow did not deviate. The slimfish were too small a meal to interest it.

A boat’s occupants, however . . .

First Draft:

Death hunted beneath the waves. Sixth saw it approach, though its details were hidden by the waters. A shadow wider than six narrowboats tied together, an enormous deep blackness within the deep blue. Sixth’s hands tensed on his paddle, his heartbeat racing as he immediately sought out Kokerlii.

Fortunately, the bird sat in his customary place on the prow of the boat, idly biting at one clawed foot raised to his beak. The colorful bird lowered his foot and puffed out his feathers, as if completely unmindful of the enormous shadow that approached.

Sixth held his breath. He always did, even still, when unfortunate enough to run across one of these things in the open ocean. He did not know what they looked like beneath those waves. He hoped to never find out.

The shadow drew closer, almost to the boat now. A school of thinfish passing nearby, jumped into the air in a silvery wave, spooked by the shadow’s approach. The terrified fish showered back to the water with a sound like rain. The shadow did not deviate. The thinfish were too small a meal to interest it.

Edit Draft Version:

Death hunted beneath the waves. SixthDusk saw it approach, though its details were hidden by the waters. A shadow wider than six narrowboats tied together, an enormous deep blackness within the deep blue, a shadowed form as wide as six narrowboats tied together. SixthDusk’s hands tensed on his paddle, his heartbeat racing as he immediately sought out Kokerlii.

Fortunately, the colorful bird sat in his customary place on the prow of the boat, idly biting at one clawed foot raised to his beak. The colorful birdKokerlii lowered his foot and puffed out his feathers, as if completely unmindful of the enormous shadow that approacheddanger beneath.

SixthDusk held his breath. He always did, even still, when unfortunate enough to run across one of these things in the open ocean. He did not know what they looked like beneath those waves. He hoped to never find out.

The shadow drew closer, almost to the boat now. A school of thslinmfish passing nearby, jumped into the air in a silvery wave, spooked by the shadow’s approach. The terrified fish showered back to the water with a sound like rain. The shadow did not deviate. The thslinmfish were too small a meal to interest it.

So you get to see the Final version, the First version, the feedback session on "what's bad, what's good" and the edit draft showing the changes between the two versions; along with an essay on "fixing Sixth."

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

11 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Not including Warbreaker, which you said you are already reading (you may have already seen how that connects to Stormlight in WoR and OB), I would gauge the others as:

• Sixth of the Dusk - minor plot implications (and the one story I would definitely recommend pre-RoW as it is short, great and does connect)
  • Elantris - few plot implications, only makes one reveal make more sense (and clarify a certain interaction from OB), but not necessary to understand the event(s)
    • (my second suggestion for pre-RoW)
    • Emperor's Soul - No definitive connection to RoW - but since ES is where Brandon first really started explaining Cosmere Realmatics, having it as the background can help make RoW more understandable
  • Mistborn Era 1 - Minor connections to RoW, and one major reveal - but (as below):
    • Era 2 - No real importance to RoW, except one epigraph reference - mostly important by association to:
    • Secret History - Era 2 through BoM are important to read before SH if you care about spoilers (and it seems you do), SH makes a reveal in RoW more important but that importance could easily go the other way (after reading SH you realize - oh that's what <spoiler> meant in RoW. . . )
  • Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell - One minor connection in OB and RoW, but certainly not a prerequisite

Originally Printed in Shadows Beneath (a great anthology if you like the behind-the-scenes of writing) where Brandon's writing group brainstormed a story for each member and this collection shows, in order:

• Each Story's final version
  • Each brainstorming session
  • Each First Draft
  • One Edit Draft

I got Arcanum Unbounded and for the Selish System there’s The Emperor’ Soul and the Hope of Elantris. Are these both connected to Elantris ( would I have to read it ).
For Mistborn Era 1:

I was a bit confused on what you meant. Was the “major reveal” something you learn from Mistborn or something you would miss if you didn’t finish the trilogy before RoW.

2 hours ago, Munazir said:

I got Arcanum Unbounded and for the Selish System there’s The Emperor’ Soul and the Hope of Elantris. Are these both connected to Elantris ( would I have to read it ).

Emporer's Soul is, arguably, Sanderson's best work of any length (and won a Hugo to prove it) - it is set on the same planet as Elantris, but in a very different location, and with very few connections. It can totally be read on it's own, even if you never read Elantris.

Hope of Elantris is a sort-of Epilogue to the novel Elantris. Read after the novel, but not separately (*see below - non-spoiler)
From the Hope of Elantris Intro:

Spoiler

If we flash back to January 2006, we find me having been dating Emily (who would eventually become my wife) for about two months. On one of our dates, Emily told me something amazing. One of her eighth-grade students—a girl named Matisse—had done a book report on Elantris. . .

This report she did was incredible. Instead of a simple write-up, she created a worldbook about Sel; it had sketches and bios of the characters, strips of Elantrian cloth stapled in as examples. . .

In any novel, there are events you decide to leave out for pacing reasons. . .

I decided to write a little story to deal with all of this. And because Matisse had inspired me, I decided that I would name a character after her.

So, the story is essentially a cross between a flashback and deleted scenes.

For Mistborn Era 1:

I was a bit confused on what you meant. Was the “major reveal” something you learn from Mistborn or something you would miss if you didn’t finish the trilogy before RoW.

If you have not read Mistborn Era 2 and Secret History before reading Rhythm of War - than an event/reference/scene in Rhythm of War that may be quite important thay may go unnoticed because you lack the context to think "Wow, that's a BFD."

However, I have a feeling that a similar moment will happen when you read Era 2, Secret History, and The Lost Metal. If you have already read RoW, then that event/reference/scene will suddenly "make sense."

Edited by Treamayne