Autonomy's Investiture and Antiinvesture

Rakidonthe3rd

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Actually @Frustration, making anti-shard metal and making anti-light would have 2 diffrent methods, and it isn’t possible for them to mix.

You can convert one to the other, I don't know if you can change metals to anti-investiture, but the process for making anti-light should be the same and then you can convert between states.

5 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

gasses also don't emit light

They do under certain conditions, and the light is actually leaking through the SR, rather than being generated.

Spoiler

Alteroden

With Stormlight, the better the gem is cut, the less Stormlight it leaks, and the longer it holds its charge. If a gem was perfectly cut, on a molecular scale, would it leak Stormlight at all?

Brandon Sanderson

In a theoretical flawless gem, then no it would not.

Alteroden

Would it actually give off light?

Brandon Sanderson

[...] Theoretically no it would not, but it's not what you're thinking...

Alteroden

No no no, that’s not what I’m thinking, I figured that’s something totally different.

Brandon Sanderson

Well, actually, it probably would still give off light, because it's drawing out of the Spiritual Realm. So I’d say it still lights, but it doesn't leak. The leaking is not where the illumination is coming from. The illumination is coming from a direct... It's basically a light bulb screwed into the Spiritual Realm.

Shadows of Self Chicago signing (Oct. 12, 2015)

6 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

I doubt that the mist could be trapped in a polestone

Why do you say that?

7 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

I doubt there are multiple types of investiture for each state. All solid investiture is metal, etc.

That's not entirely true, there can be non-metal solid forms of investiture

Spoiler

Overlord Jebus

All the physical manifestations--solid physical manifestations we've seen of Investiture has been metallic. It's been atium, lerasium, Shardblades. Is that just a coincidence?

Brandon Sanderson

No, it's intentional.

Overlord Jebus

It's intentional so we're not going to see Investiture wood or Investiture plastic?

Brandon Sanderson

Right, I mean technically, like, what do you call the aethers? Those are not metal. But I do it as metal intentionally.

Questioner

They could be a metal with very low boiling point.

Brandon Sanderson

*sarcastically* Yes, the vine ones are--

Overlord Jebus

Well we've had liquid, we've had gas, the solids all seem to be metallic, so.

Brandon Sanderson

That is intentional, it's just one of those little laws of the cosmere, that's not meant to mean anything

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

8 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

I haven't read any of the unpublished books (or the secret project), so I only know the little from TLM. Care to explain what the aethers have to do with solid investiture?

Well, they're solid investiture, and aren't metal.

9 minutes ago, SteelBagel said:

Are they? they're certainly created with Investiture, but I don't know that they're made of it. Granted I've not finished SP1 yet so maybe there's proof in there.

Oh, I want referring to the spores, I meant the original Aether strains.

Edited by Frustration

On 1/3/2023 at 2:54 PM, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Intresting, but metals are crystals, and we don't see them manifest different types of solids, so each investiture still only has 1 solid form we have seen.

Metals may be crystals, but not all crystals are metals, and I don't think TwinSoul's aether crystals were metallic.

I agree each type of Investiture should have a single solid form - Silajana isn't going to also have an aethermetal, and Ruin doesn't have a solid Investiture form other than atium. TLM seems to imply that Sazed can't just automatically make atium and lerasium - harmonium has to be split first - even though he contains both Shards.