Oathbringer and Harmony

NamesTaken

Question

So in Chapters 53,54 and 55 of Oathbringer it seems like it's Harmony is sending a message back to Hoid. He says

"Friend, Your letter is most intriguing, even revelatory. I would have thought, before attaining my current station, that a deity could not be surprised. Obviously this is not true. I can be surprised. I can perhaps even be naive, I think. I am the least equipped, of all, to aid you in this endeavor. I am finding that the powers I hold are in such conflict that the simplest of actions can be difficult. I am also uncertain by your subterfuge. Why have you not made yourself known to me before this? How is it you can hide? Who are you truly, and how do you know so much about Adonalsium? If you would speak to me further, I request open honesty. Return to my lands, approach my servants, and I will see what I can do for your request." 

This seems like Harmony speaking to me.. which would indicate that era 2 is actually happening at the same time as Oathbringer...? Or at the very minimum that Era 1 is definitely over and Sazed has become Harmony already by this point. Maybe it's the time period between Era 1 and 2 of Mistborn? Has anybody else noticed this? I was under the impression that Era 1 SA happened before Era 2 Mistborn. 

8 answers to this question

4 hours ago, NamesTaken said:

So in Chapters 53,54 and 55 of Oathbringer it seems like it's Harmony is sending a message back to Hoid. He says

"Friend, Your letter is most intriguing, even revelatory. I would have thought, before attaining my current station, that a deity could not be surprised. Obviously this is not true. I can be surprised. I can perhaps even be naive, I think. I am the least equipped, of all, to aid you in this endeavor. I am finding that the powers I hold are in such conflict that the simplest of actions can be difficult. I am also uncertain by your subterfuge. Why have you not made yourself known to me before this? How is it you can hide? Who are you truly, and how do you know so much about Adonalsium? If you would speak to me further, I request open honesty. Return to my lands, approach my servants, and I will see what I can do for your request." 

This seems like Harmony speaking to me.. which would indicate that era 2 is actually happening at the same time as Oathbringer...? Or at the very minimum that Era 1 is definitely over and Sazed has become Harmony already by this point. Maybe it's the time period between Era 1 and 2 of Mistborn? Has anybody else noticed this? I was under the impression that Era 1 SA happened before Era 2 Mistborn. 

Brandon has said that the events of Era 2 of Mistborn (Alloy of Law to The Lost Metal) all take place in a timeskip between Stormlight 5 and 6.

Here's the WOB

Spoiler

Zachary

In reference to the events in Rhythm of War, what is the timeframe for Mistborn Era Three? Is it before? Or after?

Brandon Sanderson

After. Era Three is after. Era Three is gonna take place around fifty to seventy years after Era Two. And Era Two is happening in the ten years between Books Five and Six of Stormlight. Era Three will be happening in a post-all-ten-books-of-Stormlight world.

So I have to jump forward in time seventy years on Scadrial, and then jump backward in time and finish Roshar, and then jump back forward in time. I think it’s all gonna work in the jigsaw puzzle of my brain of how all of this is going. But Karen will tell me if it doesn’t work, and we will adjust appropriately. She keeps the timeline and keeps me honest.

Okay yeah I've heard that too. So then I guess these "letters" between Hoid and Harmony aren't being sent or received during the events of OB? Just a little confusing to me that those would be in there if it's happening way later in the series like era 2. But I guess a lot of the beginnings of these chapters are foreshadowing things later to come. Maybe we will get the explanation in Era 2 of Stormlight or era 3 of mistborn.

1 hour ago, NamesTaken said:

Okay yeah I've heard that too. So then I guess these "letters" between Hoid and Harmony aren't being sent or received during the events of OB? Just a little confusing to me that those would be in there if it's happening way later in the series like era 2. But I guess a lot of the beginnings of these chapters are foreshadowing things later to come. Maybe we will get the explanation in Era 2 of Stormlight or era 3 of mistborn.

Why would they not be during OB?

On 12/9/2022 at 11:06 PM, Ookla the Frustrated. said:

Why would they not be during OB?

Because Harmony only existed after era 1 of mistborn(during era 2 of mistborn or in the time skip between.) Which we have confirmation that era 2 mistborn happens AFTER era 1 SA. So how can Harmony be sending letters to Hoid during OB if he isn't created until after Stormlight Archive era 1(after Oathbringer)?? Unless all the letters are happening during the 300 year gap between Era 1 and 2 of Mistborn. That's the only answer that makes sense to me. 

10 minutes ago, NamesTaken said:

Because Harmony only existed after era 1 of mistborn(during era 2 of mistborn or in the time skip between.) Which we have confirmation that era 2 mistborn happens AFTER era 1 SA. So how can Harmony be sending letters to Hoid during OB if he isn't created until after Stormlight Archive era 1(after Oathbringer)?? Unless all the letters are happening during the 300 year gap between Era 1 and 2 of Mistborn. That's the only answer that makes sense to me. 

Era 1 is 300 years before era 2 so during OB Harmony has been around for 290 years. That totally works.