Copper savant downside

Wits instant noodles

Question

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, StanLemon said:

There probably is no downside or at least a very mild side effect. Brandon conceded that not all metals have a downside to Savantism

I'm thinking that Bendalloy might make your body age faster than it should be. A problem for the mortally challenged.

Gold would probably be pretty bad, seeing and feeling you past-self judging you for the choices you've made already seems bad enough.

No idea for the enhancement metals.

I'm also thinking that Zinc and Brass makes you want to manipulate others more, maybe feeling social anxiety when you aren't influencing someone's emotions? Breeze was almost definitely a Savant and did usually use Brass on most people he met, maybe because he didn't want to do otherwise?

On 11/29/2022 at 3:34 PM, Wits instant noodles said:

Is there a down side to being a savant seeker? It appears to boost your power without actually having any negative consequence. Being a tin savant makes you blind and a pewter makes you real week or even kill you but what about copper?

First you said "Seeker" - then copper. . . Did you mean bronze or did you mean Smoker?

We do have this WoB:

Spoiler

Kingsdaughter613

[In] Hero of Ages, Harmony in the epigraphs says that brass and copper Allomancers can become savants and never even notice. I know that generally savantism is supposed to have really extreme effects, so how does that work that they do not notice?

Brandon Sanderson

So, most savanthoods have extreme effects, some of them it's just not as noticeable. It can warp your soul without you really even paying that much attention to it. I kind of have a push and pull on how debilitating it is in some ways versus others. In this case, those are two that you can become that it would not be very debilitating in your life.

Kingsdaughter613

What effects would that have for that?

Brandon Sanderson

I'll RAFO that.

Epigraph to Ch 16:

They are called Allomantic savants. Men or women who flare their metals so long, and so hard, that the constant influx of Allomantic power transforms their very physiology.

In most cases, with most metals, the effects of this are very slight. Bronze burners, for instance, often become bronze savants without knowing it. Their range is expanded from burning the metal so long.

And WoB indicates they may be able to sense/diferentiate to a greater degree - similar to Vin's Hemalurgy-aided Bronze