ZincAboutIt

Whisper shifted as they were approached by the woman in the wheelchair. Thankfully in this guise she would not be expected to smile at people or play innocent, so she settled for a tiny nod of the head in greet. She also shifted her stance slightly so that she would be able to move more easily if she needed to attack or defend. One step forward and she could thrust with a knife into her chest. One back and she could be out of reach of a sword. One to the side and she would be able to face both her and Vivi should the need arise.

"I'm a Pulser too. I've used cadmium for... a long time. I can carry the bubble with me and slow down time and do a few other things. Other than that... I can think pretty fast, and I'm good with knives." Another voice interrupted, one after another revealing the cards they held. Not that Whisper would trust them to speak true.

A Pulser. Problematic. She noted mentally. Not a threat to her health as such, but Pulsers could be a problem in other ways. If she was delayed here for longer than expected... Well, best then to keep an eye on the exterior of the bubble when possible. Track how much time was lost and when. And if they were to be here for days then absolutely make sure to sleep as far from him as possible.

Scouting ahead in a house that moves and shifts seems unwise. She wrote, turning it to face Byron.

@Ashbringer

Don't stay after sundown. Vivi considered the implication of these words and wondered how she would be able to track time inside of a changing and moving manor. Maybe there would be light falling in through the windows - if the rooms they would be walking through had any windows. More importantly, the short sentence revealed that Willow might be one of the only ones who knew a little more about the house or its creatures. It would be wise to stay close to her.

Malsam rolled over to Willow and her, her eyes resting on Vivi's blade for a moment. "Nice sword." She said. "How good are you with it?" Next to her Willow shifted in the sublte way of someone trained to fight, improved her position now that she was standing close to two others instead of only Vivi. Her father had always done the same, usually without even realizing it. One more reason to stick around her.

She smiled at Malsam, careful to stay exactly where she was. It put Willow at an advantage, but that was fine for now. She had to assume that Willow wasn't planning to turn on the rest of them. Not immediatly at least. "I've trained a lot with it." she replied to Malsam. "I know what to do with it."

"Will you be able to follow us?" she asked Malsam curiously, before cringing slightly. That hadn't been too nice. "I'm sorry." She apologzied. "I simply wondered about the stairs we'll most likely find inside."

@Ookla the Quark

14 hours ago, Sorana said:

Don't stay after sundown. Vivi considered the implication of these words and wondered how she would be able to track time inside of a changing and moving manor. Maybe there would be light falling in through the windows - if the rooms they would be walking through had any windows. More importantly, the short sentence revealed that Willow might be one of the only ones who knew a little more about the house or its creatures. It would be wise to stay close to her.

Malsam rolled over to Willow and her, her eyes resting on Vivi's blade for a moment. "Nice sword." She said. "How good are you with it?" Next to her Willow shifted in the sublte way of someone trained to fight, improved her position now that she was standing close to two others instead of only Vivi. Her father had always done the same, usually without even realizing it. One more reason to stick around her.

She smiled at Malsam, careful to stay exactly where she was. It put Willow at an advantage, but that was fine for now. She had to assume that Willow wasn't planning to turn on the rest of them. Not immediatly at least. "I've trained a lot with it." she replied to Malsam. "I know what to do with it."

"Will you be able to follow us?" she asked Malsam curiously, before cringing slightly. That hadn't been too nice. "I'm sorry." She apologzied. "I simply wondered about the stairs we'll most likely find inside."

@Ookla the Quark

Malsam smiled gently up to Vivi. "Given how you carry it, I expect so. You would have to be, to come as a hired sword."

She glanced down at her chair and sighed. "I should be able to follow, my chair is light and built for me to carry. I just prefer to use it, it's safer for me.

@Sorana

Malsam is shorter than most people when standing up, much less when in her chair.

Malsam smiled at her, despite her rude question and it made Vivi wonder whether she was always this nice, or if Vivi had some bonus because of her age. Whichever it was, it was good to know that she had some leeway with her. Who knew when she would need that. She smiled brightly at the woman, made sure to straighten full of pride when Malsam mentioned that she wore her blade well. A part of was tempted to reply that of course she did, she was trained and the rapier had been crafted specifically for her, but she kept quiet. It would only lead to questions about who had trained her and why and she didn't want to talk about that. It would mean that she had to admit that they were gone for good, that she lost them. It was one thing to know and another speak the words loudly.

And so she nodded at the statement that she was a hired sword, despite the strange feeling the label caused. She had been taught to fight to protect, to do something good, not to hire her skills out to some old woman in a changing manor. But the really weird part was, that she didn't mind. It was her blade, her skills, she would use them to survive, to conquer a place for herself in this city. All noble morale would have to wait for someone else.

Vivi chewed on her feeling for another moment and then decided that she could delve deeper into this matter at a later time. "I'm glad to hear that stairs won't be a problem." she replied brightly to Malsam, focusing back on the topic at hand. "Is there something I should keep in mind? If its less safe you without it, what situations are dangerous for you?" She asked curiously.

@Ookla the Quark

On 12/5/2022 at 7:12 PM, Voidus said:

Scouting ahead in a house that moves and shifts seems unwise. She wrote, turning it to face Byron.

Byron gave a nod. "I guess so. But if there are dangers in there, running into a room blind might be more dangerous." He didn't add that he'd been trapped alone in a shifting maze before, and he'd gotten out. Eventually. The Alleys were a whole different adventure.

"If we're really on a sundown timer I won't be the biggest help, but I can keep my metal turned down. And there's a few things that can do."

Byron gave a small grin, then turned to the girl who'd wrote to him - the Lightweaver, if he knew his Surges right. "What about you, what's your name?"

7 hours ago, Sorana said:

Malsam smiled at her, despite her rude question and it made Vivi wonder whether she was always this nice, or if Vivi had some bonus because of her age. Whichever it was, it was good to know that she had some leeway with her. Who knew when she would need that. She smiled brightly at the woman, made sure to straighten full of pride when Malsam mentioned that she wore her blade well. A part of was tempted to reply that of course she did, she was trained and the rapier had been crafted specifically for her, but she kept quiet. It would only lead to questions about who had trained her and why and she didn't want to talk about that. It would mean that she had to admit that they were gone for good, that she lost them. It was one thing to know and another speak the words loudly.

And so she nodded at the statement that she was a hired sword, despite the strange feeling the label caused. She had been taught to fight to protect, to do something good, not to hire her skills out to some old woman in a changing manor. But the really weird part was, that she didn't mind. It was her blade, her skills, she would use them to survive, to conquer a place for herself in this city. All noble morale would have to wait for someone else.

Vivi chewed on her feeling for another moment and then decided that she could delve deeper into this matter at a later time. "I'm glad to hear that stairs won't be a problem." she replied brightly to Malsam, focusing back on the topic at hand. "Is there something I should keep in mind? If its less safe you without it, what situations are dangerous for you?" She asked curiously.

@Ookla the Quark

Malsam's smile turned slightly sour. "I have been called...delicate. It is somewhat accurate, my bones break very easily. I have been cosseted enough, though. And I'm at least as good with my sword as you are with your rapier." She absently touched the sword strapped to the back of her chair, and her smile became more genuine. "That would be an interesting contest. Your sword looks well-made, and especially for you."

@Sorana

Whisper gave a small, unconcerned shrug to Byron's reply. If the Pulser wanted to rush ahead and get himself killed it was none of her concern. Nothing in either the request from the DA nor the Lady's mission required keeping everyone alive. She had made some pretense of concern and caution already, that would have to do for now. Once they were in more dangerous circumstances it would be easier to pretend she felt some sense of camaraderie.

You may call me Willow. She wrote again, turning it for the room this time instead of just for Vivi.

Looking around once more at each of those here, she began checking over her series of knives once again, both those visible and a few still unseen. It should be enough, if only barely. She had not brought any of cadmium but fortunately enough the two with temporal Allomancy also both had feruchemical abilities. The trick would be in ensuring that as few people as possible were killed outright immediately. Depending upon circumstance she may even be able to pass it off as a mercy, a hard but necessary decision to avoid needless suffering. After all the only person present who might have some ability to heal others was the potential Forger, and that was not the quickest of crafts. Or at least, not for most of them.

The ghost of a smile fluttered across her expression as she surveyed the room, resting on the Lady Verity and the steward Cobalt for just a moment longer than the others. The lady would not be joining them certainly, that was the point of their hire after all. Would she send the Steward to keep an eye on them? And perhaps with some secret mission of his own? He would be more aware of the dangers than any others here were, and more on edge after having to endure them already. Plenty of ways for her to manage that as well.

We should perhaps prepare. She wrote. Unless there are further questions?

@Ashbringer / all

And she'd pushed her to her border. Vivi hid a satisfied smile when Malsam's reaction was a bit sour. "I have been called...delicate. It is somewhat accurate, my bones break very easily. I have been cosseted enough, though. And I'm at least as good with my sword as you are with your rapier." But she'd still spilled her weakness. Vivi lifted her hands a little to pacify her, but then the woman went on, her smile genuine again. "That would be an interesting contest. Your sword looks well-made, and especially for you."

A duel? Had that really been an offer for a duel? Vivi had heard stories of the duels that happened in the city, it was exactly the kind of story her father would tell in the evening. She felt her smile falter and then slowly, taking care that her gesture couldn't be mistaken as offensive, she drew her rapier partially and turned a little so that Malsam could see. "My father had it made for me." It was lighter than the usual weapon, a bit thinner, a bit shorter. Perfect for someone her size and strength. Gently she put it back and blinked her eyes a few times to get rid of some unwelcome tears collecting there. He was gone. Couldn't she finally get over it. He'd been gone for too long already.

"When we fight," she changed the topic quickly, "If you want to, we can try to position you to the side or the back of the enemy, not directly at the center. That way you can move and evade and don't need to rely on blocking some blows." If her bones really broke quickly, that might be wise. And if she prefered to do otherwise Vivi wouldn't stop her. Every blow someone else caught wasn't caught by herself.

She looked through the room, tried to sort them all a little, depending on the skills they had spoken about and the way they held themselves. The first dangerous situation would most likely show more, she would need to reevaluate later. Willow checked her knives, some worn openly, some hidden, Byron was still confident that he should scout the house on his own. The others were silent now, probably preparing.

Vivi looked back at Malsam and made a quick decision. "If you'd really like to see who's better, we could meet again once this is over." Then she gestured towards Willow's sentence. "I agree. We should prepare and start. If we need to be out by sundown, the earlier we're inside the better."

@Ookla the Quark

Edited by Sorana

12 hours ago, Sorana said:

And she'd pushed her to her border. Vivi hid a satisfied smile when Malsam's reaction was a bit sour. "I have been called...delicate. It is somewhat accurate, my bones break very easily. I have been cosseted enough, though. And I'm at least as good with my sword as you are with your rapier." But she'd still spilled her weakness. Vivi lifted her hands a little to pacify her, but then the woman went on, her smile genuine again. "That would be an interesting contest. Your sword looks well-made, and especially for you."

A duel? Had that really been an offer for a duel? Vivi had heard stories of the duels that happened in the city, it was exactly the kind of story her father would tell in the evening. She felt her smile falter and then slowly, taking care that her gesture couldn't be mistaken as offensive, she drew her rapier partially and turned a little so that Malsam could see. "My father had it made for me." It was lighter than the usual weapon, a bit thinner, a bit shorter. Perfect for someone her size and strength. Gently she put it back and blinked her eyes a few times to get rid of some unwelcome tears collecting there. He was gone. Couldn't she finally get over it. He'd been gone for too long already.

"When we fight," she changed the topic quickly, "If you want to, we can try to position you to the side or the back of the enemy, not directly at the center. That way you can move and evade and don't need to rely on blocking some blows." If her bones really broke quickly, that might be wise. And if she prefered to do otherwise Vivi wouldn't stop her. Every blow someone else caught wasn't caught by herself.

She looked through the room, tried to sort them all a little, depending on the skills they had spoken about and the way they held themselves. The first dangerous situation would most likely show more, she would need to reevaluate later. Willow checked her knives, some worn openly, some hidden, Byron was still confident that he should scout the house on his own. The others were silent now, probably preparing.

Vivi looked back at Malsam and made a quick decision. "If you'd really like to see who's better, we could meet again once this is over." Then she gestured towards Willow's sentence. "I agree. We should prepare and start. If we need to be out by sundown, the earlier we're inside the better."

@Ookla the Quark

"My father had it made for me." Vivi said.

Malsam looked at the thin blade, perfectly proportioned for Vivi, even if she got a bit bigger. "Very well made, and of good quality metals."

"If you want to, we can try to position you to the side or the back of the enemy, not directly at the center. That way you can move and evade and don't need to rely on blocking some blows." Vivi continued.

Malsam considered for a second. "We shall see when the time comes. It really depends on what we have to fight. I am no amateur. We shall see if we survive this house. And I agree, we should go. Time waits for no one, or at least no one here." she wheeled her chair over closer to the stairs, then stopped. She closed her eyes for a moment, storing as much strength as she safely could, then stopped storing completely. Her muscles became corded and defined by years of exercise, and she stood up. With a few swift presses and twists, she collapsed her chair into what looked like a bulky briefcase, and set it next to herself.

"I'm ready when everyone else is," she called out.

@Sorana?/all

Cobalt had been watching and listening for the last half hour, assessing the group and their capabilities. 

It will do, he thought. At a nod from the Lady Warren, he stepped forward.

”Some of you are understandably confused - we will not be returning here by sundown. Likely we will be spending several nights throughout the House. Each night we shall attempt to make our way to the nearest window-line, but it is not guaranteed. The House will certainly change around us. It is unavoidable.”

He met the eyes of each one in turn, then continued. “I will lead you through the portions that I know. There will be much I do not know - that is the nature of this place now. I am an Awakener of the Fourth Heightening, and before that I was in the army in T’Telir when I lived on Nalthis. Provided behind me are packs of provisions needed for one week. If anyone is running low, you must tell me immediately and we will attempt to return. It is wise, however, to leave before sundown. You will all wish to watch the change as it happens, I am sure. The first time it can be quite a sight.”

@ everyone 

Whisper gave a nod of her head to the steward, making a mental note to remember to act surprised or scared when these changes started. It was difficult to remember sometimes when in the familiar embrace of the Alleys that some people found them disconcerting. It would also likely provide an appropriate time to set up some more Lightweaving while others were a little more distracted.

I look forward to seeing how well the girl manages. She thought idly as she moved to pick one of the packs mentioned. She seems well trained enough. And personable enough given that last exchange. But how will she do under pressure?

Children often failed that test, but then so did adults, and there were some rare children who performed unexpectedly well. A surprising number of successful denizens had joined the DA from a very young age, including Whisper herself. Perhaps it was simply a matter of acclimation, or just more experience. But this Vivi might be a potential future asset, which meant some modicum of attention may be validated here.

She picked a second pack, shouldering it as she crossed the room back to Vivi and presented it. A small gesture, and not accompanied by so much as a smile but just a small nod of the head. She also used the passing to brush the back of the girls hand, watching carefully in her periphery for any disturbance of Light that might indicate an illusion. It was best to be sure after all that it wasn't simply someone using Whisper's own tricks.

Sei stood up. Time to leave. She didn't have enough information, though. She needed to know this place's history, and a blueprint wouldn't do the trick.

Well, nothing she could do. Sei wished that she had taken the time to make a universal Soulstamp. Maybe she'd have the time in the manor, but Sei doubted that. Sei addressed the Lady Warren.
"You mentioned monsters inside the mansion. What are those creatures like?"

@ZincAboutIt @Everyone who's in this subplot

"Thank you." Vivi took the pack from Willow, surprised that she had decided to bring one over for her. Willow didn't seem to be the type to do this kind of thing. She met her eyes for a moment, wondered what went on in Willow's head and then looked away again. She would have to be careful. Everybody here was a potential enemy. Her gaze moved over to manor's lady and she forced herself to include her in that list. Better to assume that this was nothing but a trap.

Only then did she focus on the backpack in her hand. It was heavy, but she thought that she would be able to carry it. If it held provisions for a week for an adult, they would last her longer and she would never give up an edge like food.

Setting it down on the floor she opened it and looked through the contents, checked if everything was packed securely and that the food was alright to eat. She used her obvious study of the provisions to cover her search for a hidden pouch or something like that. What better way to track them, than a backpack they would need to keep close all time. Or to hurt them in a critical moment.

"Will we be able to find water inside?" she asked loudly and looked towards Cobalt. Food was one thing, but you could go a while without. Without water things would be critical far sooner.

@ZincAboutIt

Are the contents of the backpack alright? Are there any secret compartments?

Byron nodded to Willow as she went away, then he went and grabbed a pack for himself. "Also if anyone uses aluminum. Weapons, charms, whatever. Keep a hand on it. I tend to... it doesn't break my cadmium bubble, it just bends it. Whatever it is will move faster than you think. So keep that in mind," he finished.

A week's worth of food... he'd risked a lot for less before. A bit of food sent him a long way, and he had a lot of cadmium even for him. But he wanted to be done stealing. Didn't even think he'd grab anything from here unless it obviously didn't belong. It did still seem so perfect, anything missing wouldn't be found again anyway... but if that's what they wanted him to do, then fine.

"But I'm as ready as I'll ever be."

Malsam picked up her pack, quickly rifling through it and automatically checking to see if it had secrets. Nothing, and it was made of decent material as well. If they got to keep the packs as a bonus after, that would be helpful.

"I'm ready," she said, loud enough for the everyone to hear as she moved her sheath to her waist.

Edited by Ookla the Quark

Perses was handed a backpack. From the sound of it, and with a bit of feeling, it seemed to be decently supplied. Certainly not a terrible thing to have. 

A few days, he said. He definitely had the bronze sense for that, if he used it sparingly and took some of his vials. Taste and touch vials were very situational, so they should be fine. The hearingminds were a problem, though. He would need to have an extended storing period at some point. including backup heaingminds, Perses had about 16 hours of quality hearing. With about twice as good hearing, he could stretch that to 24 hours. That’ll be an issue to bring up at another time.

”I’m ready when everyone else is,” Perses said. 

So there’s an interesting interaction with this being a shifting manor. The shifting itself is silent, but anything that would make noise on its own, like a clock or a record player, would tip Perses off. Something that’s worth noting.

Additionally: I assume the shifting is not detectable by bronzesense?

Edited by Ookla the Headmuncher

Sei stared at the Lady Warren. "I get the feeling you're intentionally ignoring my question. I think that it would be in your best interest to answer. After all, I can't be expected to fight if I don't know what we're fighting."

Sei turned towards Perses. "Alright, I'm ready to go."

@ZincAboutIt @Ookla the Headmuncher

Verity sighed, then turned to Cobalt. Both shared a look, and then the Lady spoke.

”We are not intentionally hiding things from you,” she said, voice somber. “The things that prowl this house are varied. Some are unique, and Cobalt will attempt to lead you away from where they are known to frequent. The most common visitors are impossible for us to describe, since we have never seen them. No one alive has seen them. They do not appreciate being seen; anyone who turns to look at them has met with immediate demise or disappearance.”

”That feeling that something is behind you, following you - you surely know it. We have all felt it once or twice. In this place it is not mere fancy. If you feel something is following you, do not look. Do not give in to that temptation. There is something following you, and it will kill you for your curiosity. If you can manage to avoid looking, they do not seem to molest you beyond the increasing discomfort. Bright light tends to dissuade them.”

@Ookla the Nerdy

Whisper kept a stoic expression as the Lady Verity began describing what little she knew of the creatures in the house. That you should avoid looking back was of course expected, the very first thing anyone was told when entering the Alleys was usually not to look. Beyond that, Whisper did not intend to take any minimalistic verification that had been performed up until now. The Lady had neither the time nor the manpower to conduct a proper scientific investigation of matters, it would be best to assume the worst in all scenarios. 

But useful to keep in mind the extent of what knowledge the others have. She reminded herself. Easier to play the part, and easier to play off of those assumptions.

Almost she smiled, but with a placid face she turned towards the entrance, ready to begin this venture the sooner to end it. She gave a frown as one of her pockets dragged slightly, heavier than it had been when she arrived. Her eyes flickered towards Byron with some annoyance.  Aluminium spikes were a must have, they could be remarkably useful things, if slightly wasteful. She almost asked him simply to stop burning cadmium if it was going to cause problems, but given some of his claims it seemed likely that he would not be able to. Or at least not for long.

But likely the house would remove that problem for her before too long. Perhaps she would even give it a little assistance, ensuring that if casualties were to be had they would be those that benefited her the most to begin with. But there would be plenty of time to consider that later, they would need to spend quite some time together it seemed. Best not to be too hasty. And most ideally of all would be if she could bring everybody out alive, and enlightened from their experience.

Cobalt waited for the Lady to finish, then gave her a short bow.

”With your leave, Lady Warren,” he said, shouldering his own pack of supplies and gear. 

The Lady nodded back, her eyes steely despite the touch of melancholy on her face. “Find it, Cobalt. All our hopes rest upon it.”

”Yes, my Lady.”

He looked back to the assembled group, nodding again, and pointed out the doorway towards the entry hall, with its grand staircase up to the second floor.

”This is the surest and safest way to begin our journey,” Cobalt called, waiting for the group to assemble a bit before walking out into the entry hall. “It is one hour before sunset; we should have time to walk some of the outer window line before the Change occurs. Take care to stay within eyesight of one another, or however you sense your companions. The Manor… knows if you are going astray, or lagging behind. It will seek to capitalize on these advantages if you let it.”

He put one foot on the bottom-most stair and felt… something. It was possibly just his own anticipation, his mindset shifting back towards his days as a soldier, as a scout. The man he had been then was much more used to danger, more reckless. Nearing forty now, he was far more careful, more discerning. I’m times like this, that seemed the better choice, though he’d have traded some discernment for his old quick reflexes.

You are as you are, he thought sternly. It is your job to guide these people, and to see this task to completion. 

Would he die here, in this maze of a house? There was little point in musing over it. If he died, he died. For now, he was alive. A soldier’s mindset - practical, familiar. Like the handle of a good sword. Cobalt smiled a small smile filled with gallows humor. 

“Come,” he said. “Let us be about our business. The sooner we return, the sooner you all get paid, eh?”

@Ookla the Headmuncher @Sorana @Voidus @Ookla the Nerdy @Ashbringer @Ookla the Quark

Does this house actually trip any of Perses’ senses? If the house is alive but not detectable by lifesense, magical, but not detectable by bronzesense, moving, but not detectable by hearing, that would be insanely spooky. And my character would probably be insanely unnerved.

Edited by Ookla the Headmuncher

Byron hoped the guardsman's timing was right. If it was an hour... he'd been keeping his bubble on low, but it would still shave a handful of minutes off that. He'd just need to stay more in the center and not cut the group off. That or turn it off entirely at some points. He wasn't entirely sure whether a sentient changing house would be "in" the bubble or not, but if a room shifted a full-size dresser or something he didn't want to get flung into a wall. 

Maybe he should tell people that was a possibility. But it probably wouldn't be relevant. Probably. Best to keep that feeling sharp.

"I'm good with the sticking-together plan. And let me know if we need precise timing on something, I'm alright at that."

Byron paused. "Also I should probably be in the middle. Cadmium bubbles get big but still shouldn't tempt having half of us going slower than the other."

On 12/12/2022 at 6:32 PM, Voidus said:

Almost she smiled, but with a placid face she turned towards the entrance, ready to begin this venture the sooner to end it. She gave a frown as one of her pockets dragged slightly, heavier than it had been when she arrived. Her eyes flickered towards Byron with some annoyance.  Aluminium spikes were a must have, they could be remarkably useful things, if slightly wasteful.

I think if my momentum conservation is right, aluminum would move faster than normal in Byron's bubble, not slower. His time dilation's only at 1.1x or so right now, but any force applied on the aluminum from within the bubble should be 1.1x stronger.

But I don't know the math to actually verify that, so I usually go with fast + weird.