Who are the Night Brigade?

Ookla the Leafy

Whoever they are, they're clearly after Wit, and they feel that getting to Nomad/Sigzil/Aux will help them get to Wit. 

But is it possible that the Night Brigade is a benevolent group? Obviously the name sounds ominous, but that's based on humanities predisposition to night time on earth. Things are vastly different in the Cosmere, eh?

A branch thought off of this...Nomad says to Wit that if he stays, the Night Brigade will catch up to him, then use him to trace the Dawnshard back to Wit...so my secondary question....did Wit and Sigzil hold the same Dawnshard?

So, sooo looking forward to these books!

On 11/29/2022 at 9:26 AM, Harrycrapper said:

I think Brandon did confirm that Hoid and Sigzil held the same Dawnshard

He did! Relevant WOB below. 

AdelRD

Should we assume that Sigzil’s Dawnshard is the same that Hoid used to have?

Brandon Sanderson

Sigzil, at one point, held the same Dawnshard that Hoid used to have. I phrased that very intentionally.

Secret Project #4 Reveal and Livestream (March 29, 2022)

As Brandon says, he phrases it very intentionally. Sigzil didn’t become the Dawnshard like Rysn and presumably Hoid did.

He held it, at one point

(emphasis mine)

Some shenanigans regarding exact wording seem to be at play here. 

Did he become another Dawnshard and temporarily held Hoids old one? Can’t be two Dawnshards at once presumably.

49 minutes ago, King-A-Train said:

As Brandon says, he phrases it very intentionally. Sigzil didn’t become the Dawnshard like Rysn and presumably Hoid did.

He held it, at one point

(emphasis mine)

Did he become another Dawnshard and temporarily held Hoids old one? Can’t be two Dawnshards at once presumably.

It could be funny if it actually Sigzil`s spren (aux) who became a dawnshard and Sigzil held him as a shardblade. 

I don`t think this is the case because Sigzil got the torment but maybe there is some weird reason he got it without actully beeing the dawnshard.

4 hours ago, King-A-Train said:

He held it, at one point

(emphasis mine)

It's the same language he uses for Shards, Rayse was Odium, but he was also holding Odium.

And why would you be unable to hold two dawnshards?

16 hours ago, Ookla the Frustrated. said:

It's the same language he uses for Shards, Rayse was Odium, but he was also holding Odium.

True, but Brandon does word it in a certain way. Implies something is different to Rysn. 

16 hours ago, Ookla the Frustrated. said:

And why would you be unable to hold two dawnshards?

Complete assumption on my part. Happy to be proven wrong on that one. 

Since we know Sigzil ends up being (and then subsequently not being) the Dawnshard that Hoid had once been, I think whatever is So Very Bad about someone having a Nahel Bond becoming a Dawnshard is what happened to him...

Perhaps that's what "ended" his oaths? Perhaps also transformed his spren into "Auxiliary"? He does seem to think about summoning Auxiliary as a sword in the past, not just having summoned "a (different) spren" as one, and even succesfully does so at one point.

The one prior WoB in that collection (preceding the deliberate mention of Sigzil having at one point held, past tense, the same Dawnshard as Hoid, as of SP4) is far more ominous...

Graciemoo8

Does Sigzil still have his Bridge 4 tattoos?

Brandon Sanderson

So... Um... Nobody... how should we say it? We will RAFO that for now. 

Secret Project #4 Reveal and Livestream (March 29, 2022)

Nobody... What? Nobody from Bridge Four has their tattoos any more? They all Stormlight healed them off as their Identity no longer includes those Ideals?

That would make me quite sad.

3 hours ago, robardin said:

Nobody... What? Nobody from Bridge Four has their tattoos any more? They all Stormlight healed them off as their Identity no longer includes those Ideals?

That would make me quite sad.

Optimist. They are all dead but Sigzil. Now you can be sad.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/8/2022 at 5:32 PM, Oltux72 said:

Optimist. They are all dead but Sigzil. Now you can be sad.

On 3/30/2023 at 1:59 AM, Newly Awakened said:

How do you know? And is Kaladin still alive if all the others are dead? I mean he never had Bridge Four tattoos anyway.

Just worth noting that SP4 probably takes place at some point after which most of bridge 4 has died of natural causes. Kal definitely has some sort of interesting fate planned, so he might be "alive" after some fashion. Sigzil similarly seems to be more in the "special case" category that the natural aging category. While it's sad to think of our favorite characters dying, it's just part of life for 99.99999% of people in the cosmere.

We really have no clue except that they are a Threnodite mercenary group which is very important to the future of the cosmere. Brandon has talked about them a lot in WoBs about how he really has to cover them at some point before we get to Era 4. I am very interested in learning more about them. He says they would be a focus of the Threnody novel when he gets to it. 

We can also assume they are either worldhoppers, or have spaceships. Given they could chase Sigzil between planets. 

He also said they are a homage of sorts to The Black Company. If you don't know, it is a series of Dark Fantasy books by Glen Cook about an elite mercenary group. I've been interested to read it for a while. This has kind of given me more motivation to actually read it now.