Is Sazed still trustworthy?

Lavabucket14

During the Kelsier epilogue Harmony says that he has never lied to Kell two pages after telling a blatant lie. This makes me wonder what other lies Sazed has told other characters, and if he can still be considered a trustworthy source? Or maybe he just is afraid of what Kelsier specifically would do with this knowledge?

This is a hard one for sure. Is lying by omission against his shards (plural) true intent? Sazed is for sure the youngest shard, (second behind Teravangian, I think) but I think he has a unique perspective on what is strictly good and bad or right and wrong considering he's holding preservation and ruin. Overall, yes I think he's still trustworthy, but he's in great conflict with himself.

Trustworthy in what sense? Wax was hard-used by Harmony, even though Harmony was working for the best possible outcomes for everybody (as he defined them), including Wax. Just because he doesn't do what one character or another wants doesn't mean that he's betraying anybody. I think he still has the right goals and motivations, and is doing what he can according to those. His becoming indecisive, maybe even impotent, may make it a less advisable idea to rely on him for specific things, but I don't think anyone has much reason to distrust him.

I think he's still working for Scadrial and its people as best he can, while also learning that he has to factor the wider Cosmere into those considerations.

On 11/27/2022 at 6:14 AM, Lavabucket14 said:

During the Kelsier epilogue Harmony says that he has never lied to Kell two pages after telling a blatant lie. This makes me wonder what other lies Sazed has told other characters, and if he can still be considered a trustworthy source? Or maybe he just is afraid of what Kelsier specifically would do with this knowledge?

I think that Harmony feared that with that knowledge Kelsier would want to give more and more people in his organization allomancy and would begin to be careless with the trellium, ettmetal explosions. I think that Sazed is still trustworthy, but the protagonists have to be careful to speak with Sazed when he is Harmony not Discord.

20 hours ago, Ookla the Leafy said:

This is a hard one for sure. Is lying by omission against his shards (plural) true intent?

Would lying be against either intent? Especially by omission. He isn’t Honor. 

Preserving truth is the only thing I can see that would maybe keep him from lying. But mix that with Ruin wanting to be the opposite; destroying truth? Destroying the relationship with his friend? This could just cancel any requirement to tell the truth, or at least the full truth. 

21 hours ago, Ookla the Leafy said:

I think he has a unique perspective on what is strictly good and bad or right and wrong considering he's holding preservation and ruin. Overall, yes I think he's still trustworthy, but he's in great conflict with himself.

He was a good person, so I think the vessel wouldn’t lie to his old friend for the sake of it.  He lies by omission to presumably prevent Kelsier gaining dangerous abilities.

Add this to the potential Discord conflict though and there could be more to it than just preventing Kelsier / Ghostbloods from gaining allomancy.