Allomantic Space Travel

darniil

Unless he had the mass of a small planet or moon :D then he would fall faster! - Ok so now I'm being silly. But the thought of an allomancer with the mass of a planet if intriguing.

Any Iron feruchemist can become any weoght for a small amount of time. For example,if you can drain metalmind, becoming 2 times heavier for a day, you can probably become nearly planet-massed for a nanosecond. It is even easier for Compunders

Unless he had the mass of a small planet or moon :D then he would fall faster! - Ok so now I'm being silly. But the thought of an allomancer with the mass of a planet if intriguing.

I believe he said his mass became roughly equivalent to a small building during this fall. More than enough to go through the floor, but probably not enough to be producing a gravitational field that would be noticeable over the planets.

As promised, I was at work thinking about the problem some more and I thought about what happens when the bullet Wax shot left the bubble. The bullet slowed down as it left the bubble, therefore the bubble had to gain both momentum and energy (refined from my previous thought, still not sure where the momentum problem is).

I'm very curious what particles are responsible for making the bubble and how they act. My guess is that when an Allomancer burns his/her metal, those particles are energized, forming the bubble. When an Allomancer flares the burn, those particles gain even more energy, and the time difference increases.

So, given that objects leaving a bubble are transferring energy to the particles of the bubble, you are in effect speeding up or slowing down the respective bubble. I could definitely see some sort of interactions in the future series where technology is able to isolate those particles, speed them up, and make a time bubble. How that relates to FTL, /shrug.

As promised, I was at work thinking about the problem some more and I thought about what happens when the bullet Wax shot left the bubble. The bullet slowed down as it left the bubble, therefore the bubble had to gain both momentum and energy (refined from my previous thought, still not sure where the momentum problem is).

I'm very curious what particles are responsible for making the bubble and how they act. My guess is that when an Allomancer burns his/her metal, those particles are energized, forming the bubble. When an Allomancer flares the burn, those particles gain even more energy, and the time difference increases.

So, given that objects leaving a bubble are transferring energy to the particles of the bubble, you are in effect speeding up or slowing down the respective bubble. I could definitely see some sort of interactions in the future series where technology is able to isolate those particles, speed them up, and make a time bubble. How that relates to FTL, /shrug.

Well, unless the universe Brandon is building has different physical laws from ours, remember there is no such thing as a "time bubble", that is just the current understanding of people in the world. They are really bending space-time when the put up a Bendalloy/Cadmium bubble.

How much energy is generated by bending space-time potentially? Where does that energy go?

The way I understand his statement, Brandon is saying that FTL tech would be based on harnessing the energy that is generated "in certain allomantic interactions" and I do think those are the "time" based ones and figuring out where the "lost" energy goes...

But I'm not a physicist either, just read their 'for the masses' books by Stephen Hawking and Brian Greene

mabey a Duraluminum/Nicrocis enchaced time bubble could tear a hole in the space-time continum, depsiting the contents of the bubble in a different part of the multiverse. I don't know how you would stear it, though. Or even what that would do to the surrondings.

sorry for the typos

Edited by Posaune

Well, unless the universe Brandon is building has different physical laws from ours, remember there is no such thing as a "time bubble", that is just the current understanding of people in the world. They are really bending space-time when the put up a Bendalloy/Cadmium bubble.

How much energy is generated by bending space-time potentially? Where does that energy go?

The way I understand his statement, Brandon is saying that FTL tech would be based on harnessing the energy that is generated "in certain allomantic interactions" and I do think those are the "time" based ones and figuring out where the "lost" energy goes...

But I'm not a physicist either, just read their 'for the masses' books by Stephen Hawking and Brian Greene

I've an undergraduate degree in physics so I'm definitely working on this based off of our laws. And while they are manipulating spacetime, that region of spacetime has electromagnetic/gravitational fields that are interacting. The way we represent those interactions is with particles (force transmitters, ie photons, gravitons).

Allomancy could be the fifth "force" in his universe and all interactions happen to some unseen allomancy particles. I don't know. I've not followed Brandon's work long (notice when I joined the forum) to know how he's developed his system. I'm just taking a stab in the dark in a method that seems to make sense for me. With him bringing up thermodynamics, that leads me to particle interaction. Since thermodynamics is macroscopic effect of microscopic particle interactions (Statistical Mechanics).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that storing weight doesn't affect momentum. I think there was one scene in AoL that implied that. Is that correct?

*Intervenes very quickly*

There was a very in-depth discussion about this on this thread. The conclusion was ultimately the velocity, but not momentum, remained unaffected.

*Intervenes very quickly*

There was a very in-depth discussion about this on this thread. The conclusion was ultimately the velocity, but not momentum, remained unaffected.

Yep :) Just justified that one by the law of energy conservation.

• Chaos locked this topic