[SP4] [SL5] [Spoilers] Theory on Kaladin's battle with depression.

BubbaBaggins360

Hey all, I have a theory about Kaladin which is in part derived from the information we know in secret project 4, and mistborn era 2 which pertains to his role in Stormlight 5. Spoilers be ahead

I know Brandon doesn't like allegory but the idea is that the story of Fleet is an allegory for Kaladin's battle with depression. To summarize, Fleet is racing against the storm. He starts in Alethcar, races to the mountains staying only slightly ahead of the storm and then has a period of relative ease in the race across Azir. Then he hits the mountains of Shinovar but he's spent and tired. He's always staying just a step ahead of the storm at this point as he feels it wearing down on him. But he finally makes it over the mountains and hits the planes of Shinovar with the storm, now a trickle behind him. But it does take him in the end, he's beaten by the race and the storm and he does die. But as Wit says at the end, "So in that land of dirt and soil, our hero stopped the storm itself, and while the rain came down like tears, our Fleet refused to end this race. His body dead but not his will, within those winds his soul did rise. It blew upon the day's last song to win the race and claim the dawn. Past the sea and past the waves, our Fleet no longer lost his breath. Forever strong, forever fast, forever free to race the wind." This story is told by Wit but Wit tells it as if it's Kaladin telling the story and Wit tells Kaladin that it IS his story. "I know most stories, only the names change"

Drawing the parallel, we know that Kaladin has always struggled with some degree of depression. He was born in Alethcar, but eventually made his way to as a slave to the Shattered Planes where he nearly took his own life at the chasm. I think that was his first mountain. Then through the next couple of books, he has nothing quite so grim, though he's definitely still fighting depression throughout. I think was represents the mountains of Shinovar would be his story throughout RoW. Beaten, broken, spent, and tired of everything. He has his depression eating at him from all sides but his will alone is what keeps him going.

We know that Stormlight 5 will take place in parts of Shinovar. I believe that Kaladin will die in Stormlight 5. But from Secret Project 4, we know that Sigzil when he first see's Wit, he think's it's Kaladin. So that means that Kaladin is in a different form and it's dead (completely). I think that even though Kaladin will die, I think he'll either become a herald, or he'll become a cognitive shadow, but I don't think that Kaladin will pass beyond the cognitive realm.

Edited by BubbaBaggins360
typo

On 11/23/2022 at 5:02 PM, BubbaBaggins360 said:

His body dead but not his will, within those winds his soul did rise. It blew upon the day's last song to win the race and claim the dawn. Past the sea and past the waves, our Fleet no longer lost his breath. Forever strong, forever fast, forever free to race the wind.

I think Kaladin will become the Stormfather. He's the only characterthe SF refers to as "Son of Tanavast", and the SF is a result of Tanavast's cognitive shadow combining with the spren of the highstorm. Couldn't begin to tease out the details of how that all happens, but I'd put money on it.