Tower of Ghenjei: An ICanon subplot

The Aspiring Archivist

Just now, Ookla the Untitled said:

"Nice to meet you too. Could you, um, explain why TAAron freaked out like that?"

So Nameless is soulless right? That might mean that Tors can't bond to him, because she bonds via the soul.

Well... according to my new understanding of what caused the destruction of our home world and an odd dream that Haly and he shared, it is possible that his friend... who he assumed to be dead for five years... is still alive somewhere in interdimensional space.

1 hour ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

Well... according to my new understanding of what caused the destruction of our home world and an odd dream that Haly and he shared, it is possible that his friend... who he assumed to be dead for five years... is still alive somewhere in interdimensional space.

Wynn gave TAAron a stern look.

"I understand that you're in a lot of distress right now, but you cannot go running off like that. This dimension is incredibly dangerous if you don't know your way around. Would you like to be examined by Nurse Joy when she's done with Nameless?"

2 minutes ago, Ookla the Obstinate said:

Wynn gave TAAron a stern look.

"I understand that you're in a lot of distress right now, but you cannot go running off like that. This dimension is incredibly dangerous if you don't know your way around. Would you like to be examined by Nurse Joy when she's done with Nameless?"

"Why? What can she do that was never discovered in decades' worth of research?" His voice sounded strained, like he was still trying not to cry.

2 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"Why? What can she do that was never discovered in decades' worth of research?" His voice sounded strained, like he was still trying not to cry.

"Research schesearch. It might not be able to repair your soul, but sometimes just talking things out can help you feel better."

Just now, Ookla the Obstinate said:

"Research schesearch. It might not be able to repair your soul, but sometimes just talking things out can help you feel better."

"I don't need to talk about it! I don't think you get what's happening. I've been working for five years to figure out who killed my best friend and how. Now my friend might not be dead, and that man is out to kill me. And... And..." TAAron collapsed to the floor again, and broke down sobbing.

1 minute ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"I don't need to talk about it! I don't think you get what's happening. I've been working for five years to figure out who killed my best friend and how. Now my friend might not be dead, and that man is out to kill me. And... And..." TAAron collapsed to the floor again, and broke down sobbing.

Wynn awkwardly patted him on the back.

"Well, comforting you failed. Let's try a different tactic. Tell me, why is he trying to kill you?"

1 minute ago, Ookla the Obstinate said:

Wynn awkwardly patted him on the back.

"Well, comforting you failed. Let's try a different tactic. Tell me, why is he trying to kill you?"

That's kind of his express purpose. Destruction. I think he hasn't straight out killed TAAron yet because he wants to get you all at once. Then again, maybe he's just toying with us.

Does Wynn have any metal on her?

Just now, Ookla the Inverted said:

That's kind of his express purpose. Destruction. I think he hasn't straight out killed TAAron yet because he wants to get you all at once. Then again, maybe he's just toying with us.

Yes, mainly her duel disk, but some also jewelry and things like that

"Okay, but why is he targeting TAAron specifically? And this Tristan guy... him being not dead is a good thing, right? We can go find him and beat the bad guy and everything will be happy and great, right?" Her tone was slightly sarcastic. "Look, TAAron. I'm bad at being empathetic, so I'll tell it too you straight. This evil destruction guy is bad news, and he's done stuff to you, I get that. If you actually wanna make things better, then you need to pull yourself together. We're gonna go fix your soul and stop the bad guy and find your friend, so you need to get your head in the game."

Oof. That was a little bit mean. I hope it worked. If this is some sort of weird soul damage thing, then that could be... bad.

"Okay, but why is he targeting TAAron specifically? And this Tristan guy... him being not dead is a good thing, right? We can go find him and beat the bad guy and everything will be happy and great, right?" Her tone was slightly sarcastic. "Look, TAAron. I'm bad at being empathetic, so I'll tell it too you straight. This evil destruction guy is bad news, and he's done stuff to you, I get that. If you actually wanna make things better, then you need to pull yourself together. We're gonna go fix your soul and stop the bad guy and find your friend, so you need to get your head in the game."

Oof. That was a little bit mean. I hope it worked. If this is some sort of weird soul damage thing, then that could be... bad.

He is likely targeting TAAron because TAAron is the last person from his home world to have escaped is destruction, not counting myself. He wants to finish what he started.

"We can't find him. He's probably long gone. Anyways, why are you involving yourself in this? You have no reason to want to help me."

2 hours ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"I... see." Nameless opened his mouth, looking uncomfortable, then closed it. "I'm... that must be hard."

What? No, Nameless has a soul. He's pretty much a normal person, aside from being able to use the One Power.

Just now, Ookla the Untitled said:

"I... see." Nameless opened his mouth, looking uncomfortable, then closed it. "I'm... that must be hard."

Oh. For some reason I recall him being referred to as a Soulless. Is his soul damaged in any way? If so, give me the damage level on a scale from 1-10

5 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

He is likely targeting TAAron because TAAron is the last person from his home world to have escaped is destruction, not counting myself. He wants to finish what he started.

"We can't find him. He's probably long gone. Anyways, why are you involving yourself in this? You have no reason to want to help me."

"Well, I'm helping you weather you like it or not."  She stared at him stubbornly. "And probably isn't concrete enough to freak out like that. We are GOING to find him, and we are GOING to fix your soul, so STOP BEING SAD AND GET TO WORK."

I don't think I'm doing this right. He doesn't look cheered up. Why do I always have to be the 'tough love' person?

5 minutes ago, Ookla the Untitled said:

I also thought he was a Soulless for some reason. Am I mixing him up with a different character?

"Well, I'm helping you weather you like it or not."  She stared at him stubbornly. "And probably isn't concrete enough to freak out like that. We are GOING to find him, and we are GOING to fix your soul, so STOP BEING SAD AND GET TO WORK."

I don't think I'm doing this right. He doesn't look cheered up. Why do I always have to be the 'tough love' person?

In a burst of emotion, TAAron yelled, burning steel. Metal objects all around him like the fence and Wynn's jewelry were Pushed away from him with tremendous force. TAAron felt the magic eat at his soul as he did it, but he didn't care.

"I don't think you have a very good grasp on human emotion!"

2 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

In a burst of emotion, TAAron yelled, burning steel. Metal objects all around him like the fence and Wynn's jewelry were Pushed away from him with tremendous force. TAAron felt the magic eat at his soul as he did it, but he didn't care.

"I don't think you have a very good grasp on human emotion!"

The fence leaned over then came back up like it was on some kind of invisible hinge. Wynn, however, went flying.

Ow. Okay, tough love doesn't work. I'll just lie here for a bit. She didn't get up. Rethink my life choices maybe. The arm her duel disk was strapped to burned. Dislocated shoulder, maybe. Her other arm was cut from her bracelets pushing into her skin. Good thing he can't push the steel plating. I would be very much dead.

Inverted, you're so close to 800 posts!

I don't think I ever referred to Nameless as a Soulless. Thaidakar's a Soulless, so maybe you're getting him mixed up with Nameless? His soul's not super damaged, but he is dealing with some madness from the One Power. Maybe a 3-5/10?

Nameless growled, shoving himself upright. "TAAron! Stop that right now. I know you're upset, alright? Believe me, I know. But if you ever want to see your friend again, you've got to live long enough to get your soul healed! So stop using allomancy before you make yourself lose your memories again."

11 minutes ago, Ookla the Untitled said:

Nameless growled, shoving himself upright. "TAAron! Stop that right now. I know you're upset, alright? Believe me, I know. But if you ever want to see your friend again, you've got to live long enough to get your soul healed! So stop using allomancy before you make yourself lose your memories again."

TAAron released his steel.

"I'm never going to see him again. It would be ridiculous to try." He took a few deep breaths. "Wynn? Is she okay?

9 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

TAAron released his steel.

"I'm never going to see him again. It would be ridiculous to try." He took a few deep breaths. "Wynn? Is she okay?

Haly, who had been still looking around for a burger joint, returned. “Um. Looks like I missed stuff.”

Just now, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

Haly, who had been still looking around for a burger joint, returned. “Um. Looks like I missed stuff.”

"Hey," TAAron said in a near-whisper. He remained on the ground, eyes red from crying. "You all should leave. Just, wait for Nameless to get better, go back to the Clinic, and leave me here."

"Hey," TAAron said in a near-whisper. He remained on the ground, eyes red from crying. "You all should leave. Just, wait for Nameless to get better, go back to the Clinic, and leave me here."

Haly folded her arms. “I seem to recall a very, very similar conversation. My answer is the same as it was then.”

Just now, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

“I heard a little. He’s still alive, right?”

"No! No, no, no. He can't be. I, uh... Look, I just hurt Wynn and Nameless both indirectly and directly. I'm actively a danger now. I should just..." He began burning iron, the nearby fence twisting. He began sliding backwards towards the fence, which now had spikes and twisted metal facing out at him. He stopped right before he reached it, a spike dangerously close to his neck.

TAAron is not in a good headspace, let's just say that.

"No! No, no, no. He can't be. I, uh... Look, I just hurt Wynn and Nameless both indirectly and directly. I'm actively a danger now. I should just..." He began burning iron, the nearby fence twisting. He began sliding backwards towards the fence, which now had spikes and twisted metal facing out at him. He stopped right before he reached it, a spike dangerously close to his neck.

“TAAron, stop,” Haly begged, dragging him away from the spike. “This isn’t going to help anyone, least of all us.”

1 minute ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

“TAAron, stop,” Haly begged, dragging him away from the spike. “This isn’t going to help anyone, least of all us.”

"Haly, I'm so glad I met you. You have been... kinder to me that I would have believed to be possible. And I'm so, so sorry you ended up meeting me. I don't deserve to have you as a friend."

"Haly, I'm so glad I met you. You have been... kinder to me that I would have believed to be possible. And I'm so, so sorry you ended up meeting me. I don't deserve to have you as a friend."

Tears stung her eyes. “Stop it! Stop talking like that. You’re scaring me.”