Could Wayne Have Saved Himself?

Gquirt

In talking with a friend about Wayne's death at the end, he mentioned that Wayne could have potentially broken off a small piece of his gold metalmind and burned it to compound and allow him to heal from the explosion. Much like Miles did in previous books.

Here's my proposed order of events:

1. Wayne digs out and chips off a piece of his metalmind, but doesn't swallow it yet.
  2. Wayne makes the duralumin speed bubble and disarms the bomb.
  3. Wayne swallows the gold before the speed bubble drops.
  4. Explosion happens, but Wayne heals enough to survive due to compounding.
  5. Drowning wouldn't be an issue because Wayne could just heal from the lack of Oxygen.

Could this have worked? Did Wayne actually die needlessly?

It's possible that he could have, and Harmony even tells him that he has a 1 in 100 or so chance of figuring out a way to maybe do that. But, Wayne knew that doing so would possibly doom the world and everyone else. Him not clinging to the chances is what added to his heroism. He wasn't sure to die, in which case he had no real agency, but he put all those lives ahead of his chance to survive.

Could he even have compounded gold with his metalminds that drained?

On a meta-level, I assumed that was the point of the repeated fights with Dumad and the false Wayne - it was to give us a coherent reason Wayne's goldminds were more or less completely tapped out by the end, so there wasn't anything much left he could do.

Do we know how dirty a harmonium bomb is? Would Wayne also have to contend with radiation sickness?

Ok, here is the thing... yes there was a way he could have survived. We may not have found it yet, but I mean sequential speed bubbles maybe?

Maybe a giant speed bubble with one edge just outside the blast then steel push to the other side of the bubble. 

Reserve one vial and a couple bags of Bendalloy.

But... he was doomed.

His only chance would have been to find a fridge to hide in. He wouldn’t have been hurt at all if he was in a fridge.

I don’t think he could have healed through it. He was right next to the largest man made explosion in the history of the Cosmere. He would have been reduced to a fine mist within a second. 

Edited by Child of Hodor

Personally, I don't believe that any amount of healing would have allowed Wayne to survive this explosion, but one possible option for acquiring extra health reserves  hasn't been mentioned anywhere so far - he should have checked Gertrude's metalminds. Given how much health she had, there was more than an even chance for some of them being unkeyed metalminds filled by somebody else for her, like Lady Kelesina's metalmind back in BoM.

The problem definitely was one more of the durability of him and the goldminds he'd be depending on- basically he'd be bloodmisted instantly and any gold would be spread like atomized scattershot. Maybe if he had a stomach full of pewter and duralumin'd while tapping an immense amount of Health to take advantage of the increased toughness w/ healing factor but I'm unsure of his odds.

12 hours ago, Darth_Hel said:

It's possible that he could have, and Harmony even tells him that he has a 1 in 100 or so chance of figuring out a way to maybe do that. But, Wayne knew that doing so would possibly doom the world and everyone else. Him not clinging to the chances is what added to his heroism. He wasn't sure to die, in which case he had no real agency, but he put all those lives ahead of his chance to survive.

I think the very low probability chance Harmony was referring to was "the other option" - for Wayne to use his new powers to Push hard enough against metals on shore to keep the ship from hitting anything, to keep it in the middle of the ocean "treading water" while we "figure something else out".

That would not only be difficult to do Allomantically, but also rely on "figuring something out" in that extra time that they didn't have a plan for already. It's not like they had a Plan B to go to, "if only we had more time", and maybe he could Push the ship away from shore long/hard enough to effectuate it; going that route, all they might end up with was the bombship detonating a half hour or so later than it would have originally, and Wayne being too exhausted to do his super-time-bubble Plan A.

Edited by robardin

8 hours ago, robardin said:

I think the very low probability chance Harmony was referring to was "the other option" - for Wayne to use his new powers to Push hard enough against metals on shore to keep the ship from hitting anything, to keep it in the middle of the ocean "treading water" while we "figure something else out".

This almost feels like what happens in the world where Wayne isn't on that ship to make the call - Wax isn't that good with bendalloy so he'd more or less have to work out a pushing solution.