Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SpinningSky

Atium retcon and the lost metal

5 posts in this topic

So I'm pretty sure most of us will be aware of the "Atium retcon", I find myself a bit confused about how that works with what we saw in the Lost Metal.

So, what we call Atium in era 1 is actually a blend, not the pure godmetal, otherwise anyone could burn it.
Wax made Atium and actual Lerasium starting from Harmonium in his experiment. As we know actual Harmonium was used and actual Lerasium was made, it stands to reason that actual Atium was the other product.
At the end of the book, Marsh can keep living (using the compounding trick) because Wax made Atium (which in this case would need to be the tainted Atium from book 1, the allomantic metal).

I'm wondering wether I should just let this go and understand that era 1 didn't have godmetals fully fleshed out, or if there's actually a way for this to still make sense, what do you think?

Why can't Marsh take the Atium that was produced and mix it with electrum to make nalatium (Era 1 Atium) and live that way

On 21/11/2022 at 3:17 PM, Arceoxys said:

Why can't Marsh take the Atium that was produced and mix it with electrum to make nalatium (Era 1 Atium) and live that way

Also does he need to, does feruchemical atium need to be nalatium to compound age/youth?

On 21/11/2022 at 11:17 PM, Arceoxys said:

Well, that answers that. For me at least.

Of course this still leaves the ever-present burning desire for more answers but I suppose I'll just have to be patient for Era 3.

I can see how that could work! 

It doesn't convince me fully,  we're talking Atium dust, I don't know if Marsh as he is now is gonna get into a lab and properly alloy Atium dust and Electrum, it's not like he can just mix the powders

So it can make sense to me, but it seems like a workaround to make it make sense, rather than an incorporation by brandon of the Retcon in the books.
After thinking about it, I think he didn't want to commit to canon the retcon just yet and just ignored the issue

9 hours ago, King-A-Train said:

Also does he need to, does feruchemical atium need to be nalatium to compound age/youth?

the composition of the metals are critical for them to work properly in Allomancy, but I mean you could also assume that Atium works anyways because godmetal