*Moff totters into the room, holding a drink in each claw*

“Formulated brilliant plan to identify the Cultists, I have. Used the power of the Force to find them all, I did. Reveal them all to you I will. Let me have this drink first before revealing my brilliant line of deduction.”

*slurps down drink. Moff’s ears stand straight up in the air, his head spins 360 degrees for 5 minutes*

”…Where am I and what am I doing here….”

12 minutes ago, Madagascar said:

*Moff totters into the room, holding a drink in each claw*

“Formulated brilliant plan to identify the Cultists, I have. Used the power of the Force to find them all, I did. Reveal them all to you I will. Let me have this drink first before revealing my brilliant line of deduction.”

*slurps down drink. Moff’s ears stand straight up in the air, his head spins 360 degrees for 5 minutes*

”…Where am I and what am I doing here….”

The drunkard fell over and Smarts raised an eyebrow, setting down the piece of the droid he’d been repairing. He hobbled over to the fallen man and lifted him up, giving him a good shake. He wasn’t very heavy, but Smarts’ arms were strong from years of pounding and screwing. While some technicians avoiding anything besides a simple fix job, Smarts was a craftsman.

”Hey, anyone in there?” he said. “That plan sounds pretty interesting; do you have any thoughts about the other people here?”

Edited by Ookla the Tall

23 minutes ago, Ookla the Tall said:

The drunkard fell over and Smarts raised an eyebrow, setting down the piece of the droid he’d been repairing. He hobbled over to the fallen man and lifted him up, giving him a good shake. He wasn’t very heavy, but Smarts’ arms were strong from years of pounding and screwing. While some technicians avoiding anything besides a simple fix job, Smarts was a craftsman.

”Hey, anyone in there?” he said. “That plan sounds pretty interesting; do you have any thoughts about the other people here?”

Allow me to redirect you to this:

1 hour ago, Ookla the [Redacted] said:

Man… it really does hit you when you realize just how little of this language you actually speak.

To think… here of all places…

A sith? Really? Though he really ought not to be surprised. He knew well enough that this sort of place was a melting pot for scum and backstabbers. And it was rather like him to get wound up in these situations anyways.

”As it stands, we haven’t any clue as to who’s friend and who’s foe,” Tantyck said, though neither term really made sense here. Friends nor enemies were quite abundant here. “But we ought to be narrowing down our focus regardless.”

On any other planet it’d be ‘impolite’ to start throwing out accusations already. But, of course… this wasn’t any other planet.

Tantyck scanned the room, then set his eyes on the droid mechanic.

”Smarts,” he said, voice still as level as always. “You’ve been uncharacteristically quiet.”

Matrimget poked I guess

Jev stepped out of the bar in the midst of the chaos. No comms. That meant no way to hail their crew. No way off-planet. No way off-planet with a bounty hunter on their tail. If they wanted to live through this, they couldn't do it as Jev. They had several fake IDs on them, but that wouldn't help when the hunters had a holo of their face. They needed a disguise, quick. They could rule out several options immediately. No one important would be trapped here. They'd all have personal shuttles and entourages. Same with most competent people. Most of the incompetents would already have been in the bar. The non-human disguises wouldn't hold up under prolonged scrutiny. Only a few options left now. Shoot for competence, or try to hang low. 

The thing is, everyone notices someone with something to hide. The trick to keeping on the down-low is to be someone so vibrantly obvious that no one thinks to look deeper. There was only one outfit that could do the trick. Tilana Pavin, an old name in the business. She had her fingers in criminal activity across the star system. They had trained under the real Pavin once, many years ago, to get her posture and accent just so. She walked like a bird of prey, sudden movements and placid stillness, and she did not blink. She'd actually gotten modded with a nictitating membrane just so she wouldn't have to blink. Jev didn't have the credits for anything so drastic, but sclera lenses looked much the same. They just had to keep any blinking slow and deliberate, a mockery instead of a necessity. 

Waterproof make-up to hide their freckles, a quick change of clothes, a set of sharper teeth, tied-back hair, and of course, the lenses. The persona wasn't perfect. No amount of training could hide a lack of extra joints, but it didn't have to be perfect. It just had to be good enough that no one would dare call them out. Sure, maybe the Lady Pavin would reward them handsomely for catching an imposter, but the punishment for being wrong was far worse than death. They just had to stay in character for long enough to justify Pavin leaving, then come back with a different face. Then, hopefully the bounty hunter would think Jev had gotten off-planet before the comms went down.

They pulled open the door in a single movement and stepped over the counter in that step-jerk fashion. "What does it take for a lady to get a drink around here?" The words felt round and full in their mouth, smooth like whiskey and sharp like glass. They smiled, hoping the way the false teeth caught the light wasn't noticeable in the dimness of the bar.

The bartender slid them an ale, and they sipped it once. Pavin checked every drink for poison first, though Jev didn't have the mods to let them actually taste anything wrong with it. They didn't actually like this type of ale, but everyone knew Tilana Pavin's preferred drink. They knocked it back, slammed the glass down, and wiped their mouth with a hand. "Now, what's this I hear about a Sith destroying key infrastructure in this fine locale?"

Ok so this game is so cool I just want to preface this with that this is so cool the wincons will take contemplating but first I was thinking duel thoughts earlier and I kind of determined theyre not a great option to take for either party cause like the outcome of the duel is basically random assuming optimal RP from both sides and  either the challenger ends up dead which is kinda pointless or the challenger is revealed to the other side and if its a Jedi challenging the Sith just kill them next time or the time after the protect cant be used twice and cant be used on yourself and like the Sith can just sort of pick off anyone they want to kill and if the Jedi are suspicious enough of someone to duel them surely theyd be able to make an adequate case in thread cause theres no PMs no transfer of secret information besides Knight Sith and Apprentice comms 

So standard ratios do not apply this game honestly the only consideration for balancing numbers how much padding the Jedi need to not get murdered immediately with also considering the more cultists around the better chance they get apprenticed and get protects and just defend their Sith masters forever and really the only reason why the Desann care about the cultists is every vote wasted getting them out is a vote that could have been used on finding and seeking a knight

Honestly best opening strategy for knights might be one spam redirect the other spam apprentices once you find both Desann one person announce and also ask for every apprentice with Force Sense to defend while the other knight also defends just to make sure you could also sack the apprentices here for double covergae its just a bit more risky I think the main problem though is standard evil behavior of trying to get as many people dead as possible doesnt apply like they basically have the same goal as the Jedi just with a side of murder

Id actually lowball cultist numbers cause like theyre not important or really that relevant you know but I can get why overestimating is safer

Heres a poorly edited Sith quokka

Spoiler

SithQuokka.png.e9a11af8438483e335e6a7b563fdae08.png

“Plan? Ah hmmmm yes a plan, I had. Forgot it after drinking this ale, I did. Hrrrm.

“Ahhhh, one thing at Jedi Academy I learned, it is that known for being religious teetotalers, cultists are. Vote that everyone is mandated to take a drink of this delicious, delicious Mandalorian ale, I do. Anyone who refuses, a cultist we know they are, and fed to the Rancors they should be. As good a plan as any, this seems to me.

“I’ll start” *Moff plunges headfirst into a barrel of Mandalorian ale and is engulfed completely*

2 hours ago, DrakeMarshall said:

***Reads List***

Reveal hidden contents

1. JNV
2. Ashbringer
3. The Unknown Novel
4. Matrim's Dice
5. Devotary of Spontaneity
6. xinoehp512
7. DrakeMarshall
8. Haelbarde
9. The Wandering Wizard
10. The Bookwyrm
11. Fifth Scholar
12. Ventyl
13. Shining Silhouette
14. Szeth Pancakes
15. Madagascar
16. Channelknight Fadran
17. ookla the POKE VOTE
18. Alvron

Alvron hello! :) It feels like its been a while and it is a pleasure to see you

Also, I am voting for you

maybe i should just sheep this the whole game

seems rlly thought out tbh

im sick rn so hopefully i’ll be more active later

also jnv sith quokka is amazing you are now my first v!read :p.

1 hour ago, JNV said:

So standard ratios do not apply this game honestly the only consideration for balancing numbers how much padding the Jedi need to not get murdered immediately with also considering the more cultists around the better chance they get apprenticed and get protects and just defend their Sith masters forever and really the only reason why the Desann care about the cultists is every vote wasted getting them out is a vote that could have been used on finding and seeking a knight

Honestly best opening strategy for knights might be one spam redirect the other spam apprentices once you find both Desann one person announce and also ask for every apprentice with Force Sense to defend while the other knight also defends just to make sure you could also sack the apprentices here for double covergae its just a bit more risky I think the main problem though is standard evil behavior of trying to get as many people dead as possible doesnt apply like they basically have the same goal as the Jedi just with a side of murder

Id actually lowball cultist numbers cause like theyre not important or really that relevant you know but I can get why overestimating is safer

The main balancing factor is the ridiculously powerful vote manip both Sith have. With four cultists that's ten votes they can swing around if the Jedi/apprentices don't interfere, which can go up to 12 if one gets mind trick, 14 if two, etc. There's no village kill so protects aren't useful for that.

The Sith can still be placed in the apprentice doc, they just won't get powers. Only push and sense are theoretically provable, and the Sith could probably fake those for quite a while (protect is only provable if it blocks a kill, redirect requires coordination which is risky with no PMs), so apprenticing isn't going to be particularly helpful for finding Sith. Cultist apprentices meanwhile know that every apprentice is not a Jedi.

10 hours ago, Ookla the Tall said:

Edit: Zelda game was kill Zelda and Link to win automatically, kill one to win at parity. Elims won with a 24% starting ratio by killing Zelda and Link both, and it went nine cycles so I think it was balanced alright. So I’m sticking with four as my guess. Granted that game had Alv as Link who wiped almost the entire elim team off the map but hey this game has Alv too :P 

Let us not forget that I killed Zelda as well.  The elims did next to nothing. :P 
If you want me to pull another Link, you just need to ask. pKSxovjBfTFiaww-3c4-r37Oy565eYor0E3Q-_Zke1OKSxjB6DnmGOToBwkZ7DfPJUkiyfKgxDcmDH9jIRNiIvlS2D97NtxGDsZp-uo6Yml4FamVx9ca3PQsE3zbTtZGBupV2IUjzGHzRdlQpXXcmRqP-iDTMIIDm5rgiK4aABzzNq-Ggys7KChLGx_U

5 hours ago, DrakeMarshall said:

Alvron hello! :) It feels like its been a while and it is a pleasure to see you

Also, I am voting for you

Drake!!  Hello.  It has indeed been a while since we've seen each other.  I hope you are doing well.

You are?  Why ever would you do that?

Irritated Query: Ah, why did you not warn me that it was Ookla season Game Master. I might have delayed my arrival to avoid the hive of meatbags at their most chaotic. 

Exasperated Resignation: But I guess I am here now, and the sooner we find the crusty space mystic with less creative diversity the sooner I can get off planet.

Suspicious Contemplation: I'm not sure I trust anyone that actually likes Gizka, but it would seem to me that scrutiny should start on a self proclaimed "Jedi" dropout such as Moff (@Madagascar), for what are "Sith" but "Jedi" dropouts?   

12 hours ago, Fifth Scholar said:

A note that due to Thanksgiving and friends and family I will be less active today and tomorrow.

Hello all! Don’t think I’ve played with a few of you before, so this should be a fun first experience. My only point of advice would really be that I am going to treat any public speculation on Jedi identity divorced from shrek discussion and/or claims as an automatic eliminator tell. Even if you’re a villager doing it to misdirect, it really does not pay to be giving the Sith any help with that. 

@Haelbarde Query: What is the protocol to fix a communications spike?

Evaluation: It would depend on the form of communications spike. 

Explanation: When I was last in active operation, many of the less savoury meatbags of the time made consistent use of handheld data probes known as "Computer Spikes". This were loaded with communication protocols and other data payload that could bypass many common computer systems. Should one of these be in effect, a simple full system reboot should clear any residual protocols still in operation affect the system. 

Speculation: It would seem unlikely that a simple disabling of service after bypassing security protocols would be the extent of the sabotage given the simplicity of the solution. I would expect an experienced slicer might use their unauthorised privileged access to overload machinery or delete system essential data that would be hard to recover. Solutions to these rely on the relevant administrators keeping to appropriate redundancy protocols.

Resignation: I do not have high hopes on the levels of redundancy maintained by this planet's administration. After all they are meatbags who have not installed appropriate redundancy for their vital organs. 

To respond to your first point:

8 hours ago, ookla the POKE VOTE said:

hihihi rp coming later i’m still in the car :/

but uh let’s see

Turtle sighed, fiddling with his  comm. He could fix a Z-95 Headhunter with busted inertial dampeners, he should be able to fix a broken comm. He were a mechanic, for Force’s sake!

edit: in case anyone was debating claiming, don’t claim. don’t even claim vt, the jedi knights need cover.

Heated Exclamation: Always maintain operational security at all times. 

Chiding Explanation: Just because local communication devices have been rendered inoperative does not give license to continue sloppy security protocols in public places. Due to reliable inconsistence in actions of different members of the community, any claimed roles or lack thereof tend to be informative in the aggregate, highlighting individuals with better operational security who tend to be meatbags of interest if they do not normally maintain the same degree of operational security. 

6 hours ago, Ookla the Tall said:

I guess I should poke Hael. Though I can’t tell you why or there wouldn’t be a point to it :P

Indignant Retort: Please provide for review your droid maintenance credentials before any further interactions with my systems should you with to keep that hand.

15 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Tantyck nursed his drink. “This settlement is under attack,” he said, simply.

"It wasn't the gizkas, I swear!"

Dr. Dacken Humtumb limped off-kilter into The Drunk Side, dabbing the sweat from his brow with a handkerchief. He took a look around, nonplussed.

"What the Force happened here??"

He worked his way to the bar, taking in the situation. The corpse that had been there was cleared out by now, but there was still collateral damage. Regardless, Dacken was of the opinion these things were best contemplated on a full stomach.

"I'll take a pint of your best ale and whatever you got that's edible, for starters. And a pint for the little fellow, Moff, was it?" The small creature looked thirsty, and Dacken had an uncharacteristic impulse towards generosity.

"Now, where was I... Right, gizkas! I know they've been chewing through the wires from time to time, but this goes a lot further than that. Sabotage, if you'd believe it! I have proof! Took a gander at the 'port comms array, it's completely shot. Way, way more damage than any wild animal could do."

Dacken wore an almost entirely stainless lab coat with bulging pockets, but when asked, he was cagey about what he was actually a doctor of, and was perfectly happy to use the vagueness to make authoritative claims about any and all technical fields, when it suited his fancy.

"In summary, it is my opinion that the gizkas are a distraction being used by bad actors as a scapegoat. It's possible they were shipped here for this reason in the first place. If you can give me more time," he pleaded, "I'll have them out of your hair. There will be no need to resort to more... Violent methods."

forget about being an ookla season game master, I'm not sure if I can even handle being an ookla season player

I'm pretty sure I know who everyone is at this moment, but only pretty sure

3 hours ago, Alvron said:

Let us not forget that I killed Zelda as well.  The elims did next to nothing. :P 
If you want me to pull another Link, you just need to ask. pKSxovjBfTFiaww-3c4-r37Oy565eYor0E3Q-_Zke1OKSxjB6DnmGOToBwkZ7DfPJUkiyfKgxDcmDH9jIRNiIvlS2D97NtxGDsZp-uo6Yml4FamVx9ca3PQsE3zbTtZGBupV2IUjzGHzRdlQpXXcmRqP-iDTMIIDm5rgiK4aABzzNq-Ggys7KChLGx_U

This is outrageous and unfair, we did kill you eventually :P

3 hours ago, Alvron said:

You are?  Why ever would you do that?

To show my affection of course!

Also possibly to kill you idk

I won't pretend that I don't usually change my vote a few times on the first day, but the important thing I think is that "usually" is not "always" and thus the pressure of the vote is still approximately real.

On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your evilness today? wrong answers only

8 hours ago, Ookla the [Redacted] said:

Man… it really does hit you when you realize just how little of this language you actually speak.

I did make a pretty jargon-y little post there at the bottom of the first page didn't I :thonk:

Sorry about that.

Well, feel free to ask about literally anything! I am happy to answer and I'd wager I aint the only one.

Also I don't believe we've met but you are RPing so that's pretty cool

Faded writing on a flimsiplast sheet glued to the bulletin board of the Drunk Side:

More Clarifications:

• Apprentices will be pseudonymous: encouraged to stick to an identifier and colour but not required to identify themselves with a player or RP name.
  • Duel challenges will be refunded if they target a dead opponent; as duel challenges come last on OoA, they are refunded if, for instance, the player is exed or NKed or drops dead of inactivity is killed by wild tuk'ata
  • Jedi can both use Force powers if they choose not to recruit. The only limit on recruitment is that it takes an action slot, and only one of them can recruit at a time in a cycle. This is similar to how only one Reborn can use Force Drain at a time.

Sajhe studied the board and shook his head. Sometimes, some of his regulars scrawled messages that didn't make a lick of sense, and he'd figured he'd seen things that were pretty weird in his time.

I found a gizka in the stew the other day!

Sajhe, these damn gizka are getting everywhere! Someone needs to do something about the gizka menace!

Bet it tasted like gizka!

Current State of Votes:

Nodice (2): Seth, Kalabel
Smarts (1): Tantyck
Nees Bac (1): Humtumb
HK-47 (1): Smarts
Moff (1): HK-47

Edited to add:

2 hours ago, DrakeMarshall said:

forget about being an ookla season game master, I'm not sure if I can even handle being an ookla season player

I'm on Day Two of handling Ookla Season as a GM and as a player and I'm already getting drunk.

I'm accepting submissions to the bulletin board from players via your GM PM. These will be featured during the interim game announcements. I reserve the right to reject anything that I feel conveys too much in-game information.

Edited by Kasimir

why does the star wars universe not have paper that’s so dumb

like how could the entirety of a civilization collectively forget how to use paper and use dead dino instead

Edited by ookla the POKE VOTE
for some reason it wanted to include my last post in this post and i didn’t notice :/. just took out all the old stuff

2 minutes ago, ookla the POKE VOTE said:

also why does the star wars universe not have paper that’s so dumb

It does actually. Paper, flimsi(plast), durasheets. Paper's rare and some of the early sourcebooks say there isn't paper but let's be real, most of the EU novelists soon realised they needed a paper analogue, hence flimsis and durasheets. But that's really worldbuilding problems IMO.

Edited: Paper shows up in say, Republic Commando: Hard Contact, Dawn of the Jedi, Champions of the Force, and the Revenge of the Sith novelisation, flimsis appear in I wanna say RotS novelisation as well and also Jedi Trial from TCWMMP, and durasheets are basically exclusively Jedi Apprentice / Jedi Quest materials.

...It's fine, @Wyrmhero, you don't have to say it, I know I'm a nerd >>

Edited by Kasimir

7 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

It does actually. Paper, flimsi(plast), durasheets. Paper's rare and some of the early sourcebooks say there isn't paper but let's be real, most of the EU novelists soon realised they needed a paper analogue, hence flimsis and durasheets. But that's really worldbuilding problems IMO.

yeah but like,,, plastic? how recyclable are thin sheets of plastic, really? tbh it doesn’t sound incredibly sustainable and it would make more sense just to have flimsiplast be a core world/interplanetary standard thing and have individual systems have their own way of recording things that’s more renewable

edit: ok but i haven’t read like, half of those, and dawn of the jedi is waaay before any of this (they use swords) and i haven’t read jedi apprentice yet so i’m gonna go check out what durasheets even are

edit 2: ok kas if ur such a nerd can you tell me if there’s any way i can make Turtle have adhd and adhd meds or is adhd just not canon/eu?

Edited by ookla the POKE VOTE

9 minutes ago, ookla the POKE VOTE said:

yeah but like,,, plastic? how recyclable are thin sheets of plastic, really? tbh it doesn’t sound incredibly sustainable and it would make more sense just to have flimsiplast be a core world/interplanetary standard thing and have individual systems have their own way of recording things that’s more renewable

Canonically, durasheets and flimsiplasts are more reusable, because the writing fades over time and they can be reused, while you basically have to use pencil for paper. But I'll point out sustainability wasn't part of the worldbuilding at that point, since a lot of EU materials were written in the 90s at the very least, if not 2000s. Long story short, a lot of early Star Wars works just underestimate the impact of the Internet and how media affects our lives. You can see this in the way the HoloNet is mentioned very glancingly in a number of early works, and writers sort of just figured it'd be like a newspaper, or Web 1.0.

So the worldbuilding issue is more simply that it doesn't really appreciate what it'd mean to have PDAs everywhere, just as it failed to anticipate what the HoloNet would really do to public trust, institutions, and a socially constructed sense of truth. Informational overload, and all of that. In that sense, I think Shadowrun does a better job, even if it is really dystopian. You don't take notes by hand anymore, you take it on your datapad, just as you'd use your smartphone and laptop to take notes. The idea that analogue persists makes some sense, just as fountain pen enthusiasts stick around. But then you'd just expect flimsis and paper to be things a few people use in very narrow use-cases. 

But anyway I am not setting a very good example for a GM, take it to the GM PM if you're interested, I'm not derailing the thread further :P 

Edited by Kasimir

Lib moves from his seat towards the bar, his haillu moving into a more aggressive pose. 

"Give me a drink Sajhe, just the regular, not the paint stripper Iboek brought."

14 hours ago, JNV said:

"Now, what's this I hear about a Sith destroying key infrastructure in this fine locale?"

Hearing the conversation Lib turns around to face who had spoken.

"Comms are down, not good with the sith in town, but very good for a bounty hunter looking for their prize. A dude just came in yelling about it."

Lib tosses a holopuck on the table and a familiar face pops up.

"Does this look familiar to you Jev(JNV)."

6 hours ago, ookla the POKE VOTE said:

why does the star wars universe not have paper that’s so dumb

like how could the entirety of a civilization collectively forget how to use paper and use dead dino instead

Spoiler

fUVDBZC.png

28 minutes ago, Madagascar said:

Moff emerges from the vat of Mandalorian ale 7 hours later.

“Fun, that was. To try a death stick, does anybody want?”

"What's a death stick?"

Dr. Dacken Humtumb was morbidly curious about this, and also about how the creature was putting away more booze than it appeared to have body mass.