Era 1 (The Final Empire) and Era 2 Combined Maps

LadyLameness

16 hours ago, LadyLameness said:

Had to make this for Shardcast so wanted to throw it here for easy access.

15 hours ago, TheOneKEA said:

Apparently Harmony didn’t reshape the planet as much as I thought They did at the end of HoA.

Well, the primary changes were moving both the Northern Continent south from the North Pole, and the Southern continent moved north from the South Pole. But you may also notice that Luthadel was north of the Northern Roughs (near the border between Era 2 Hathsin and Channerell while Tathindwen was near what is still "Old Terris" in Era 2.

I do wonder how accurate this map is, given Issac does talk about how he sometimes purposely messes with scale to replicate the biases in a lot of old maps. Because I used the scale of the Basin and used it to the continents, and they are way thinner than you would expect, seems a bit too thin. Like, the distance from Elendel to the eastern end of the Southern Crescent is around 1650 Miles (2655.418 Km), around 61% the width of Brazil. 

The widest part of the Southern continent seems to be around 2200 Miles (3540.557 Km), which is still pretty small for a continent. 

Leaves me wondering about how trustworthy it in regards to scale. 

3 hours ago, Firesong said:

I do wonder how accurate this map is, given Issac does talk about how he sometimes purposely messes with scale to replicate the biases in a lot of old maps. Because I used the scale of the Basin and used it to the continents, and they are way thinner than you would expect, seems a bit too thin. Like, the distance from Elendel to the eastern end of the Southern Crescent is around 1650 Miles (2655.418 Km), around 61% the width of Brazil. 

The widest part of the Southern continent seems to be around 2200 Miles (3540.557 Km), which is still pretty small for a continent. 

Leaves me wondering about how trustworthy it in regards to scale. 

When I consider it, the South could be a Subcontinent, and they call it a Continent out of ignorance. That could explain the small size. 

5 hours ago, Firesong said:

When I consider it, the South could be a Subcontinent, and they call it a Continent out of ignorance. That could explain the small size. 

Possibly that the North and South are just one continent, but because of the narrow land bridge they mistake them as two separate continents. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sea of Yomend and Sea of Lennes are relatively shallow and is part of the continental shelf. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting to see that in E2 all these far-reaching regions even further than the Roughs have names, which seems a bit interesting because as far as we know no-one really lives out there, so the names are just for administrative purposes on a map. You don't really need a name for a place no-one goes to or travels to.

23 minutes ago, Blackhoof said:

Interesting to see that in E2 all these far-reaching regions even further than the Roughs have names, which seems a bit interesting because as far as we know no-one really lives out there, so the names are just for administrative purposes on a map. You don't really need a name for a place no-one goes to or travels to.

Interesting that we named all planets hundreds of years ago.

On 1/3/2023 at 7:05 AM, Oltux72 said:

Interesting that we named all planets hundreds of years ago.

Sure but we at least knew the planets existed before we named them. Not anything about what was *there*, but at least their existence.

It is indeed interesting IMO because before TLM I don't think we had any evidence that people from the Basin had gotten that far out. (Torinost, Hathsin, etc are Era 1 names so not ones the Southern Scadrians would have given.) They're probably not inhabited, sure, but it does show the Basin people at least have a general idea of the Geography that far north, which I would not have expected pre TLM.

On 11/18/2022 at 7:31 PM, TheOneKEA said:

Apparently Harmony didn’t reshape the planet as much as I thought They did at the end of HoA.

Yeah, I'm surprised you can still see the Ashmount scars. I would have thought Harmony completely reversed TLR's changes... it seems not.