Thoughts on Compounding metals (Alloy of Law spoilers)

None70

How about "Terminator"?

I mean seriously. The stories about TLR's healing ability were exaggerated, but not by much.

I don't think they were truly exaggerated. In Alloy of Law we see simple gold feruchemy is able to regenerate toes and fingers (or Wayne mentions as much), so imagine compounding that, times 10, or a hundred. I can see someone fully regenerating from their skeleton out, or even from the neck down, in the case of a beheading. The old body dies, and a new one regenerates out in it's place. If Hundredlives can survive bullets to the brain...

I don't think they were truly exaggerated. In Alloy of Law we see simple gold feruchemy is able to regenerate toes and fingers (or Wayne mentions as much), so imagine compounding that, times 10, or a hundred. I can see someone fully regenerating from their skeleton out, or even from the neck down, in the case of a beheading. The old body dies, and a new one regenerates out in it's place. If Hundredlives can survive bullets to the brain...

Brandon has said the beheading was an exaggeration, and that even TLR couldn't have survived a total beheading.

Brandon has said the beheading was an exaggeration, and that even TLR couldn't have survived a total beheading.

Oh. My apologies. But then, what's so different from a beheading to a bullet in the eye? Trying to find the power's limitations, anyways. All I can think of is that the metals are in the stomach, and that a beheading would separate the brain from it's power source... *shrug*

Another thing, at some point it is mentioned that if you don't "burn" away the metals in your stomach through allomancy, they can make you sick. Does this mean they waste away over time if not used quickly? (Stomach acid, I guess, not to mention the metals going through your system) And, if that is the case, what does this mean for compounders, as they have to at the very least touch a metal to store a feruchemical charge, then ingest it to burn it away. They must use multiple pieces of metal, studs I would assume, to store the excess of what they burn from compounding, which they then eat and possibly compound again.

Which makes me ask, is there a limit to the feruchemical charge that can be stored in a metal? Based on size or anything like that? Also, if I use a goldmind to store health, say, as a bracer in my arm, and I then ingest shavings of it, is part of the charge stored in the goldmind in the shavings? Which would imply an equal distribution of the charge across the mass of the metal...

Sorry, rambling. Any thoughts?

You can't exactly command yourself to burn more metals when your head is chopped off.

You can't exactly command yourself to burn more metals when your head is chopped off.

Whyever not? (There is of course the fact that you don(t have metals anymore, since a) those for burning are in your stomach B) most metalminds are affixed on body.) But if you have a full metalmind in your head, then why not tap it?

Whyever not? (There is of course the fact that you don(t have metals anymore, since a) those for burning are in your stomach B) most metalminds are affixed on body.) But if you have a full metalmind in your head, then why not tap it?

The fact that it's hard to make any commands when your head is chopped off is kind of a big deal :P

Oh. My apologies. But then, what's so different from a beheading to a bullet in the eye? Trying to find the power's limitations, anyways. All I can think of is that the metals are in the stomach, and that a beheading would separate the brain from it's power source... *shrug*

Another thing, at some point it is mentioned that if you don't "burn" away the metals in your stomach through allomancy, they can make you sick. Does this mean they waste away over time if not used quickly? (Stomach acid, I guess, not to mention the metals going through your system) And, if that is the case, what does this mean for compounders, as they have to at the very least touch a metal to store a feruchemical charge, then ingest it to burn it away. They must use multiple pieces of metal, studs I would assume, to store the excess of what they burn from compounding, which they then eat and possibly compound again.

Which makes me ask, is there a limit to the feruchemical charge that can be stored in a metal? Based on size or anything like that? Also, if I use a goldmind to store health, say, as a bracer in my arm, and I then ingest shavings of it, is part of the charge stored in the goldmind in the shavings? Which would imply an equal distribution of the charge across the mass of the metal...

Sorry, rambling. Any thoughts?

The stomach acid digesting (very slowly) the poisonous metals in Allomancy (the lead in Pewter, for instance, is one of a few very dangerous metals on the wheel) is very bad for you.

The process of compounding would go like such: We will use Miles for an example. This would take place just after he realized what compounding could do.

Store a small amount of Health in a metalmind and eat it.

Burn said metalmind and store the 10*small amount in a larger metalmind.

Burn the larger metalmind and store 100*small amount in a very large metalmind (or two smaller ones.)

Burn the next metalmind and store the x10 amount.

Rinse and repeat.

There is a limit to how much of an Attribute you can store in a piece of metal and it is based off of the volume/mass of the metalmind (which, being related to each other due to mathematics and physics, can be used interchangeably in this discussion. However, they cannot have children together.) The shaving part is, afaik, correct, including the even distribution of power throughout the metal. When you split a metalmind in two then each half has the same amount of the attribute in it. (Also applies to Hemalurgy: when you split a spike in two, the attribute in the spike is split evenly between the two spikes, though I do not know if they would "leak" power faster this way.)

Idea! Each metal has a certain "Attribute Density," which is defined as the amount of an attribute that is stored in a given volume of metal. There is a maximum Attribute Density for each metal, based on the Attribute you store in it. For an example: say Pewter has a maximum Attribute Density of "x" S/m^3 (Units are S for Strength, which is a measure of Strength storage, and m for meter.) The value of "x" is merely an arbitrary amount that denotes a certain amount of Strength. A cube of Pewter 1 m on each side could store up "x" amount of Strength and no more. Any attempt to store Strength in the block would fail and the Feruchemist would not get weaker (since the block is not be used to store.) If you split the cube into 8 .5 m cubes then each cube could store up to "x"/8 amount of Strength. If the block only had "x"/10 amount of Strength stored to begin with, then the split cubes would have x"/80 each. The value of "x" may be different for each metal because each metal's attribute is different, similar to the burning speeds of the Allomantic metals. Thus, you could store "more" Strength than Health in a similarly sized metalmind.

^ This. And you lose the physical connection to your Gold metalminds (assuming they aren't earrings) so you wouldn't be able to start regrowing your entire body rapidly enough. I suppose it could be possible to heal yourself as the axe passed through your head, resealing your neck when the metal has passed...that is gross. (The beheading also brings up a weird point: how do you tie up a full Feruchemist/Allomancer who can, presumably, kill millions of people by himself?)

Whyever not? (There is of course the fact that you don(t have metals anymore, since a) those for burning are in your stomach most metalminds are affixed on body.) But if you have a full metalmind in your head, then why not tap it?

If you have enough Health stored on your head to regenerate your entire body then you are very paranoid about decapitation (and not so worried about neck problems...that is a lot of gold to be resting on or in your head. Do you know how much mass gold has!?! I weep for your chiropractor.) Chaos might also be saying that you couldn't regenerate your entire body without being able to compound a rather large metalmind (or have a piece of gold the size of a small dog filled with Health touching your head.)

The fact that it's hard to make any commands when your head is chopped off is kind of a big deal

Eh, you could tap enough Health for your head to stay alive on its own, for a while. (Miles says that he really doesn't need to breathe or have his heart beat.)

Edited by Thor

I wonder though, if for instance someone were to try and decapitate you with a sword, could you heal the neck where the sword had made contact before the full severing had taken place, allowing you to survive?

Possibly? Does drawing power from a metalmind require a neural connection as opposed to only a physical connection to the metalmind? If tapping a metalmind only requires touch, then, yes, you could survive as long as the sword wasn't wider than your neck. It would look like a disgusting, bloody version of a zipper, but it would work (assuming you have enough Health.) If tapping a metalmind requires a neural connection then no: as soon as your spine is severed you couldn't tap any metalminds that were below the decapitation. I suppose you could survive it with a large metalmind on your head and use the "zipper" technique...

Possibly? Does drawing power from a metalmind require a neural connection as opposed to only a physical connection to the metalmind? If tapping a metalmind only requires touch, then, yes, you could survive as long as the sword wasn't wider than your neck. It would look like a disgusting, bloody version of a zipper, but it would work (assuming you have enough Health.) If tapping a metalmind requires a neural connection then no: as soon as your spine is severed you couldn't tap any metalminds that were below the decapitation. I suppose you could survive it with a large metalmind on your head and use the "zipper" technique...

The fact that Miles takes a shotgun blast to the head without problems (he shoots himself) seems to suggest that neuronal connection is not an issue. Also, there are some nerves that bypass the spine, i think.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder if Miles burned gold too often and one day switched personalities with his criminal self without realizing it.

This just inspired an aluminum-foil hat theory:

Miles was burning gold, and a Nicroburst touched him. We frequently ask what would happen if you burned duralumin and any metal other than the basic eight; what if duralumin (or in this case Nicrosil); what if Nicro'ed gold makes you actually switch with the alternate self?

Obviously we don't know if people know how to make or burn nicrosil...but that's why this is is an aluminum-foil hat theory. ;)

• 1 year later...

I just don't understand why he would have to eventually die from age. Was this explained somewhere? Considering that compounding would allow him to infinitely heal himself and aging is only the process off his body cells decaying he would never die from age.

Because what Health heals you back towards is determined entirely by your Cognitive aspect. So your conception of your own "normal" state of health, along with those of others, determines what you heal towards. It's not so much "pump up cellular regeneration"  as "put this body back the way it should be." This is why Miles can grow half his body back and Wayne can grow back fingers.

This idea of your body's normal state of health allows for the necessity of ageing, it seems, since aging is not contrary to these conceptions of health, per se.

I have a thread on it here, if you would like to peruse. I also have some deeper thoughts on the mechanics of why exactly Miles must age here.

Edited by Kurkistan

• Chaos locked this topic