JustQuestin2004

The Mystery of the Missing Lord Mistborn

11 posts in this topic

I can't find the exact page but in the Lost Metal, Kelsier said that only 3 of the original crew remained. I believe he was referring to himself, Marsh and Sazed. So I guess that would mean that Spook is actually dead and not simply in hiding in the background like Kelsier and Marsh.

But this leads to many questions.

Did he die from old age? He abdicated from the throne when he was over 100 years old, he had to have had some access to Atium Compounding. Maybe Marsh shared few beads with him. So old age being his cause of death is a lower possibility in my eyes. 

What did he do after he left? Did he Worldhop or work with Kelsier more closely?

Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

He abdicated from the throne when he was over 100 years old, he had to have had some access to Atium Compounding.

Not really. IIRC, there is a WoB that Mistborn do live a little longer due to their investment and he could have used cadmium to skip uneventful periods of time.

What did he do after he left? Did he Worldhop or work with Kelsier more closely?

Any thoughts?

Unclear. I am glad that he is no longer around, though, because the way Marsh was kept out of the action was extremely contrived and unconvincing, and with Spook it would have been even worse. 

5 minutes ago, Isilel said:

Not really. IIRC, there is a WoB that Mistborn do live a little longer due to their investment and he could have used cadmium to skip uneventful periods of time.

That makes sense, I didn't realize that Mistborn live longer but the lifetime access to decent amounts of Investiture would make this make sense.

5 minutes ago, Isilel said:

Unclear. I am glad that he is no longer around, though, because the way Marsh was kept out of the action was extremely contrived and unconvincing, and with Spook it would have been even worse. 

I thought that Marsh was kept out of direct action because if he got too close to Telsin because she might have been able to control him like Ruin could. So I didn't really have a problem with it. I thought his acting as Death scene with Bilmings Mayor was really cool.

Edited by JustQuestin2004

I thought that Marsh was kept out of direct action because if he got too close to Telsin because she might have been able to control him like Ruin could. 

She can only control those with trellium spikes and Harmony can strongly invest Marsh when he chooses, which ought to keep any other Shard influence away. Also, Ars Arcanum says that the weight of so many spikes necessitates long periods of recovery. So, Marsh could have helped part of the way, but then had to tap out towards the end. That would have made much more sense to me.

Honestly, at this point Sanderson keeping Marsh alive feels like a mistake to me. I was flabbergasted to find out that he was, when I first read the annotations to the first trilogy, ditto Kelsier. I now see why Kelsier is still around, but Marsh is apparently only there for unnecessary, largely impotent cameos...

Not to mention that Ruin is half of the very fabric of Scadrial and it's people, and hemalurgy is _his_ art. Reasonably, he should have been able to affect Scadrians with it much more strongly than any foreign Shard.

Edited by Isilel

4 minutes ago, Isilel said:

She can only control those with trellium spikes and Harmony can invest Marsh, which ought to keep any other Shard away. Also, Ars Arcanum says that the weight of so many spikes necessitates long periods of recovery. So, Marsh could have helped part of the way, but then had to tap out towards the end. That would have made much more sense to me.

The Set has hemalurgy. Therefore they can use people who have emotional allomancy and duraluminium. You cannot use a hemalurgic construct against them. You also have to explain why Harmony did not send TenSoon.

49 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

The Set has hemalurgy. Therefore they can use people who have emotional allomancy and duraluminium. You cannot use a hemalurgic construct against them. You also have to explain why Harmony did not send TenSoon.

Hemalurgic constructs could only be affected by emotional allomancy when Ruin allowed it, which he didn't, towards the end of HoA. Not to mention that Marsh just might have an A-copper spike. Or just worn an aluminium hat/helmet like Magneto?

And there is this - why is Marsh still around if he is so vulnerable and useless? Why didn't Sazed just make him back into a human and maybe Mistborn? Didn't Marsh deserve it, after all his suffering and heroic resistance?

Edited by Isilel

Well Demoux is still out there too, right? He was confirmed to be one of the three worldhoppers looking for Hoid in the first Stormlight book, which isn't far off from this, time-wise.

I was sad he wasn’t counting TenSoon :( 

17 hours ago, Isilel said:

She can only control those with trellium spikes and Harmony can strongly invest Marsh when he chooses, which ought to keep any other Shard influence away. Also, Ars Arcanum says that the weight of so many spikes necessitates long periods of recovery. So, Marsh could have helped part of the way, but then had to tap out towards the end. That would have made much more sense to me.

Honestly, at this point Sanderson keeping Marsh alive feels like a mistake to me. I was flabbergasted to find out that he was, when I first read the annotations to the first trilogy, ditto Kelsier. I now see why Kelsier is still around, but Marsh is apparently only there for unnecessary, largely impotent cameos...

Not to mention that Ruin is half of the very fabric of Scadrial and it's people, and hemalurgy is _his_ art. Reasonably, he should have been able to affect Scadrians with it much more strongly than any foreign Shard.

Marsh was extremely close to death in the book.

Despite him being heavily invested he was running out of Atium. As such he could only tap it slowly making it hard for him to maintain a strong and young body. 

I do not think he would have been of significantly more help than he was. 

Edited by Cerberus

7 hours ago, TheoreticalMagic said:

Well Demoux is still out there too, right? He was confirmed to be one of the three worldhoppers looking for Hoid in the first Stormlight book, which isn't far off from this, time-wise.

Demoux isn’t part of the original crew, he only really got involved after Kelsier’s death. 

Spook is out there. Trust.

Source: Blind Faith