Horneater theory's

Rockafella Vagabond

Seems likely that it's something to do with the war on Roshar. There IS a planet-wide war that just finished (?) there (or might be still ongoing), and the horneaters are at a spot that will become increasingly strategically valuable as the Rosharans become more cosmere-aware (a perpendicularity) so it seems very plausible that it becomes a site of conflict.

So I think the "safe" guess is "the destruction of their homeland due to a big battle centered around access to the perpendicularity".

I wouldn't be surprised if the real answer is a lot more interesting than that though.

Edited by ftl

I agree they are Horneaters. It could be they fled a  massive disaster that reshaped or wiped out some of the land. Like this way of kings death rattle:

A man stood on a cliffside and watched his homeland fall into dust. The waters surged beneath, so far beneath. And he heard a child crying. They were his own tears. 

—Collected on Tanatesev 1171, 30 seconds pre-death, by the Silent Gatherers. Subject was a cobbler of some renown.[25]

12 hours ago, Rockafella Vagabond said:

In MeLaan's epilogue she arrives in Silverlight and notices a bunch of people with red hair looking lost. This is most likely The Horneaters given their close proximity to a perpendicularity. What do we think happened to them for them to become seemingly refugees?

Given how Kelsier ... continued, I've always wondered what happens to people drowned in a perpendicularity. That seems to be what they do to people who break the rules.

I am going to guess that the group of hundreds of "lost" people with "strange outfits" and "odd red hair" MeLaan sees, will end up being the "group of Horneaters who live permanently in Shadesmar" that Shallan saw at Lasting Integrity in RoW, and which I suspect Rock will end up joining/leading in the yet-to-be-written novella Horneater.

Whether that destination was Silverlight or somewhere else in Shadesmar remains to be seen.

11 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Given how Kelsier ... continued, I've always wondered what happens to people drowned in a perpendicularity. That seems to be what they do to people who break the rules.

Well we have a WoB, do we not, that "Riino" at the lighthouse that Kaladin an co. meet in Shadesmar is in fact the "Hoed" Elantrian that Raoden immerses into the Shardpool in Elantris?

Khyrindor

The lighthouse guy was Ire? In Oathbringer?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Khyrindor

And he was the same Elantrian that they put in the Shardpool at the end of--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, he is the same person.

Khyrindor

And was he Ire before--

Brandon Sanderson

He was not before then.

Skyward Seattle signing (Nov. 10, 2018)

25 minutes ago, robardin said:

Well we have a WoB, do we not, that "Riino" at the lighthouse that Kaladin an co. meet in Shadesmar is in fact the "Hoed" Elantrian that Raoden immerses into the Shardpool in Elantris?

Yes, but the Elantrian Shardpool does not have a layer of water. The Horneater lakes do.

I thought 'Horneaters' too when the red hair got mentioned. Though if that's the case, I'm actually quite a bit more worried, because of the implications for what Stormlight 5 has in store. After all, if we're looking at Rosharan Shadesmar, then why is the water a transparent black void instead of a sea of beads

10 hours ago, Cocoa said:

I thought 'Horneaters' too when the red hair got mentioned. Though if that's the case, I'm actually quite a bit more worried, because of the implications for what Stormlight 5 has in store. After all, if we're looking at Rosharan Shadesmar, then why is the water a transparent black void instead of a sea of beads

Because we aren't. It is presumably full of Spren who are better equipped to help stranded Horneaters.

If they are Horneaters we may look at refugees who have reached another subastral. If you are a physical, living Horneater on the other side of the perpendicularity and it becomes impassable, you will need to evacuate. Your supply of food and water (either directly or for Stormlight to condense water) has gone away. You need to leave.
EDIT: If I have to speculate, I'd say this is Ashyn's astral, as that is close and Rosharans would hardly go to Damnation. An eternal fall is kind of a counterpoint to flying cities

Edited by Oltux72
wanted to add something about Ashyn

On 11/17/2022 at 2:59 AM, Oltux72 said:

Because we aren't. It is presumably full of Spren who are better equipped to help stranded Horneaters.

If they are Horneaters we may look at refugees who have reached another subastral. If you are a physical, living Horneater on the other side of the perpendicularity and it becomes impassable, you will need to evacuate. Your supply of food and water (either directly or for Stormlight to condense water) has gone away. You need to leave.
EDIT: If I have to speculate, I'd say this is Ashyn's astral, as that is close and Rosharans would hardly go to Damnation. An eternal fall is kind of a counterpoint to flying cities

I think it's silverlight if I was a refugee in the cognitive that's were I would go. They would have food and water there. 

17 minutes ago, bmcclure7 said:

I think it's silverlight if I was a refugee in the cognitive that's were I would go. They would have food and water there. 

• Silverlight is supposed to be in interstellar space
  • Where are the people of Silverlight?
  • Where is the infrastructure

And, I am afraid I have to ask the obvious question, how would you find it?

Just now, bmcclure7 said:

Confused Is the location supposed to be a secret?

No, but Shadesmar beyond a planet's subastral is a featureless plain of black rock. And there are no road signs. Your chances of hitting a city-sized target after walking for thousands of kilometers are essentially zero. Yes, there are caravans, but it does not look like you can just walk into a travel agency in Lasting Integrity and book a ticket. You hire guides.

3 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

No, but Shadesmar beyond a planet's subastral is a featureless plain of black rock. And there are no road signs. Your chances of hitting a city-sized target after walking for thousands of kilometers are essentially zero. Yes, there are caravans, but it does not look like you can just walk into a travel agency in Lasting Integrity and book a ticket. You hire guides.

It's only human city in the realm and it is always sending out researchers every where I'm sure it's famous why not just ask the spen where it is?

Edited by bmcclure7

11 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Interstellar space is virtually non-existent in the CR, and it's probably the largest populated area there I'd bet any native Cognitive entity could point you in the right direction. 

18 hours ago, bmcclure7 said:

It's only human city in the realm and it is always sending out researchers every where I'm sure it's famous why not just ask the spen where it is?

They aren't. The market in Oathbringer featured many extraplanetary goods. None of it from Silverlight. Lasting Integrity had extraplanetary traders. They came from Nalthis. Riino's food came from Scadrial.

7 hours ago, Frustration said:

Interstellar space is virtually non-existent in the CR, and it's probably the largest populated area there I'd bet any native Cognitive entity could point you in the right direction. 

• Even interplanetary space took Kelsier many days to walk and he had no elderly, children or wounded and did not need to carry food.
  • How would you talk to them? In which language?
  • Why would they wish to talk to you?
  • How could you trust them?

And then, obviously, why do you end up on a coast? MeLaan didn't meet them in interstellar space.

It could mean lots of things, but I think the horneaters are either refugees from the war on Roshar or a group of exiles. The way I see it, Rock is either exiled to Shadesmar or made king of the horneaters against his will. Either way, I bet he's in that group, which means we are going to get a Rock Melaan team up!