Where Is It?

TheOneKEA

Where is Harmony’s perpendicularity? I’m almost certain that the pool in Entrone’s ballroom was formed from unkeyed Investiture brought to Scadrial by Autonomy’s agents and that it had none of Harmony’s Investiture in it. So where is Their perpendicularity? Why have we never seen it directly in the texts?

Is it plausible that Harmony is deliberately trying to hold back the formation of Their perpendicularity because of Their mistaken belief that it will merely be used as a means of invading Scadrial via the Cognitive Realm? Or do They know that the Ruinous aspect of Theirself might be able to fully express itself via a perpendicularity and continue imbalancing the Vessel?

So many questions……..

29 minutes ago, Karger said:

It seems likely that one is in the southern continent(ettmental source).  If one is in the northern continent then the broadsheets indicate that it is in the outside the basin.

It seems that way, but how do we know it’s a real perpendicularity? I wonder if harmonium’s upinstability is in part caused by Harmony’s attempts to resist the formation of Their perpendicularity, and in so doing, the Investiture that does coalesce at the site of the perpendicularity is subsequently very unstable as a result.

1 hour ago, TheOneKEA said:

It seems that way, but how do we know it’s a real perpendicularity? I wonder if harmonium’s upinstability is in part caused by Harmony’s attempts to resist the formation of Their perpendicularity, and in so doing, the Investiture that does coalesce at the site of the perpendicularity is subsequently very unstable as a result.

Offworlders are here.  There is a perpendicularity.  Some perpendicularities are known to be unstable but if the newspaper we have is anything to go by this one is fine.

Edited by Karger

17 hours ago, Karger said:

Offworlders are here.  There is a perpendicularity.  Some perpendicularities are known to be unstable but if the newspaper we have is anything to go by this one is fine.

Not necessarily! One of the broadsheet stories includes a reference to a device that allows the user to enter the “ghostly realm”. That could be a Scadrian fabrial that allows the user to enter the Cognitive Realm without the use of a perpendicularity.

1 minute ago, TheOneKEA said:

Not necessarily! One of the broadsheet stories includes a reference to a device that allows the user to enter the “ghostly realm”. That could be a Scadrian fabrial that allows the user to enter the Cognitive Realm without the use of a perpendicularity.

How would they get back?  Its much easier to go to the CR then from it.

1 minute ago, Karger said:

How would they get back?  Its much easier to go to the CR then from it.

If the fabrial has enough Investiture left inside then it could be the way back. If it ran out of Investiture for the transition between realms, it might have the same Investiture siphon as the Allomantic grenades used by Marasi, and could therefore consume Kinetic Investiture from its user to recharge.

If the fabrial has enough Investiture left inside then it could be the way back. If it ran out of Investiture for the transition between realms, it might have the same Investiture siphon as the Allomantic grenades used by Marasi, and could therefore consume Kinetic Investiture from its user to recharge.

This bridges towards wider cosmere spoilers but getting from the CR takes far more work then getting back.  You need a perpendicularity to manage it.  Otherwise every shardworld would be subject to invasion by every other.  Remember how in TLM they needed to create a perpendicularity?  If a simple device was enough they would have no need to bother getting all that investiture together.

4 minutes ago, Karger said:

This bridges towards wider cosmere spoilers but getting from the CR takes far more work then getting back.  You need a perpendicularity to manage it.  Otherwise every shardworld would be subject to invasion by every other.  Remember how in TLM they needed to create a perpendicularity?  If a simple device was enough they would have no need to bother getting all that investiture together.

We still don’t know a lot about how Realmatic Transition works. Individuals might need a lot less Investiture to enter the Physical Realm than small, or large, groups of people. We’ve already seen one character return to the Physical Realm without any blatant evidence in-text that it required a perpendicularity’s worth of Investiture to do so.

We still don’t know a lot about how Realmatic Transition works. Individuals might need a lot less Investiture to enter the Physical Realm than small, or large, groups of people. We’ve already seen one character return to the Physical Realm without any blatant evidence in-text that it required a perpendicularity’s worth of Investiture to do so.

Its unclear what is going on with Kelseir but if you read the wider cosmere you will learn more about realmatic transition. 

Just now, Karger said:

Its unclear what is going on with Kelseir but if you read the wider cosmere you will learn more about realmatic transition. 

I have read the wider cosmere but not recently. But I do remember several examples of Realmatic Transition that don’t require a perpendicularity.

The existence of the purified Dor in the story pretty strongly implies that it is much less difficult now to get ahold of large stores of Investiture, which is a new wrinkle that unlocks a lot of opportunities to visit planets that don’t have perpendicularities of their own.

5 minutes ago, TheOneKEA said:

I have read the wider cosmere but not recently. But I do remember several examples of Realmatic Transition that don’t require a perpendicularity.

I'm fairly certain you'll find they are all one way(physical to cognitive) unless a perpendicularity is involved.

6 minutes ago, TheOneKEA said:

The existence of the purified Dor in the story pretty strongly implies that it is much less difficult now to get ahold of large stores of Investiture, which is a new wrinkle that unlocks a lot of opportunities to visit planets that don’t have perpendicularities of their own.

Purified Dor is extremely valuable and likely quite dangerous to acquire Cosmere spoiler

Spoiler

since it is basically a plasma that exists in Sel's CR.

.That is why it required Kelseir's direct authorization to use it.  You also probably need orders of magnitude more to actually make a perpendicularity of significant size.

On 11/17/2022 at 0:20 AM, HavingTheHasHoidAPurpose? said:

If I remember correctly(Just binged the audiobook) It is mentioned that Autonomy can't invade through harmony's portal because it is so far to the south.

Yes, Ch 50:

Spoiler

“Autonomy has access to … some very specialized troops,” TwinSoul said. “Hard to control. Dangerous to unleash. I know their destructive power personally. While I’m more frightened of that bomb, an invasion by Autonomy’s forces could also be catastrophic. Fortunately, the local perpendicularity—the portal to reach this world—is far to the south and carefully controlled.”

On 11/16/2022 at 3:29 PM, TheOneKEA said:

More likely an off world Fabrial, as we know Nicki tangles with Nazh in the New Seran Broadsheet (BoM) and Nazh had fabrials that interact with Cognitive Shadows when she "met" him.