TLM Chapter 19 (last pre-released one)

robardin

So … Wax is definitely “upgraded” in some way he doesn’t realize yet.

I guess he hasn’t even tried to burn steel yet since the lab accident?

Harmony sends him sixeen separate vials to use “instead of his normal ones”, and the last (sixteenth) one has a red X and is “only for emergency”?! (atium?)

What the heck is going on? The obvious conclusion is “he’s Mistborn now!”, but if so, why sixteen separate vials? Is he some weird Revolver Misting who can only use one power at a time, but can rotate through them or something?

3 minutes ago, robardin said:

but if so, why sixteen separate vials?

The number 16 certainly is suspicious. But apart from that, I consider it a possibility that 15 of them contain the16 basic metals (or fifteen? would aluminum cancel the others? Can't remember just now...) and the last one contains atium in addition.

Just saw that @Dl206 is of the same opinion:

2 minutes ago, Dl206 said:

Each vial has all the metals, (last one has atium) but the number 16 is more symbolic to us. Plus 16 viles is a good number if youre heading out on a massive battle against unknown foes. 

In addition, 16 might just be a red herring for us so that we're not entirely sure even now whether he's mistborn.

6 minutes ago, Dl206 said:

Another cool thing is that he may be a full feruchemist now, instead of a full mistborn. 

Cool yes, but why would he need metal flasks then instead of armbands?

Well if he is now a Mistborn by virtue of inhaling that blackish dust from the residue of the explosion - if that does represent a successful "splitting" of harmonium into lerasium and atium... Then where'd the atium go? Shouldn't there also have been atium dust around?

Though now that we have WoBs that the "atium" from TFE was actually an alloy of electrum and the godmetal atium (in order to restrict who could burn it), perhaps whatever is happening to Wax is the result of burning "pure" atium?

Or ...

13 minutes ago, Dl206 said:

Another cool thing is that he may be a full feruchemist now, instead of a full mistborn. 

This? But then why give him new vials of metal to use "instead of your normal ones" (which would of course be just steel)?

And, while the "What Happened To Wax?" question is the big bombshell, so are the other details we sort of suspected but just had outright confirmed:

Trell = Autonomy (further discussion about other Shards should prob be in the Cosmere-wide spoiler area)

A trellium earring was indeed what Harmony was getting at (with unknown consequences, if/when that happens)

Telsin = aiming for Avatar-hood (so what was that "Cycle" talking about, why would a relatively low-ranking Set operative have ambitions there, unless deployed on another planet?)

Edited by robardin

Yeah I guess full feruchemist doesn't connect with the vials. Whoops.  But he has something special. Unfortunately for him, whatever new thing that happened to him prolly also happened to members of the Set... A couple years ago. He's really getting himself in some trouble here. 

What a great last chapter before the release tomorrow! Brandon definitely planned it so we would be debating on autonomy / odium / etc the whole time leading up and then just dropped the very direct and clear answer in the chapter today. It felt like Brandon was speaking instead of Sazed lol 

“Harmony,” he said, “who is Trell?”

“Trell is the god Autonomy,” Harmony replied. “What we call a Shard of Adonalsium. Autonomy carries power like my own, a dangerous force for manipulating the very nature of reality and existence. Though Autonomy is held by a woman named Bavadin, her many different faces—or avatars—act with independence. Trell, a male god from the ancient records, can be considered one of these.”

Wax blinked.

“You were not expecting so straightforward an answer?” Harmony asked.

6 minutes ago, Dl206 said:

Yeah I guess full feruchemist doesn't connect with the vials. Whoops.  But he has something special. Unfortunately for him, whatever new thing that happened to him prolly also happened to members of the Set... A couple years ago. He's really getting himself in some trouble here. 

Not clear. It would seem that Set have been making trellium + harmonium "atomic bombs" since they discovered harmonium via the crashed Southern airship... 

Whether or not they've also inhaled the same dust, is unknown; given the delivery of Sixteen Mysterious Vials to Wax at that particular moment, it could have been an act of Harmony to engineer his particular explosion in a very particular way.

Wax is feeling the effects of Savantism

Well, obviously they're trying to get a bomb into the city, that part was a bit obvious. Good deduction to realise the existence of the bombs though

"like a coin balanced on edge… a gulf on either side" ... could be what Trell wants, unbalanced Harmony. A way to kill Harmony. 

Trell Invested Scadrial... interesting. Trell having a metal would've been a hint. Hmm... what do you mean Trell Invested Harmony... that shouldn't be possible... is Trell going to turn out to be an Avatar of Harmony?

Ah, Trell Autonomy confirmed. I certainly wasn't expecting to see that answer in a pre release.

Already don't like Autonomy.

So what, Telsin has something like a Nahel Bond with Trell?

Even with a Trellium spike, it counts as Hemalurgy so Harmony can see, so was it this shroud that hid Paalm before?

Is the last vial for Atium, I wonder... or perhaps Lerasium?

Just now, Honorless said:

Well, obviously they're trying to get a bomb into the city, that part was a bit obvious. Good deduction to realise the existence of the bombs though

"like a coin balanced on edge… a gulf on either side" ... could be what Trell wants, unbalanced Harmony. A way to kill Harmony. 

Trell Invested Scadrial... interesting. Trell having a metal would've been a hint. Hmm... what do you mean Trell Invested Harmony... that shouldn't be possible... is Trell going to turn out to be an Avatar of Harmony?

Ah, Trell Autonomy confirmed. I certainly wasn't expecting to see that answer in a pre release.

Already don't like Autonomy.

Even with a Trellium spike, it counts as Hemalurgy so Harmony can see, so was it this shroud that hid Paalm before?

Is the last vial for Atium, I wonder... or perhaps Lerasium?

Well, an "unbalanced Harmony" wouldn't "kill" but could "change the Intent" of Harmony. Possibly spiral Harmony back into two Shards? Though WoBs have suggested that is not easy to do at all.

Exactly what Trell wants out of all this is still a big mystery, as is Harmony's offhand comment that he has "lost games" to Autonomy "over and over". (Look to the Cosmere Spoiler sub-forum for more thoughts on that...!)

As for Wax realizing the "atomic bomb" technology was potentially available to the Set for years now, and looking for signs of their developing/testing such a thing...

I couldn't help put picture this old meme recouched:

Wax: Someone set us up the bomb!

Steris: Both earrings turn on!

SET: Ha ha ha ha.
SET: All your base are belong to us.
SET: You have no chance to survive make your time.

Harmony: Move 'WAX'. For great justice!

1 minute ago, Honorless said:

I wondered about this, but I think it is more related to the dust he inhaled after the explosion- I think he is mistborn or something like the others have mentioned on this thread. I get the feeling he has been using steel a lot less recently so it doesn’t make sense as to why he would suddenly start having new savant symptoms. Plus he already has some savant stuff happening with his protective bubble and stuff.

4 minutes ago, Honorless said:

I think it’s more like a part of the avatar process- which I’d guess is a merging of Telsin with Autonomy’s investiture, having access to autonomy’s power in lots of ways, but also losing control and “self” in that process as well. My guess anyways.

Wax seems to be something other than just a Twinborn.  Could he have a stronger connection to Sazed's power that allows him access to investiture without burning metals?  I wonder if he is thinking something in particular when he is able to see the blue lines?  The vials are super interesting and will be revealed in short order except for the last vile which to me is setup as a high reward high consequence power?  Maybe he uses the final vial and gets high power for awhile but then his allomancy is burned out of him and he can never access it again?  Pure atium Ruins your investiture? A little too on the nose?  As far as the first 15 vials I expect it to be an enhanced steel maybe by being alloyed with atium ?  I think it'd be cool if he gets to be an Iron misting so he can push and pull on metal + compound weight

Just now, Karger said:

I'm thinking Wax is just temporarily "blinded" by the sudden investiture release and is now having issues with his "vision."

So, I went back and re-read this description in a bit more detail...

First, Ch. 19 shows Wax three days after the explosion - it's not "later that evening...", and it seems a bit odd that a lifelong Coinshot would not have burned steel in that time, given that he appears to be used to (and enjoys) getting around town via Steelpushing rather than by foot or by carriage.

Here's the pertinent descriptions:

...he seemed to still be suffering the aftereffects of the explosion. His vision kept behaving oddly, distorting at times for just a second or two. And his mind kept playing tricks on him, making him think he glimpsed blue Allomantic lines without burning metals.

and then later, after some time spent reading newspaper headlines,

He sighed, rubbing his eyes—seeing those odd flashes of blue. Fortunately, the tea was beginning to work and his headache was at last retreating.

So the "flashes of blue", to him as a Coinshot, are the same as the blue Allomantic lines he sees when burning "metals".

Not just steel, you say? How can Wax know about burning other metals?! Is he already Mistbor --

No, no. He held and used the Bands of Mourning, he knows what it feels like to burn several different metals (and to tap a lot of different flavors of metalmind).

He would know the feeling of burning a metal that isn't steel - which we know from Vin's POV in Era 1 in discovering zinc as the complementary metal to brass, or Spook when he suddenly gained A-pewter, feels like a "reserve of power" located distinctly and separately from a more familiar one.

But, something like ingesting lerasium to become Mistborn isn't something that takes three days to "settle in" with occasional flashes, either, as we saw with Elend at the Well of Ascension.

So whatever is happening to Wax, is either the same thing but achieved differently... Or... Something that Harmony has done Just For Him (but not to make him Mistborn, which he could do instantly as with Spook, unless 350-ish years of being Harmony has made him unable to act so directly any longer).

so, harmony decided to tell wax clearly what he needs to know.... but he gives 16 metal vials of extra powers with no explanation for how those works?

i get that the story requires it, but it's a stretch. and it's the epitome of irresponsibility and shooting oneself in the foot.

telsin continued her shining career. she was a sequence, while the leaders of the set are series. and we were led to assume the series led by consensus. now she outranks them too.

i would have liked to see who the series were. if somebody as powerful and influencial as suit was only the third rank at best... well, it's like seeing someone using the pope as a driver and the president as a butler, and you wonder who they could possibly be to be so powerful

Wax seeing the allomantic lines without burning metals reminds me of Vin hearing the well of ascension without burning bronze.

If I remember correctly that was because the hemulargy made her extra strong seeker. So maybe Wax digested Lerasium (or Lerasium-steel alloy) made him a stronger coinshot so now he sees the lines without burning metals?

14 minutes ago, offer said:

Wax seeing the allomantic lines without burning metals reminds me of Vin hearing the well of ascension without burning bronze.

If I remember correctly that was because the hemulargy made her extra strong seeker. So maybe Wax digested Lerasium (or Lerasium-steel alloy) made him a stronger coinshot so now he sees the lines without burning metals?

Possible. I guess we haven’t explored what might happen if someone snorts the metals have we? Like usually it’s about eating and then burning…. Maybe there’s some interesting effects when you inhale the dust instead too haha maybe that’s why it’s taking days for the effect to set in?

Holy Preview Chapter Batman! I was not expecting to find out who Trell was this early. Glad to have confirmation it is who most thought and squish the Odium theory which I always hated. 

My first though on the blue lines was he is now a lurcher as well (or full Mistborn) and he is seeing the blue lines because he is unconsciously burning iron (which trace amounts are pretty prevalent in drinking water) kind of like how Vin was burning pewter before she knew she was a Mistborn. I think it's weird though that he wouldn't know he was burning another metal knowing what it is like to burn a metal unlike Vin. So unlikely. 

The "emergency" vile has to be Atium right? 

52 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

so, harmony decided to tell wax clearly what he needs to know.... but he gives 16 metal vials of extra powers with no explanation for how those works?

i get that the story requires it, but it's a stretch. and it's the epitome of irresponsibility and shooting oneself in the foot.

Agreed, very far fetched. Unless there is some advantage against Autonomy if Wayne does not know what he can do? Maybe it blocks future sight or something? 

7 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:

Agreed, very far fetched. Unless there is some advantage against Autonomy if Wayne does not know what he can do? Maybe it blocks future sight or something? 

Don't forget, Harmony's nature (Intent) has caused Sazed to "interfere" as little as possible, "like a coin balanced on edge", something he admits to Wax is frustrating even himself as a "failing that grows more dangerous in me" (a tendency to refrain from acting).

On an unrelated note, I wonder what Ranette's "most deadly design", a large, multi-piece and assembly-required WMA is, that Wax has left behind in a two-foot long gun bag that was "a weapon not for a lawman, but a soldier. Intent on destruction."

Like Chekhov's famous rule says, that gun is gonna get used in this here book.

Edited by robardin

Why does Autonomy offer to let Harmony invest someplace else? Is Scadrial itself useful in some way? Would she just be happy to have an Avatar there, or is it more? Since the planet was actually made by two shards, maybe it would generate a stronger Avatar or something along those lines. 

Or was Scadrial too close to Taldain physically/cognitively, so Autonomy depended that Harmony move to another sphere of influence? 

Edited by teknopathetic

15 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:

Why does Autonomy offer to let Harmony invest someplace else? Is Scadrial itself useful in some way? Would she just be happy to have an Avatar there, or is it more? Since the planet was actually made by two shards, maybe it would generate a stronger Avatar or something along those lines. 

Or was Scadrial too close to Taldain physically/cognitively, so Autonomy depended that Harmony move to another sphere of influence? 

My guess is, she’s threatened by the ability of the Metallic Arts both to Compound and to be used in technology as they have in the southern continent (you don’t even have to be Metalborn to make use of them!)

And either wanted to control the people of Scadrial, or erase them (no sentient life on the planet = no Metalborn = no threat!)

But Telsin as an Avatar is interesting because she has three hemalurgic spikes in her, unless she’s removed them; if one more spike would allow Harmony to control her, that’d be a pretty silly way to end TLM (“Nooo! I should never have picked a hemalurgist as an Avatar!”), considering that’s how Paalm ended up in SoS, eh?

52 minutes ago, robardin said:

My guess is, she’s threatened by the ability of the Metallic Arts both to Compound and to be used in technology as they have in the southern continent (you don’t even have to be Metalborn to make use of them!)

And either wanted to control the people of Scadrial, or erase them (no sentient life on the planet = no Metalborn = no threat!)

But Telsin as an Avatar is interesting because she has three hemalurgic spikes in her, unless she’s removed them; if one more spike would allow Harmony to control her, that’d be a pretty silly way to end TLM (“Nooo! I should never have picked a hemalurgist as an Avatar!”), considering that’s how Paalm ended up in SoS, eh?

Makes me wonder if Harmony is playing "awww shucks, I just don't know nuffin; why is Autonomy so smart and cleverer than me?" bit on purpose order to trick Autonomy into being far less cautious than she should be. 

Edited by teknopathetic

3 minutes ago, robardin said:

We saw the cycle that Marasi killed whho had 4 spikes and wasnt controlled. Probably they found a way to use Trellium spike to not get controlled by harmony.