What reduced Atiun production at the pits pre-Kelsier exploding them?

Storyspren

So I was relistening to OG Mistborn recently and I noticed that Elend tells Vin that Atium production is down after an incident a few years ago. In context this can only mean when Kelsier escaped the pits, because the pits hadn't even been destroyed yet in the book.

My question then becomes why did Kelsier's escape from the pits reduce Atium production?

What really happened there?

And is it on any way related to the "Survive" command?

1 hour ago, Storyspren said:

So I was relistening to OG Mistborn recently and I noticed that Elend tells Vin that Atium production is down after an incident a few years ago. In context this can only mean when Kelsier escaped the pits, because the pits hadn't even been destroyed yet in the book.

My question then becomes why did Kelsier's escape from the pits reduce Atium production?

And is it on any way related to the "Survive" command?

I think that was a cover story for the kandra diverting Atium from the economy to their secret horde. 

1 hour ago, Shallan Stormblessed said:

Didn't he burn atium there? That would break the atium. Right?

...Right?

As far as I know, the atium producing things* break around allomancy due to the presence of Preservation's power in allomancy. Since atium isn't powered by Preservation, it shouldn't interfere with the atium producing things*.

Note*, I have no idea what to call the fissures that produce atium. I don't remember exactly how all that worked since its been a while since I read Mistborn and I don't have my book on me, but I didn't think the geodes were themselves producing atium.

2 hours ago, Shallan Stormblessed said:

Didn't he burn atium there? That would break the atium. Right?

...Right?

33 minutes ago, HSuperLee said:

As far as I know, the atium producing things* break around allomancy due to the presence of Preservation's power in allomancy. Since atium isn't powered by Preservation, it shouldn't interfere with the atium producing things*.

Note*, I have no idea what to call the fissures that produce atium. I don't remember exactly how all that worked since its been a while since I read Mistborn and I don't have my book on me, but I didn't think the geodes were themselves producing atium.

Not all Allomancy breaks the crystals in an Atium geode. WoB:

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson

Also note that while Mare was an Allomancer, she wasn't what one would call a "dangerous" Allomancer. She was a Tineye, which isn't one of the top tier martial powers. She couldn't have used atium, and even if she HAD somehow found [tin], she'd simply have been able to hear and see better. Which would have made her better at finding the atium.

The Allomancers to keep out of the Pits would have been Lurchers or Coinshots (who could have destroyed the crystals), and to a lesser extent Thugs (who could be difficult to control.) Mistborn, of course, needed to be kept far, far away, lest they get their hands on atium.

4 hours ago, Storyspren said:

TFE Annotations to Ch 28:

Spoiler

The Venture-atium connection is something I wish I could have foreshadowed a little bit better. However, without Elend being a viewpoint until this chapter (the reasons for which I'll explain in a bit) there really wasn't much I could do to connect Venture and the Pits.

By the way, the "something a few years ago" that Elend mentions happening to disturb the atium production was Kelsier, the Survivor of Hathsin, Snapping and coming to an awakening of his powers–then bursting out of his hut and slaughtering every soldier or nobleman within ten miles of the Pits.

Though unstated, we can also infer that this included the other prisoners escaping. By the time operations resume, they probably couldn't keep a "one nugget per prisoner per week" quota until the number of prisoners grew and stabilized enough to return to that level of "production."

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

4 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Not all Allomancy breaks the crystals in an Atium geode. WoB:

Reveal hidden contents

Brandon Sanderson

Also note that while Mare was an Allomancer, she wasn't what one would call a "dangerous" Allomancer. She was a Tineye, which isn't one of the top tier martial powers. She couldn't have used atium, and even if she HAD somehow found [tin], she'd simply have been able to hear and see better. Which would have made her better at finding the atium.

The Allomancers to keep out of the Pits would have been Lurchers or Coinshots (who could have destroyed the crystals), and to a lesser extent Thugs (who could be difficult to control.) Mistborn, of course, needed to be kept far, far away, lest they get their hands on atium.

TFE Annotations to Ch 28:

Hide contents

The Venture-atium connection is something I wish I could have foreshadowed a little bit better. However, without Elend being a viewpoint until this chapter (the reasons for which I'll explain in a bit) there really wasn't much I could do to connect Venture and the Pits.

By the way, the "something a few years ago" that Elend mentions happening to disturb the atium production was Kelsier, the Survivor of Hathsin, Snapping and coming to an awakening of his powers–then bursting out of his hut and slaughtering every soldier or nobleman within ten miles of the Pits.

Though unstated, we can also infer that this included the other prisoners escaping. By the time operations resume, they probably couldn't keep a "one nugget per prisoner per week" quota until the number of prisoners grew and stabilized enough to return to that level of "production."

This makes sense, particularly with the guards being slain. Good point. I don't think Lord Venture would have any problem finding or manufacturing condemned prisoners but trusted guards could be tough. I am not 100% convinced that is the whole story there.

Please do not double post.

Spoiler

At the bottom left of the post you will see a "+" icon, a "Quote" link, and (your posts only) and Edit link. On the bottom right you will see an up arrow.

• The Up Arrow is how you thank people or "like" a post
  • The "Quote" link is exactly that, when you click it the quote will be added to the reply at the bottom of the thread wherever the cursor is
    • So, if you have already started to reply before you decide to quote you can then add the quote before or after your text depending on the cursor location when you click "Quote"
  • The + icon is multi-quote. As you read a thread, if you want to quote multiple items you click that for each post
    • As you click +, you should see a toaster pop-up on the bottom right of the browser window showing how many quotes you will have
    • They are added in the order you click the + icon, not in the original post order, so you can set the order of quotes for your reply
    • When you are ready to reply, click on the toaster pop-up and it will take you directly to the reply section and add the quotes automatically
  • Finally, you can also highlight a small section of a post and, when hovering over the highlit portion, click the "Quote" button that pops up.
  • Also note that you can move quotes after they have been added to your reply.
    • For example, you add a quote and realize there are no empty lines below it for you to type - so you can hit "enter" before the quote to make an empty line then when you hover over a quote you will see a 4-way arrow at the top-left that you can use to drag the quote up (or down)  and move the quote to before the empty line. . .
  • Use the Edit link to make changes to a completed post or add information to your post if it is the most recent (to avoid double posting)
    • Quote buttons will still send a quote to "Reply" if you have a post open for edit, but it is easy to cut/paste the quote to the Edit box
    • Editing allows you to add a reason for the edit (Spelling and grammar (SPAG), formatting, clarification, new information, etc.), but it is not required.

Hope that helps.

4 hours ago, Storyspren said:

That can't be right because the hoarding had been going on for many generations, not just a few years.

I think Quantus meant increasing the percentage going to the Trust. Example: If pre-disturbance 75% of Atium collected at the pits went to the trust, 15% went to TLR in Luthadel and 10% was released to the economy; then post-disturbance, they used the distraction to make it 80% to the Trust, 15% to TLR and now 5% to the economy. . .