G + E = R

ConfusedCow

So my theory is that Renarin is the son of Gavilar and Evi.  This is more plausible than it originally sounds.  We know Gavilar was horrible and oung ummm ... 'inattentive' in his relationship with Navani.  Gavilar is a man of arrogance and power.  He is a man who wants everything and takes it.  I feel sure that he had affairs.  Simultaneously we know that Evi was spending large chunks of time back in Kholinar without Dalinar.  We also know that Evi was somewhat repulsed by the Blackthorn.  It is not hard to imagine that Gavilar would be looking for an affair with someone young and beautiful, perhaps a bit naive and vulnerable.  All the better that Evi was supposed to be with Dalinar.  What better revenge for Dalinar and Navani's 'flirtations'? Evi on the other hand might be taken in by someone cultured and 'kind', someone offering her refuge and protection in the storm that is Alethi court. Evi seems like a very honest and honorable person in the books.  We all love her.  We see her from Dalinar's memory though.  People are rarely totally good.  Her drive to be a good wife, could as easily be guilt as a sense of duty or love.  

Renarin more like Gavilar than Dalinar.  He keeps secrets.  He's clever.  He's refined.  He acts with consideration in almost kingly way.  This twist would have some beautiful parrallels.  We rejoice in Navani and Dalinar together and then we feel betrayed by the fact that Evi and Gavliar got together.   We could see in Adolin's conflict with Renarin, the old conflict between Gavilar and Dalinar.  Could Adolin or Jasnah accept Renarin as king?  What would it do to Dalinar to learn that Evi had betrayed him? Would Dalinar still see humanity as worth saving?  Still textual evidence is pretty light.  Evi did spend a lot of time in Kholinar raising Renarin up.   She was eager to tell Dalinar, "you have two sons".  I will admit that I was listening to a Game of Thrones audiobook when this idea struck.  This is more GRRM. I would love it if anyone has evidence to support or disprove this theory.  

Per WoB this is not the case. 

Argent (paraphrased)

Are Renarin and Adolin Dalinar's legitimate children?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Good question! Yes, they are both legitimate. Though Renarin didn't get as much of the hair, which is probably what people are asking about.

Steelheart Chicago signing (Oct. 5, 2013)

On 11/10/2022 at 2:27 PM, StormingTexan said:

On 11/10/2022 at 2:27 PM, StormingTexan said:

To be fair legitimacy is more legal definition rather than a genetic one.  Depending on how Brandon wants to interpret it he could still be the legitimate son of Dalinar and not be his genetic son. 

On 11/13/2022 at 8:44 AM, bmcclure7 said:

To be fair legitimacy is more legal definition rather than a genetic one.  Depending on how Brandon wants to interpret it he could still be the legitimate son of Dalinar and not be his genetic son. 

It would have been better if the questioner asked if they were biologically his bit I think this is a little bit of semantics. I do not think Brandon was trying to trick us on this being that he mentions this hair.