How do conjoiner fabrials and the glove work?

Broseph

Question

Ok, so I'm trying to wrap my head around how fabrials, spesifically conjoiners work.

To look at spanreeds, I understand that each twist or notch ,probably  puts it in contact with a different metal, makes sense, but I'm not sure what metals those would be.

Now at first I figured it was Peter with a gravitation spren, but since most conjoiners are Ruby's with flame spren I assume this is not the case, so what metals cuase a conjoiner to flash, move and recive?

My second question is how kaladin "glove that flies" , I get that aluminum,can prevent a plane or vector from being transmitted,  but I'm not sure how that allows for translating one force vector into another, specifically "down" into wherever kaladin points"

Thirdly painrials what are they, I thought it was a tazer, but apparently it supresses pain and can have it polarity changed by steel and iron rather than zinc or brass, so can someone explain that?

Also I'm a second year physics student so dont hold back if the answer needs to get technical 

1 answer to this question

Conjoiners use rubies, no specific metals. Rubies, after being activated, would move parallel to each other, regardless of distance. Move one up, the other rises as well. Go north, the other follows, regardless of anything holding the other up, like there's an invisible pole between the two. Amethysts do the same, but opposite. Move one up, other goes down.
Metal cages are used to make the spren react - pewter on a flamespren ruby makes heat, iron on a smokefabrial(?) would gather smoke around itself.

Kaladin's glove works by using the ruby conjoiners on falling boulders, and the rubies would pull Kaladin to wherever "down" is. If Kal points down, he would fall down at the speed of the boulders, as the rubies think that's down. If he points up, the rubies think that's down instead and pull him up, etc. I don't think aluminum is involved.

Aluminum on the cage of a conjoiner prohibits movement on the applied vector, but it's not explained very well.

A painrail uses tin, which "diminishes nearby attributes." If tin is used on a painspren, it would diminish pain. If you use pewter, which expresses the attribute, you would feel more pain instead.

Here's the wiki, it explains more.