What does Breeze look like?

polygonfloppa

3 hours ago, polygonfloppa said:

I always imagined Breeze looking like Miles Edgeworth from Ace Attorney but I've seen people's drawings of him and he looks like he's more a short bartender lookin' guy.

I'm not sure if theres a a description in the books that I've missed, so what does he look like?

TFE Ch 4:

Spoiler

The soldier’s companion was a sharply dressed man in a nobleman’s suit—plum vest, gold buttons, black overcoat—complete with short-brimmed hat and dueling cane. He was older than the soldier, and was a bit portly. He removed his hat upon entering the room, revealing a head of well-styled black hair. The two men were chatting amiably as they walked, but they paused when they saw the empty room.

“Ah, this must be our twixt,” said the man in the suit. “Has Kelsier arrived yet, my dear?” He spoke with a simple familiarity, as if they were longtime friends. 

TFE Ch 24:

Spoiler

Breeze strolled over to the table and chose a seat with his characteristic decorum. The portly man raised his dueling cane, pointing it at Ham. “I see that my period of intellectual respite has come to an end.”

WoA Ch 11:

Spoiler

Vin continued to Push, flying along the road just a few feet above the ground, quickly catching up with Breeze. The portly man turned in shock, obviously stunned to find Vin hanging in the air beside his galloping horse, her clothing flapping in the wind of her passage.

WoA Ch 35:

Spoiler

“You don’t have to come,” Elend told the portly man as they assembled in the Venture courtyard.

“I don’t?” Breeze said. “Well then, I shall remain here. Enjoy the dinner!”

Elend paused, frowning.

HoA Ch 4:

Spoiler

Sazed looked up. Breeze sat beside a small table, sipping his wine and eating grapes. He wore one of his customary nobleman’s suits, complete with a dark jacket, a bright red vest, and a dueling cane—with which he liked to gesture as he spoke. He’d gained back most of the weight he’d lost during Luthadel’s siege and its aftermath, and could reasonably be described as “portly” once again.

SoS Ch 19 

Spoiler

He scanned the open foyer, with its murals of the Originators. Hammond, the Lord Mistborn, Lady Truth, Wax’s own ancestor Edgard Ladrian. Portly and self-satisfied, in his portrait he held a cup of wine. He’d always looked like the sort of person Wax would want to punch on sight. The type who was certainly guilty of something.

Edited by Treamayne

3 minutes ago, Treamayne said:

Isn't that Dox? He's the only one with facial hair (half-beard a.k.a. goatee)

Breeze has a mustache, but you're probably right that the chin-hair might be artistic deviation. But Dox is "Stocky" to Breeze's "Portly".

Edited by Quantus

40 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Breeze has a mustache, but you're probably right that the chin-hair might be artistic deviation. But Dox is "Stocky" to Breeze's "Portly".

From where do you get that? None of his descriptions include a mustache. In fact, the only mustaches mentioned in the trilogy are Felt, Lord Renoux, and the Smoker killed by Marsh in HoA ch 34.

Sources:

Spoiler

TFE Ch 8

Thin and aging, “Lord Renoux” wore a rich suit and a pair of aristocratic spectacles. A sparse, gray mustache colored his lip, and—despite his age—he didn’t carry a cane for support. He nodded respectfully to Kelsier, but maintained a dignified air. Immediately, Vin was struck by one obvious fact: This man knows what he is doing.

TFE Ch 13

Kelsier and Lord Renoux arrived together, chatting quietly. As always, Renoux wore a rich suit cut in the unfamiliar Western style. The aging man kept his gray mustache trimmed thin and neat, and he walked with a confident air. Even after spending an entire evening among the nobility, Vin was again struck by his aristocratic bearing.

TFE Ch 31

However, his convenient absence from the palace gave him a perfect excuse to check on another group of spies. And this time, Elend himself had sent them.

A sudden knock on the door made Jastes jump, and Elend closed his book, then opened the carriage door. Felt, one of the House Venture chief spies, climbed into the carriage, nodding his hawkish, mustached face respectfully to Elend, then Jastes.

“Well?” Jastes asked.

WoA Ch 42

“My lord!”

Elend turned as a short man with a drooping mustache approached. “Ah, Felt,” he said. “You have news?” The man was working on the poisoned-food problem—specifically how the city was being breached.

HoA Ch 34

He killed two more servants in the course of his exploration, and eventually moved up to the second floor.

He found the man he wanted sitting at a desk in a top-floor room. Balding, wearing a rich suit. He had a petite mustache set in a round face, and was slumped, eyes closed, a bottle of hard liquor empty at his feet. Marsh saw this with displeasure.

“I come all this way to get you,” Marsh said. “And when I finally find you, I discover that you have intoxicated yourself into a stupor?”

Edited by Treamayne
Add Sources

1 minute ago, Treamayne said:

From where do you get that? None of his descriptions include a mustache. In fact, the only mustaches mentioned in the trilogy are Felt, Lord Renoux, and the Smoker killed by Marsh in HoA ch 34.

I got it from the Coppermind, but it doesn't seem to have an original source for that description.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2022 at 10:12 AM, Ookla the Wandering said:

Kinda depends on what you'd call "Portly".  

I like this drawing, personally:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/p__/images/9/92/Breeze1.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20200723184148&path-prefix=protagonist

Yes, I have found that drawing is the most accurate portrayal of me, although I would never let my hair get as disheveled as that

On 11/9/2022 at 10:47 AM, Treamayne said:

Sources:

Reveal hidden contents

TFE Ch 8

TFE Ch 13

TFE Ch 31

WoA Ch 42

HoA Ch 34

It is the lack of mustaches in descriptions that proves that there must be more people with them. Do you reasonable believe that only 3 people in the entire series had mustaches? It is the scarcity that proves unreliability.

3 hours ago, Breeze said:

It is the lack of mustaches in descriptions that proves that there must be more people with them. Do you reasonable believe that only 3 people in the entire series had mustaches? It is the scarcity that proves unreliability.

I beleive that a major character would have had that in the description, just as Dox's half-beard was repeatedly mentioned. 

I also beleive that, at least for the first book, TLR discouraged facial hair (see below), so facial hair was less common overall, and significantly less common within Luthadel. Breeze Ladrian was a noble afterall, and even after TLR fell, most nobles maintained the lack of facial hair (since it was considered unfashionable). 

TFE Ch 22

Spoiler

“Indeed,” Sazed said. “However, it has long been imperial fashion to accent one’s wardrobe with metal. It began, I suspect, with the Lord Ruler’s desire to deny the Terrismen the right to touch metal. He himself began wearing metal rings and bracelets, and the nobility always follows him in fashion. Nowadays, the most wealthy often wear metal as a symbol of power and pride.”

“Sounds foolish,” Vin said.

“Fashion often is, Mistress,” Sazed said.

TFE Ch 24

Spoiler

“Why ask about my men?” Breeze said. “Have you finally grown so jealous of my impeccable fashion sense that you’ve decided to have me disposed of?”

WoA Ch 26

Spoiler

He seems less reserved than I remember, Elend thought. In the Lord Emperor’s day, a good nobleman had been stiff and inhibited when in public, though many had turned to extravagant indulgence when in private. They would dance and have quiet dinner conversation at the ball, for instance, but enjoy whores and drunkenness in the small hours of night.

“Why the beard, Father?” Elend asked. “Last I knew, those weren’t in fashion.”

“I set the fashion now, boy,” Straff said. 

So, we can see that Breeze always stayed "fashionable," what was fashionable was larglety set by TLR, and after TLR fell, it was notable that King Venture bucked the still-stagnant fashion when he deicded to grow a beard. 

All of that said, if you want breeze to have a mustache in your head-cannon; I have no problem with that.

It is simply not supported by the text (including the various Portraits of him in Era 2). 

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

1 hour ago, Treamayne said:

I beleive that a major character would have had that in the description, just as Dox's half-beard was repeatedly mentioned. 

I also beleive that, at least for the first book, TLR discouraged facial hair (see below), so facial hair was less common overall, and significantly less common within Luthadel. Breeze ladrian was a noble afterall, and even after TLR fell, most nobles maintained the lack of facial hair (since it was considered unfashionable). 

TFE Ch 22

Reveal hidden contents

“Indeed,” Sazed said. “However, it has long been imperial fashion to accent one’s wardrobe with metal. It began, I suspect, with the Lord Ruler’s desire to deny the Terrismen the right to touch metal. He himself began wearing metal rings and bracelets, and the nobility always follows him in fashion. Nowadays, the most wealthy often wear metal as a symbol of power and pride.”

“Sounds foolish,” Vin said.

“Fashion often is, Mistress,” Sazed said.

TFE Ch 24

Reveal hidden contents

“Why ask about my men?” Breeze said. “Have you finally grown so jealous of my impeccable fashion sense that you’ve decided to have me disposed of?”

WoA Ch 26

Reveal hidden contents

He seems less reserved than I remember, Elend thought. In the Lord Emperor’s day, a good nobleman had been stiff and inhibited when in public, though many had turned to extravagant indulgence when in private. They would dance and have quiet dinner conversation at the ball, for instance, but enjoy whores and drunkenness in the small hours of night.

“Why the beard, Father?” Elend asked. “Last I knew, those weren’t in fashion.”

“I set the fashion now, boy,” Straff said. 

So, we can see that Breeze always stayed "fashionable," what was fashionable was larglety set by TLR, and after TLR fell, it was notable that King Venture bucked the still-stagnant fashion when he deicded to grow a beard. 

All of that said, if you want breeze to have a mustache in your head-cannon; I have no problem with that.

It is simply not supported by the text (including the various Portraits of him in Era 2). 

My dear man, while all of your comments make sense, and I really don't want to take the time to argue with you, I leave you with one final point. Characters such as I, in books like these with, truly, descriptions lacking, I believe that the interpretation of the characters is mostly based on the minds of the readers, not that of the author. This is likely one of the reasons that Lord Sanderson does not often provide cannon depictions of characters. I personally would do the same, describing every character in every book seems like far too much work.