14 minutes ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

@Matrim's Dice. That can be removed in a game with fairer numbers, but in this game gives them a chance to win C4 at 2/1/1 and any time at 1/1.

That works for me. I also thought about making their wincon outnumber instead of kill-all, and if you and Araris and everyone else think that's better I'm happy to make that adjustment.

Probably should have asked that earlier but this is a BT so mid-game changes are fine? >> Didn't really cross my mind till about three minutes to end of signups.

5 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

That works for me. I also thought about making their wincon outnumber instead of kill-all, and if you and Araris and everyone else think that's better I'm happy to make that adjustment.

Not sure if you are doing a vote, but this sounds fine with me.

2 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Probably should have asked that earlier but this is a BT so mid-game changes are fine? >> Didn't really cross my mind till about three minutes to end of signups.

If they outnumber both other factions combined they auto-win anyway, so sure, but that won't be a concern this game.

The TDs are so incredibly disadvantaged that I'd be surprised if they managed to kill everyone. If they do manage it they deserve the win. In a game with more equitable numbers, they shouldn't win if they all die.

11 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

May thy sword chip and shatter!

I'd say the same, but we're dueling with Shardblades...

Silhouette, I like your enthusiasm. Have a protection point.

Naming my character Atarim.

Atarim stepped out into the dueling field, lensed through the faceplate of his dark green Plate. He began the process of summoning his Shardblade. After ten heartbeats, the intricate, six foot sword fell into his hand. The crossguard of the Blade fanned out like a pair of metallic wings spread in flight, and it's double-edged length was forged in a strange pattern that looked like cresting waves. 

Atarim prepared himself, falling into Vinestance in the case of a sudden attack.

Edited by The Bookwyrm

8 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

I'm not really in a state to be doing maths or simulations so if you and Araris think that's the best move, I'm down for it. It's 2AM, cut me some slack, my brain isn't working :P

Edited to add:

1 minute ago, The Bookwyrm said:

I had assumed they were regular training swords - using them on dummies seems like overkill, and how do we find that many Shardblades for an entire competition in Alethkar?

Edited by Kasimir

2 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

I had assumed they were regular training swords - using them on dummies seems like overkill, and how do we find that many Shardblades for an entire competition in Alethkar?

Hm....If this is the case, I may need to change my little RP section.

It's hard to translate a duel into an SE game...

Though, for the mechanics of the game itself, it doesn't really matter.

Ebony raised and lowered his arm, feeling the Shardplate respond. Still wasn't totally used to that, even after three months of training. Made him wonder why Sadeas's Slayers had selected him of all people to join their team. Well, whatever the reason, he certainly wasn't going to be complaining.

Are the Training Dummies diagetic? I figured RP-wise it would be a duel between fighters, not a competition to disembowel stuffed sacks.

7 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Hm....If this is the case, I may need to change my little RP section.

It's hard to translate a duel into an SE game...

Though, for the mechanics of the game itself, it doesn't really matter.

It definitely doesn't matter. Technically, by right, BTs are supposed to be RP-lite anyway so my attitude is that I am just writing whatever.

Question to everyone: technically, the TDs have a 50% chance of survival, but they still don't really want to be stabbed. It doesn't really matter for us unless we are marked.

How do you foresee this interacting with the survival vote?

Edited to add:

@xinoehp512, I'm gonna laugh if we are paired. May the best swordsman win!

Edited by Kasimir

4 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Question to everyone: technically, the TDs have a 50% chance of survival, but they still don't really want to be stabbed. It doesn't really matter for us unless we are marked.

Well, naturally if the person voted is V, they won't mark them. And they might choose to use their group immunity 1st round.

If the person voted is E, then likely they wouldn't use their group immunity since at least one of them is already immune.

Just now, Whysper said:

Well, naturally if the person voted is V, they won't mark them. And they might choose to use their group immunity 1st round.

If the person voted is E, then likely they wouldn't use their group immunity since at least one of them is already immune.

Okay, but how do you see them positioning themselves with regard to the voting? Do you think they'll try to mark players aggressively pushing for nominees in the hopes that other players might think they are TDs?

Do you think they're going to try to swing/nudge to a TD nomination? Since that means that's one TD they don't have to worry about currently.

Dunno, Whysper, that feels like a very off-the-cuff first level analysis to me, and I'm slightly curious that it's coming from you, although I admit we've never played together before.

17 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

"So, Lehaz," Keredin said, selecting one of the duelists he saw standing nearby, waiting to rush with the others. "They're giving us the chance to sue for immunity, aren't they? Tell me why I should back you for it. Or," he added, a beat later, "Why you think a swordsman like yourself might need one."

[OOC: Got speakers I have to listen to for a class. I'll see what I can do]

"Deserve this, I do not. Aladar's men, deserve my vote, they do." 

Hi cant be on long but like is there value in the vote when the dummies cant have marked duellists yet and the only people who could die is a dummy and also like isnt fewer people throwing around attacks better for us like more attackers means more dummies dead means the duellists have less targets and the dummies have less numbers so the only people who should really want and care about the vote are dummies who want to live and I mean I guess thats the justification for the others to use it counter the dummy protection movement but the vote isnt good for duellists as far as I can tell especially without self voting cause its not really a faction game is it its more of a free for all against a faction plus like the mark is forever the survival thing is one cycle ok got to go bye

4 minutes ago, JNV said:

like isnt fewer people throwing around attacks better for us like more attackers means more dummies dead means the duellists have less targets

Yes and no. This is a FFA v. Faction game. You individually win when you stab a TD. The TDs win as a group. There's probably a Tragedy of the Commons level problem here because it will be rough to be one of the remaining duelists trying to find and stab a TD. You personally want to stab a TD ASAP. You win doing this but you also know it makes life harder for the others left behind, but that's fine as you don't functionally share a wincon with them anyway.

I'd probably say the vote is still useful. Without it, we're stuck trying to read the leaves to find a TD. I can't see any TD reason to interact with this game at all. Sure, they want to place their kills and ID duelist pairs but how is that going to work C1? I don't even know who I am paired with, except it must be one of Sadeas's Slayers. If I don't even know my partner, how do the TDs work it out beyond marking me and waiting for the stab to happen? That's going to be a cumulative thing.

Honestly I am partly wondering if even expecting TD interaction with the vote is optimistic, but if we at least talk about it, we force them to interact with it too, for fear of sticking out, and then we can do analysis about that. The flip side of the coin is that maybe they might be the ones trying to secure protection. Who knows?

25 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

It definitely doesn't matter. Technically, by right, BTs are supposed to be RP-lite anyway so my attitude is that I am just writing whatever.

I mean, I certainly wouldn't mind getting the vote :P. I imagine the TD's will nudge the vote to a teammate if they can.

25 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Edited to add:

@xinoehp512, I'm gonna laugh if we are paired. May the best swordsman win!

Same.;) Ebony raises his sword in challenge!

21 minutes ago, Turtle said:
  Reveal hidden contents

A98418DC-3831-4F34-80B0-558DC42E160A.jpeg.62873c1ef92d2b388bfd6d481c27d6bb.jpeg

if we all kill the same person and its the person who’s protected do we break it?

edit: and we do that every cycle

I don't understand how that functionally works. I'll edit for justification later but if you are Village then your attacks don't kill anyway unless your target is a marked Villager or a TD who failed their 50% survival coinflip. 

I'm actually leaning a bit towards TD OP but trust Devo's simulations more than my own raw thoughts. 

Edited by Kasimir

4 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

I don't understand how that functionally works. I'll edit for justification later but if you are Village then your attacks don't kill anyway unless your target is a marked Villager or a TD who failed their 50% survival coinflip. 

I'm actually leaning a bit towards TD OP but trust Devo's simulations more than my own raw thoughts. 

darn. will think of other ways to break the game :p.

would it be broken if we played to make our faction win instead of an ffa?

tbh im uncertain of what i’m even supposed to be doing here, other than trying to kill a td

edit: also should we claim our faction or no

Edited by Turtle

Just now, Kasimir said:

I think Turtle is saying attack the vote protected person, so there would never be a kill during the night, thus breaking the game.

1 minute ago, Turtle said:

would it be broken if we played to make our faction win instead of an ffa?

Your faction can't win. 16 people isn't a number divisable by three. So it would be 6/6/4, I think. 

1 hour ago, Kasimir said:

A Dune reference? Wonderful. May thy sword chip and shatter!

Keredin strode out onto the sands of the arena, sword held out to his side. Fancier, that way, even if it wasn't one of the prescribed ready positions. For a moment, his eyes met Adolin's, and he winked.

He couldn't say that hadn't been a fun date. There was much about it that Keredin regretted, including the circumstances, but it had been fun, and they were both duelists, which meant there was something at the very least that they both shared.

Still, it had been a long journey to fight in the ranks of Highprince Aladar's men. He'd never really liked Sadeas. Aladar, at least, had a sense of style, and for all his duelists were considered the underdogs this year, Keredin had a good feeling about this bout.

He laughed quietly to himself.

"So, Lehaz," Keredin said, selecting one of the duelists he saw standing nearby, waiting to rush with the others. "They're giving us the chance to sue for immunity, aren't they? Tell me why I should back you for it. Or," he added, a beat later, "Why you think a swordsman like yourself might need one."

Edited to add:

Disagree. Think it leads to a clear reversal of the standard dynamic that is already playing out in thread for us to see.

Honestly, I'd normally be happy because I find it easier to make village reads, but I decided going into the game that I would still vote whoever I found most suspicious for fun.

1 hour ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Silhouette, I like your enthusiasm. Have a protection point.

Naming my character Atarim.

Atarim stepped out into the dueling field, lensed through the faceplate of his dark green Plate. He began the process of summoning his Shardblade. After ten heartbeats, the intricate, six foot sword fell into his hand. The crossguard of the Blade fanned out like a pair of metallic wings spread in flight, and it's double-edged length was forged in a strange pattern that looked like cresting waves. 

Atarim prepared himself, falling into Vinestance in the case of a sudden attack.

Bring out Nightblood then I guess.

1 minute ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

I think Turtle is saying attack the vote protected person, so there would never be a kill during the night, thus breaking the game.

Your faction can't win. 16 people isn't a number divisable by three. So it would be 6/6/4, I think. 

no i mean play to get the most SSs/AAs winning, instead of playing to make you win regardless of your faction