4 minutes ago, Shining Silhouette said:

Just realized I won’t be able to be much on for C1 (Dragonsteel!) but I’ll be sure to pop on whenever I can.

I’m looking forward to an absolutely insane game! I think this will be lots of fun :D

Have fun, I promise not to angery quokka stab you until you're back with us :ph34r:

18 minutes ago, The Unknown Novel said:

I promise to happy Quokka stab you when you aren't looking. 

(^''^)

Sounds like we should be Evil together sometime. You can happy quokka stab, I'll angry quokka vote.

I'm not responsible for anything I say right now, it's a chill weekend evening and I've had one (1) drink.

Edited by Kasimir

2 hours ago, Kasimir said:

I can't into FFAs :P I live for solving,

There's some solving. TDs have to figure out which players are most likely to be attacked and then guess randomly who the partner of dead duelists are since it's much more efficient to kill duelists in pairs. Duelists figure out who the TDs are by seeing who votes where for immunity and then trying to kill people to see what happens.

22 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

There's some solving. TDs have to figure out which players are most likely to be attacked and then guess randomly who the partner of dead duelists are since it's much more efficient to kill duelists in pairs. Duelists figure out who the TDs are by seeing who votes where for immunity and then trying to kill people to see what happens.

I don't disagree but TDs are Elims or sufficiently Elim-like so that alters the nature of the solving you are doing. If I found that as compelling as Village problem-solving, I'd not have asymmetric problems with my Elim play in the first place. 

Theoretically yes for the Duelists but again, it's Elim-like, similar to IDing the power role. It's helped by the fact I should try informed stabbing but really can't go wrong at least trying. 

Not saying this makes it a bad game but it does make it less of a fit for my typical interests which is why I'm considering either dropping out or taking this seriously as a chill game because that barrier is there and chilling and having fun isn't bad. Instead of going high octane. 

Edited by Kasimir

Actually in as Zlaya Cherepaha, a thaylen merchant :P

(cannot decide if it should be Cherepaha or Cherepaxa someone tell me which works best)

edit: actually there’s also cherepakha to be considered…

hmmmm

Edited by Turtle

3 hours ago, Shining Silhouette said:

Just realized I won’t be able to be much on for C1 (Dragonsteel!) but I’ll be sure to pop on whenever I can.

I’m looking forward to an absolutely insane game! I think this will be lots of fun :D

I made a code a Cryptic would be proud of. :D

7 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Just under 24 hours left in signups! The player count, ratio wise, I have right now is maybe the most inconvenient so invite your friends, call others to come play :P 

Don't drop out though :P.

Would 14 be better? :eyes:

Alternatively, what's the number you're aiming for? In terms of 'minimum that would make this easier for distro.'

4 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Would 14 be better? :eyes:

Alternatively, what's the number you're aiming for? In terms of 'minimum that would make this easier for distro.'

Technically yes, I think. But don't drop out :P.

I think that there have to be fewer TDs than any other faction, mathematically (checking with my IM on this) so having a number divisible by three, like 15, isn't ideal since the two options are 6-6-3 and 5-5-5 with the latter not really being an option and the former being in no one's favor. A player count that is [(Number divisible by three) - 1] would be the best.

So I mean... if it's confirmed that 6-6-3 is the only option, and you're on the fence about playing, then I guess you could drop out. But I like more players all the time. I'd much rather get two more than lose one.

3 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

I think that there have to be fewer TDs than any other faction, mathematically (checking with my IM on this) so having a number divisible by three, like 15, isn't ideal since the two options are 6-6-3 and 5-5-5 with the latter not really being an option

5-5-5 should be fine so long as the TDs lose if they all die even if all duelists are also dead. It's just very swingy, with the TDs needing to kill one pair to win which could mean 2 dead duelists in two cycles or up to six, which takes six cycles minimum and requires them to survive 45 attacks with no casualties.

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

um fair warning one of the rollovers is literally in the middle of the night for me if i did my math right

That's fine, and expected :P Try to get at least a post in every turn and that'll be great. There's no filter or pinch-hitters.

An hour and five minutes till signups close! The game should start ASAP after that.

Cycle One: Let the Games Begin

"It looks like our duelists are lined up on the sides of the arena, ready to go! They look fantastic, if I do say so myself. Even Sadeas' crew. Shardplate is a fashion of its own...

"I, of course, still prefer this fancy and well-tailored coat, made special order for me. The cuffs really are remarkable! It's nice and warm, as well. Aaaand my father is glaring at me again, which means I should probably signal FOR THE GAMES TO BEGIN!"

*crowd roaring*

*feet stomping*

*duelists rushing inward*

"This seems like a good time to thank today's sponsor: Axehound Body Spray. Are your pits stinky? Does your odor make heads swoon, but not in the good way? Try Axehound."

Cycle One has begun! It will end in about 12 hours, on Tuesday, November 15th at 9pm PST. Though I think that might be various times of Wednesday for most other people.

For a refresher, here's the rules doc.

• There will be a majority vote today, with no vote minimum. The winner of this vote will receive immunity from being killed during this cycle. This does not save from being removed if your opponent wins. Self-votes will not be counted. A tied vote results in no one receiving immunity.
  • Don't forget to submit an action! The cycle moves quick.
  • There is no inactivity filter in play, but do your best to post every turn.
  • PMs are closed.
  • For further questions, refer to the aforementioned rules doc or contact me or Araris in your GM PM.

Player List:

So 6/6/4 is basically impossible for the training dummies to win but we'll see I guess. Six cycles is the bare minimum for them to win. Their best chance is to lose three players today while killing one of the duelists who wouldn't have already died, making it 3/2/1, then kill the pair of the C1 victim 2/2/1, then survive at least four more cycles in a string of miracles to win without reaching 1/1, which is an auto-loss.

Trying to keep all their players alive merely ramps up the difficulty, increasing the number all duelists they have to kill from six to a maximum of nine while increasing the odds of wasted kills where the partner of a killed duelist kills a training dummy, rendering the initial kill pointless. At the very least, they should be able to win even if they all die at the same time all duelists die @Matrim's Dice. That can be removed in a game with fairer numbers, but in this game gives them a chance to win C4 at 2/1/1 and any time at 1/1.

We're already doing much better than last year's loss to Sadeas' Slayers in the first round. We've made it all the way to the finals, and this time we're going to win. Half the team wants revenge on the Slayers for killing my brother, and I haven't tried too hard to discourage that notion. If they feel the need for vengeance, best to direct those feelings to an outside source. Plus, it's great motivation for winning the competition. 1/6th of the prize money will go a long way towards fixing our financial problems after my brother's engagement "fell through". Wait, why are their four too many people in the arena? Are the Slayers trying to cheat again?

It looks like The Unknown Novel was the first to die in the previous game. I think I like this save mechanic. It has the potential to keep people from being overly targeted. 

45 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Self-votes will not be counted

This is a good clarification. Thank you. I forgot to ask about this.

32 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

Let the duel begin!

Reveal hidden contents

dune-salute.gif.3306b7e7723599cca5864b56900f4f82.gif

A Dune reference? Wonderful. May thy sword chip and shatter!

Keredin strode out onto the sands of the arena, sword held out to his side. Fancier, that way, even if it wasn't one of the prescribed ready positions. For a moment, his eyes met Adolin's, and he winked.

He couldn't say that hadn't been a fun date. There was much about it that Keredin regretted, including the circumstances, but it had been fun, and they were both duelists, which meant there was something at the very least that they both shared.

Still, it had been a long journey to fight in the ranks of Highprince Aladar's men. He'd never really liked Sadeas. Aladar, at least, had a sense of style, and for all his duelists were considered the underdogs this year, Keredin had a good feeling about this bout.

He laughed quietly to himself.

"So, Lehaz," Keredin said, selecting one of the duelists he saw standing nearby, waiting to rush with the others. "They're giving us the chance to sue for immunity, aren't they? Tell me why I should back you for it. Or," he added, a beat later, "Why you think a swordsman like yourself might need one."

Edited to add:

2 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

It looks like The Unknown Novel was the first to die in the previous game. I think I like this save mechanic. It has the potential to keep people from being overly targeted. 

Disagree. Think it leads to a clear reversal of the standard dynamic that is already playing out in thread for us to see.

Edited by Kasimir