*sound-augmentation fabrial crackling noises*

"...Is this thing on?"

*more sound-augmentation fabrial crackling noises*

"Perfect! Welcome everyone to this year's Annual Dueling Competition!"

*cheering*

"I'm Adolin Kholin, your host, as my father isn't letting me duel this year. For some reason. And without me, the Kholin team never had a chance! But I have a note here that says I'm not supposed to mention anything about that..." *trails off*

"But I'm more than happy to lend my melodious voice to narrate this endeavor! Allow me to introduce the teams: On one side of the arena, warming up as we speak, are the defending champions, Sadeas' Slayers! Those slimeballs-- er, swordsmen, play rough-- er, hard, and never let a round escape them without cheati-- er, giving up." *muffled:* "You can stop glaring at me, Father."

"Aaaaaand in the other corner, the upstart underdogs, Aladar's Attackers! As the unbiased host I'm not allowed to pick favorites, but it'd suuuure be a welcome surprise to see the little guy win, I'm sure we can agree on that! Let's give up for these teams!"

*cheering*

"Without any further ado: Let the games begin!"

Welcome to Break Tank 3: Dueling at the Warcamps! I'll be the GM for this game, and @Araris Valerian will be the IM. Signups are open from now until Tuesday, November 15th, at 9am PST. Rollovers for the game will be every twelve hours, at 9am and 9pm PST.

The rules can be found below, but are also in this doc.

Basics:

Spoiler
  • Cycles will be 12 hours in length, with rollover occurring at 9am and 9pm PST.
  • During each cycle there will be a vote, with special mechanics dictated further in the rules.
  • Each faction will have as close to equal numbers as possible, though there will be slightly fewer Training Dummies.
  • PMs are closed.
  • There is no inactivity filter, but as always, activity is appreciated and encouraged. Due to the nature of the cycle length it is more than understandable if not everyone posts every cycle.
  • Per standard BT rules, no pinch-hitters will be accepted.

Factions:

Spoiler
  • Sadeas’ Slayers:
    • Each member of Sadeas’ Slayers is randomly paired against a member of Aladar’s Attackers. They are not told who. This other player is known as their opponent.
    • A member of Sadeas’ Slayers wins if they kill a Training Dummy before their opponent does. In the event of either player killing a Training Dummy, both players are removed from the game.
    • Functions as a pseudo-village faction, however, each faction member can win or lose independent of another.
  • Aladar's Attackers:
    • Each member of Aladar’s Attackers is randomly paired against a member of Sadeas’ Slayers. They are not told who. This other player is known as their opponent.
    • A member of Aladar’s Attackers wins if they kill a Training Dummy before their opponent does. In the event of either player killing a Training Dummy, both players are removed from the game.
    • Functions as a pseudo-village faction, however, each faction member can win or lose independent of another.
  • Training Dummies:
    • Shares a group doc, and knows each other’s identities.
    • The Training Dummies win if the only surviving players are also Training Dummies.
    • Each cycle, the Training Dummies may mark any player for the remainder of the game.
    • Once per game, all Training Dummies can become immune to all incoming attacks. This action only occurs if all alive Training Dummies submit an action to do so.
    • Training Dummies have a 50% chance of surviving an attack.
    • Functions as a pseudo-eliminator faction.

Voting Mechanics:

Spoiler
  • Each cycle, there will be a majority vote in-thread. 
  • The player with the most votes will become unable to die from any source during that turn. 
  • A tied vote will result in no one receiving immunity.

Attacking Mechanics:

Spoiler
  • Each cycle, a member of Sadeas’ Slayers or Aladar’s Attackers may attack another player. 
  • If an attack targets a Training Dummy and hits it, the Training Dummy, the attacker, and the attacker’s opponent are removed from the game.
  • If an attack targets a member of Sadeas’ Slayers or Aladar’s Attackers, the attack fails unless the attacked player has been marked by the Training Dummies. If they have been marked, they die and are removed from the game. Their opponent is left alive, and still must kill a Training Dummy to win.

Order of Actions:

Spoiler
  1. Vote & granting of immunity
  2. Training Dummy actions (marking/immunity)
  3. Kills

Participants:

Spoiler

Players:

Spectators:

Quicklinks:

Edited by Devotary of Spontaneity

7 minutes ago, Shining Silhouette said:

edit: faction game hmmmm

1. Don't hmm a faction game, faction games are awesome :P
  2. Kas is correct in that the two 'village' factions aren't really factions, but individuals under a unified name. So instead of two factions, each player is their own faction! :D. Even better! :D. Training Dummies are the only true faction in the game, really. This is like my MR currently under working in that it makes a lot more sense to me than anyone else, but we'll see :P.

Also-- It's not in the rules anywhere, but in the Aftermath I'll call whichever team (AA, SS) got more winners as the 'winner' of the competition, though that won't be official as much as flavor.

25 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Mat's on a GM kick I see :ph34r:

I always end up running games back-to-back, idk :P Guess that's what happens when you sign up for all your slots at once. I don't mind; I like GMing.

10 minutes ago, dannnnnnex said:

i’ll join 

this is quite the break tank you’ve drafted up here sir

is it even SE anymore

feels like this is just a different game altogether lol

:D. :D. :D.

What the heck. I don't need to be productive next Wednesday through Saturday. I'd like to sign up as Laelk, a nervous young man who only practiced swordplay because he was sure the chasmfiend in his closet was going to get him. He has no real talent for the sword, but it makes him feel better anyway. If he wins this tournament it will be entirely by luck.

Some questions:

1. For the Saving vote each cycle, will the votes be red to nominate and green to retract as usual?

2. Do the training dummies mark a person each, or is it a group mark for death?

3. If I hit a training dummy and they survive, I don't win as I have failed to kill the dummy. Will I be notified that I hit a dummy and failed?

3.a. Will we be notified of anything other than that we win, lose, or fail?

4. What happens if two players kill the same dummy?

5. What happens if two opponents kill different dummies on the same cycle?

5.a What happens if two opponents kill the same dummy on the same cycle?

6. Will alignments be revealed in the writeup upon death and/or removal?

7. Is die synonymous with lose in the quote below?

23 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

The player with the most votes will become unable to die from any source during that turn. 

Sorry that was more than I thought it would be. I may have more questions based on the answers.

This looks like a great game with potential to be a hot mess. Thank you for running it. I'm excited to get started.

Edit:

@Matrim's Dice, here is a better question 7.

7. Is die synonymous with be removed from the game?

7.a. Does that prevent winning and losing?

Edited by Elkanah
Prevent Double Posting

42 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

1. For the Saving vote each cycle, will the votes be red to nominate and green to retract as usual?

Yes. Anything else would be too confusing, I think :P

42 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

2. Do the training dummies mark a person each, or is it a group mark for death?

Group mark, similar to the elim kill. One mark per cycle, anyone can submit it.

43 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

3. If I hit a training dummy and they survive, I don't win as I have failed to kill the dummy. Will I be notified that I hit a dummy and failed?

You'll be notified if the person you attacked died or not, but you won't be notified what they are.

44 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

3.a. Will we be notified of anything other than that we win, lose, or fail?

Nope. For an AA or SS, after attacking, you'll either get a 'you win!' with a dead doc, a 'you lose!' with a dead doc, or a 'the person you attacked didn't die!'.

45 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

4. What happens if two players kill the same dummy?

Coin flip for who got there first.

46 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

5. What happens if two opponents kill different dummies on the same cycle?

That's a... good question xD I think all four go to the dead doc, and I'd give both opponents a win? Or I coin flip and the dummy belonging to the loser survives and the other three go to the doc. @Committee people helllllllp

49 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

5.a What happens if two opponents kill the same dummy on the same cycle?

Same as 4, coin flip for who wins. But either way all three go to the dead doc.

50 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

6. Will alignments be revealed in the writeup upon death and/or removal?

Yes.

50 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

7. Is die synonymous with be removed from the game?

No. Die = being stabbed, so like a marked SS who is attacked but also had the most votes would survive and a TD who loses the 50% RNG but had the most votes would survive, etc. But if you have the most votes and your opponent kills a TD, you still leave the game.

52 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

7.a. Does that prevent winning and losing?

Not really sure what this means-- maybe my previous answer covers this? Sorry.

10 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

Yes. Anything else would be too confusing, I think :P

Group mark, similar to the elim kill. One mark per cycle, anyone can submit it.

You'll be notified if the person you attacked died or not, but you won't be notified what they are.

Nope. For an AA or SS, after attacking, you'll either get a 'you win!' with a dead doc, a 'you lose!' with a dead doc, or a 'the person you attacked didn't die!'.

Coin flip for who got there first.

That's a... good question xD I think all four go to the dead doc, and I'd give both opponents a win? Or I coin flip and the dummy belonging to the loser survives and the other three go to the doc. @Committee people helllllllp

Same as 4, coin flip for who wins. But either way all three go to the dead doc.

Yes.

No. Die = being stabbed, so like a marked SS who is attacked but also had the most votes would survive and a TD who loses the 50% RNG but had the most votes would survive, etc. But if you have the most votes and your opponent kills a TD, you still leave the game.

Not really sure what this means-- maybe my previous answer covers this? Sorry.

Thank you! These are excellent answers.

I think a coin flip for who got there first seems consistent for the answers to both 4 and 5. The slower player's target survives. However, you are the mod, so I bow to your whim.

Question 7.a. is covered by the answer to 7.

Follow up questions:

I had one, but don't remember. I may edit it in if it comes back to me.

Just now, Elkanah said:

I think a coin flip for who got there first seems consistent for the answers to both 4 and 5. The slower player's target survives. However, you are the mod, so I bow to your whim.

I agree, I think. Alright official verdict: If Elk and Cin are opponents and kill Mr Misting and dannnnex the TDs on the same cycle, I'll RNG for who hit first. Both Elk and Cin will go to the dead doc, one a winner and one not, and whichever of Mr Misting and dannnex was the target of the loser survives.

Question 8. What happens to members of SS and AA who are still alive and not removed after all training dummies are killed?

On 11/8/2022 at 9:58 AM, Matrim's Dice said:

Each faction will have as close to equal numbers as possible, though there will be slightly fewer Training Dummies.

OOOOHHHHH! This looks like all kinds of crazy fun! I'm so in!

I'll play as Tara. (I've played as her before but I don't remember anything about her character. I need to write these things down somewhere, :lol: so, she gets a revised role here.) A shy girl with too many thoughts and not enough confidence to speak most of them.

Just now, Elkanah said:

Question 8. What happens to members of SS and AA who are still alive and not removed after all training dummies are killed?

I mean, at that point I'd call the game. Mathematically I believe there has to be fewer TDs than any other faction for the wincons to be fair (ask Devo, that's just what I was told :P), but it'll be close.

2 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

I mean, at that point I'd call the game. Mathematically I believe there has to be fewer TDs than any other faction for the wincons to be fair (ask Devo, that's just what I was told :P), but it'll be close.

That makes sense. If not winning is losing, then there is a race to kill a Training Dummy while they are still around. That adds a fun different element. Also, I am terrible at role distributions (just ask Devo), so I submit to their wisdom.

18 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

That makes sense. If not winning is losing, then there is a race to kill a Training Dummy while they are still around. That adds a fun different element. Also, I am terrible at role distributions (just ask Devo), so I submit to her wisdom.

Duelists only win if they kill a training dummy, so any duelists still in the game when all dummies are defeated lose.