Ara 2 mistborn

Blue-phoenix186

Why Are there no Mistborns in era 2 they speak of them like they’re mythological are there really no Mistborns or are they just really secretive The time jump between era  one and two is 300 years which sounds like A lot but compare to the first Mistborns it’s really not that Long by the time of the events of era 1 it’s already been 1000 years since the first Mistborns and between that time they did not die out so it doesn’t make sense for there to be no more Mistborns in era 2 especially since Sazed made spook a Mistborn I would’ve assumed he would have made him an undiluted Mistborn like Elend I just feel like 300 years is not long enough for them to die out

1 hour ago, Blue-phoenix186 said:

Why Are there no Mistborns in era 2 they speak of them like they’re mythological are there really no Mistborns or are they just really secretive The time jump between era  one and two is 300 years which sounds like A lot but compare to the first Mistborns it’s really not that Long by the time of the events of era 1 it’s already been 1000 years since the first Mistborns and between that time they did not die out so it doesn’t make sense for there to be no more Mistborns in era 2 especially since Sazed made spook a Mistborn I would’ve assumed he would have made him an undiluted Mistborn like Elend I just feel like 300 years is not long enough for them to die out

Harmony intrinsically changed the mechanics of allomancy during the catacendre. We don't really know what that means but he probably made allomancy weaker.

But mostly there was only one mistborn and very quickly the allomancy genes got dilated.  Becoming a mistborn was already very unlikely when noblemen were having children and when half skaa or full skaa start a new population the gene pool will be much less conductive for allomancy. Allomancy in Era 2 is generally much weaker than Era 1 and one way we can see that is the lack of mistborn.

6 hours ago, Blue-phoenix186 said:

compare to the first Mistborns it’s really not that Long by the time of the events of era 1 it’s already been 1000 years since the first Mistborns

Nobility was forbidden to interbreed with the skaa and the Terris, though, so allomancy mainly remained within a relatively small group of people, who intermarried with each other. That was no longer the case after the Catacendre, so abilities got diluted more. Feruchemy and allomancy genes also interfere with each other, which is why there are no full feruchemists around in era 2, just ferrings.

6 hours ago, Blue-phoenix186 said:

Sazed made spook a Mistborn I would’ve assumed he would have made him an undiluted Mistborn like Elend I just feel like 300 years is not long enough for them to die out

No, according to Word of Brandon (WoB), Spook was actually a very weak Mistborn. And also, they reached the bottom, as far as weakening is concerned. 

The real reason, of course, is that Sanderson wanted to write about people using a few abilities skillfully and cleverly, rather than just being massively overpowered, like the Mistborn were.

Questioner

So, did Sazed change that no more Mistborn are born? Because I noticed that--I know he made Spook one-- in Alloy they talk about Mistborn...

Brandon Sanderson

The idea is-- I won't say absolutely no to Sazed's manipulation. But, there weren't any Mistborn other than him that survived. The Allomantic lines were very diluted. So, his direct descendants-- you might be able to even find one potentially now. Someone might be born, or one might have been born that didn't tell people about it. But in the general public and population, it's just, there's not as much Allomancy around... He did also change Snapping, which had an effect on it.

Firefight Miami signing (Jan. 8, 2015)

On 11/8/2022 at 5:09 AM, Isilel said:

Nobility was forbidden to interbreed with the skaa and the Terris, though, so allomancy mainly remained within a relatively small group of people, who intermarried with each other. That was no longer the case after the Catacendre, so abilities got diluted more. Feruchemy and allomancy genes also interfere with each other, which is why there are no full feruchemists around in era 2, just ferrings.

No, according to Word of Brandon (WoB), Spook was actually a very weak Mistborn. And also, they reached the bottom, as far as weakening is concerned. 

The real reason, of course, is that Sanderson wanted to write about people using a few abilities skillfully and cleverly, rather than just being massively overpowered, like the Mistborn were.

Actually I think Spook was made into a Mistborn of the normal strength for a skaa Allomancer of the end of the Final Empire - so he was as strong in his new metals as he was with his non-savant use of A-tin, basically.

That would be far weaker than Elend the lerasium bead ingester, or Rashek the Spiritually Twiddled, and probably than Vin of the Very Pure Noble Bloodline on her father's side. 

So, like Kelsier or Gemmel probably were (if Kelsier's Snapping into a Mistborn at the Pits wasn't some act of Preservation, as was faintly implied as Leras passed on).

14 hours ago, robardin said:

So, like Kelsier or Gemmel probably were (if Kelsier's Snapping into a Mistborn at the Pits wasn't some act of Preservation, as was faintly implied as Leras passed on).

I thought that Kelsier was the strongest Mistborn of his time, until Vin appeared? And that this, along with with being a superbly coordinated person used to make split-second life-and-death decisions due to his previous life experience is what made him so powerful so quickly? I mean, he had only been a Mistborn for a couple of years at the beginning of TFE and his training with Gemmel was quite short.

53 minutes ago, Isilel said:

I thought that Kelsier was the strongest Mistborn of his time, until Vin appeared? And that this, along with with being a superbly coordinated person used to make split-second life-and-death decisions due to his previous life experience is what made him so powerful so quickly? I mean, he had only been a Mistborn for a couple of years at the beginning of TFE and his training with Gemmel was quite short.

Based on various WoBs and annotations, we learn that strength (power level) in Allomancy is directly correlated to the level of Connection to Preservation, which is why Sliver and Twiddled Rashek as TLR is the strongest of all at it, followed by human-who-ingested-lerasium, followed by "extremely pure bloodline" nobles of the end of TFE, followed by skaa Allomancers with less noble blood in them (remember that Vin being "an amazingly powerful Mistborn street urchin" suggested to Kar the Inquisitor that her illegal noble blood must therefore be "of a very pure line" in making the case to TLR that the Lord Prelan of the Steel Ministry himself was her father).

Someone like Spook, who didn't have a direct noble ancestor but got Allomancy from his (noble) grandfather, should have been even weaker (if only slightly - mostly it reduced the chances of his being an Allomancer, at that point, as "generational dilution" of Allomancy has a limit that they were already approaching in TFE).

And those 16% of non-Allomancers who were "mistsnapped" in TWoA would largely be even weaker than that, per this WoBMany of these people won't be very strong Allomancers. Their abilities were buried too deeply to have come out without the mists' intervention. Others will have a more typical level of power; they might have Snapped earlier, had they gone through enough anguish to bring the power out.

I suppose that means if Vin had ingested the lerasium, she'd have been somewhere in between Elend eating it and TLR in power level, as that implies the lerasium boost would have "stacked" on top of her natural Mistborn nature. We'll never know for sure!

From the Mistborn books themselves, we don't have a lot of ways to compare Mistborn against each other in power level except by their own estimations, which of course would be based on themselves (e.g., Vin thinking that Elend's Pushes "were so much stronger" than hers with the same metal, because of the lerasium).

At that point, she knew from Sazed that "all sources agree, there were no Mistborn before TLR's Ascension" and from TenSoon that originally, all Allomancers were Mistborn but that their Allomantic strength has decreased over time to their era, in addition to fragmenting to being mostly Mistings with only rare Mistborn. So they could connect that the Original Mistborn must have been engendered by lerasium.

Kelsier reflects that Vin seems unnaturally gifted at Allomancy, but that is not simply a factor of raw strength in the power - as Brandon put it, Elend is far more "powerful" than Vin (she admits it), but Vin would whup him in a 1v1 fight because she's more skilled and more ruthless. And she's skilled because she'd been unconsciously burning metals all her life (relying on trace amounts), having Snapped during her own birthing.

IIRC, every time we see Kelsier or Vin remark on another "natural born Allomancer" of TFE having surprising ability or strength - like Vin's piercing of copperclouds, or Zane's ability to Steelpush-balance on a single coin - we found later it was a sign of hemalurgic enhancement of that metal's power.

As for Kelsier's Allomancy... I always found it surprising that he'd only Snapped at the Pits when his brother Marsh had Snapped way earlier to become a Seeker, and after being there for almost a year (when Mare being killed in front of him triggered it).

In-world, they said that Mistborn (being more powerful) take more to Snap, and that "the difficulty of Snapping is related to the strength of the Allomancer", but then in Secret History we see that Preservation may have touched him at that moment to "inspire" him to SURVIVE.

The word vibrated through him, and Kelsier gasped. He knew that feeling, remembered that exact command. He'd heard that voice in the Pits. Waking him, driving him forward.

Saving him.

And perhaps, that direct communication from Preservation "mist-boosted" him to Mistborn at a moment he was spiritually anguished enough to Snap already?

Edited by robardin