Lost Metal Chapters 16-18 Reactions

StormingTexan

https://www.tor.com/2022/11/07/read-the-lost-metal-by-brandon-sanderson-chapters-sixteen-through-eighteen/

Well Wayne is pretty rich and he looks to be starting professional sports on Scadrial! 

So I guess we know what the new type of explosive is now. I really liked seeing a Steris POV. 

Ok so I hated the idea of another "Kandra impersonator" but I'm getting some weird vibes from VenDell. 

Edited by StormingTexan

I feel like VenDell is a red herring. We are getting some subtle weird vibes from him and he went off screen for a bit to talk to Harmony which was suspicious… but I think we are going to be led to think he is a spy or bad guy in some way, only to find out that something else was going on and he was distracting us from that. Of course I could be totally wrong haha

Wayne is a business mogul despite his best efforts not to be!!! This amused me to no end.

I really love that he's invented affordable housing, that was one of the big things I wanted for his character if he were going to be rich, and he's done it.

Of course, extremely glad that we got that Allriandre bit and he's finally going to leave her alone. 

I think my favorite joke of that section was the "seminal activity" I just about died laughing. 

6 minutes ago, Requiem17 said:

Wayne is a business mogul despite his best efforts not to be!!! This amused me to no end.

I really love that he's invented affordable housing, that was one of the big things I wanted for his character if he were going to be rich, and he's done it.

Of course, extremely glad that we got that Allriandre bit and he's finally going to leave her alone. 

I think my favorite joke of that section was the "seminal activity" I just about died laughing. 

Yes I love how he is trying to get rid of his fortune but keeps making more money. I think his idea of blowing it all on the sports endeavor will backfire. He even suggested adding metalborn to make it more exciting! 

4 minutes ago, CognitiveShadow said:

“Trellium has a repulsing effect on other forms of Investiture” … Autonomy confirmed?

White sand doesn't repel other Investiture, and Atium doesn't destroy other Investiture. Tanavstium doesn't bind other Investiture. Really the most this tells us is that Trell is polarized against Harmony.

Just now, Frustration said:

White sand doesn't repel other Investiture, and Atium doesn't destroy other Investiture. Tanavstium doesn't bind other Investiture. Really the most this tells us is that Trell is polarized against Harmony.

Good point, although it seems to me that autonomy and harmony could be fairly polarizing intents…

“Right,” he said, slipping it on, then feeling around the top of the broken steel box. His hand came away dusted with some black shavings—a fine metal powder.

“We need to test these shavings,” Wax said. “But… I don’t think this is either atium or lerasium. It looks like remnants of iron from the equipment.”

Steris gathered them in some specimen pouches anyway.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that these shavings are not iron. Keep an eye out for where this Chekovium dust comes up again later in the book. I've got a sneaking suspicion it's something else "important to the cosmere and to Scadrial," per this WoB from a few years back. Still not sure what the byproduct could actually be, though.

18 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Yes I love how he is trying to get rid of his fortune but keeps making more money. I think his idea of blowing it all on the sports endeavor will backfire. He even suggested adding metalborn to make it more exciting! 

Hahaha totally agreed. He's essentially invented modern-day professional sports, it will definitely succeed to the point of being wildly successful and it cracks me up. Can't wait for Era 3 and seeing the rules of this sport. 

6 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that these shavings are not iron. Keep an eye out for where this Chekovium dust comes up again later in the book. I've got a sneaking suspicion it's something else "important to the cosmere and to Scadrial," per this WoB from a few years back. Still not sure what the byproduct could actually be, though.

I second calling it Chekovium dust until we have the facts laid before us!

16 minutes ago, CognitiveShadow said:

Good point, although it seems to me that autonomy and harmony could be fairly polarizing intents…

Agreed. We saw Ruin and Preservation reacting like this with each other because they had opposite Shardic intents, so it seems logical to, at this point, guess that Autonomy and Harmony could cause the same. 

25 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

I've got a sneaking suspicion it's something else "important to the cosmere and to Scadrial," per this WoB from a few years back. Still not sure what the byproduct could actually be, though.

Could it be that when shardmetals are broken down to to their most base state and their elemental “atom” is split somehow, we are left with a small amount of Adonalsium dust? Or the building blocks to create it?

1 hour ago, StormingTexan said:

Wayne invents professional sports leagues while trying to shed "excess money"... Total value of 32 NFL teams today: 91 billion.

He can't lose for winning!

As for Wax having signed away his "likeness rights"... We already have a WoB that there will be Wax and Wayne comics in Era 3, will that be the flagship series for Terrisborn Press? With some 20+ and counting number of "TCU" blockbuster movie adaptations thereof?

And as for Allriandre's monthly stipend... I guess her family's no longer getting "half of what Wayne makes", eh? Yowza!

Edited by robardin

I can't wait to see what professional sports will look like in era 3. My meta-gaming brain, however, immediately started to think of how teams would min/max their Metalborn.

I really enjoy the science-y chapters, though I know they aren't everyone's cup of (spiked) tea. Hypothesizing and expanding knowledge on the inner workings of the Cosmere is my jam. I loved those in RoW for the same reasons.

1 minute ago, Arkangel said:

I can't wait to see what professional sports will look like in era 3. My meta-gaming brain, however, immediately started to think of how teams would min/max their Metalborn.

I really enjoy the science-y chapters, though I know they aren't everyone's cup of (spiked) tea. Hypothesizing and expanding knowledge on the inner workings of the Cosmere is my jam. I loved those in RoW for the same reasons.

I adore them too, I love the chapters based around worldbuilding and building up the mechanics and such. Very fun and captivating. 

And yeah, Sanderson said in a WoB that he has been working on planning out Metalborn Sports because they are going to be big in Era 3 (probably not in the story, but at least in terms of world/culture). Gonna be interesting. 

36 minutes ago, AltonicKeys said:

I'm guessing Trell is related to anti-investiture or something? This should lead somewhere at least.

I don`t think it is related to anti-investiture.

Anti investiture wuold have exploded when touching the harmonium. The ttrellium caused the explosion only when the harmonium was "almost separted".

And on other things in the chapter:

VanDell felt really suspicious when he went to talk with Harmony by himself and telling the group that he need to join them without them able to verify it was what Harmony (if he did talk to Harmony) said. But then he seemed to encourage Wax to talk with Harmony so maybe he is not working for the set or something like that.

It is funny that when Wayne is acting like a rich guy he is doing the rich people version of theft: making a lot of money by corrput investment. I don`t understand how Short and Tall Boring  (I assume they are brothers and their parents have wierd naming habits :) ) didn`t notice that - they know about his connection to Wax. Maybe the basin haven`t developed laws against such things yet? 
* I did not understand what the Boring brothers meant in:

“Have you yet confirmed with Waxillium that he understands he signed away likeness rights to you in that deal—”

Does someone understand what this is about?

* It is good to see that he finally decided to stop harrasing the daguther of the guy he killed - he is upgrded to slightly less horible person.

Edited by offer

4 minutes ago, offer said:

I did not understand what the Boring brothers meant in:

“Have you yet confirmed with Waxillium that he understands he signed away likeness rights to you in that deal—”

Does someone understand what this is about?

I'm guessing Wax and Wayne t-shirts, action figures, comics, and movies are to come in Era 3! LOL!

But for now, in Era 2... Let's start with the lunchboxes.

Edited by robardin

47 minutes ago, robardin said:

Wayne invents professional sports leagues while trying to shed "excess money"... Total value of 32 NFL teams today: 91 billion.

Some day teams will be awarded the "Wayne Terrisborn Trophy" for winning the championship. :P

Totally forgot about how he had Wax sign away his likeness so his heir will own the comic books in Era3 as well. 

40 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Some day teams will be awarded the "Wayne Terrisborn Trophy" for winning the championship. :P

Totally forgot about how he had Wax sign away his likeness so his heir will own the comic books in Era3 as well. 

This trophy would be precisely Wayne Terrisborn Hat!

So, I wonder, is Wayne already richer than Wax? Or will be soon?

Ok, I still hope for cyclotrons and nuclear reactors, in trials for dividing Harmonium, but this is still very exciting!

Besides, they’re off three clips in this quarter’s financials.” “Three clips?” Wax said. “Out of how much money?” “Five million.”

12 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

So, I wonder, is Wayne already richer than Wax? Or will be soon?

I got curious too and went back to that BoM scene. Looks like equal as of BoM, but with Steris' help the Ladrian house could be doing better than that now. But I agree Wayne is about to be way richer. 

46 minutes ago, Requiem17 said:

I got curious too and went back to that BoM scene. Looks like equal as of BoM, but with Steris' help the Ladrian house could be doing better than that now. But I agree Wayne is about to be way richer. 

Yep I think when Wax and Steris were trying to find the  missing clips the total was around 20 million. Agree though I bet Steris has increased their wealth in the last 6 years. It sounded like it in the pre-view chapters they live in a swanky penthouse and still own the mansion so probably not doing too shabby. 

Edit: I was wrong on the amount the finances were around 5 million. 

With Wayne owning Wax likeness I can only imagine that their rolls will be reversed in the comic books. Wayne will be Batman and Wax will be Robin. 

Edited by StormingTexan