What kind of adaptation would you want to see?

Movie type?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What style of movie would you prefer for an adaptation?

• Animated
    • Live-action
    • Musical/play
    • Something else

Hopefully, there will be faithful movie adaptations of Brandon Sanderson's works in the future. I think that they would be live-action, but I would also love it if they were animated! I'm interested to hear your opinions on the matter, and what form of film (or tv show) you would like to see. 

Animated but in a few years. 

Over the last few years animation has been getting a lot more attention, a lot more respect and frankly a lot better. It would be the best way to get a good coherent story without shrinking Roshar, Scadrial or the Cosmere down to a few locations. The budget for Stormlight for example would have to exceed Rings of Power to even mimic a fraction of how good the books are and how vast the world is. I think with the right animation studio it could be beautiful and not cringe worthy like a lot of Live action adaptions.

Yeah, the budget for any major cosmere adaptation would have to be enormous, but animated would be considerably cheaper. 

1 hour ago, AerionBFII said:

Over the last few years animation has been getting a lot more attention, a lot more respect and frankly a lot better.

What style of animation do you think would work best (or look coolest)? A lot of recent-ish animated films/shows have broken a lot of the standards, like Arcane and Into the Spiderverse. There is, of course, the traditional Disney-style 3D animation, or a more traditional 2D animation. Personally, I would like to see more unique types of animation for a cosmere adaptation. I think it would complement the unique magic systems and add more character. Live-action feels more realistic and grounded, but since this is high fantasy, I think a less realistic and more fantastical adaptation would work better. 

Depends. Live-action for Mistborn but animated for SA. That said, Brandon has said that money likely wouldn't be an issue. At least in regards to VFX for concealing Earth plants on a live-action Roshar. I don't see the budget being too big for Way of Kings since magic use is still minimal and the locations are mostly set on the Shattered Plains (Brandon has talked about ideal locations to shoot this in Utah) and Kharbranth (could be done largely on-set). The numbers start running up when you consider all the CGI for creatures and spren....

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 8:17 AM, TheCollector said:

I think there should be an actual opera made of the one that is mentioned in the broadsheets of Shadows of Self

YES. 

Or they could do the thing they did with Rogers! The Musical and do a snippet of it in the actual movie/tv show of Shadows of Self, then have a post-credits scene with most of it.