Even more Hemelurgy stuff

Immortal Platypus

Question

8 answers to this question

7 hours ago, hwiles said:

Doesn't becoming a tin savant make one nearly senseless if they run out of metal to burn?

I'm thinking this would go very poorly for the de-spiked savant...

I think that was just relative to the feeling of flaring tin beyond the normal limits. Our main POV for it was Spook, who was pretty much flaring tin constantly at that point. I suspect that compared to that, baseline human senses would seem like nothing

Eh, the coppermind makes it sound like there's a dependency involved which would penalize the savant once they stopped being able to burn, but there's a little ambiguity still. I Certainly wouldn't expect removing the spike to undo the physiological damage caused by savantism if that helps.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question, but Spook's enhanced senses were only present when he was burning tin (which was all the time). No tin means no enhanced senses, and no Allomantic ability (via the spike) means no tin. I'd think that the person in question would still feel the numbness/lack of sensory ability (like @Dunkum said) since that was present without the Allomancy. But that's the opposite of enhanced senses. Whatever changes happen to a savant's body, we don't have any indication that they mirror the effects of using Investiture which caused those changes in the first place.

So no, you don't keep any enhanced senses since those are 100% from Allomancy, and without the spike you have no Allomancy. You probably would keep any changes being a savant imposed on your body since those exist whether you're burning metal or not, but I don't recall any clear examples of this with Allomancy.

If the question is, would you still be a savant if you again got access to tin Allomancy later (through any means) I would expect yes. Savantism cannot be transferred via spike, so the effect must remain with the person who developed it or disappear. The effects don't disappear when the Allomancer stops burning metal, so seem separate from active Allomancy. But we haven't seen anything like that, so we don't really know.

My understanding is that Savantism for a Tineye works twofold:

1) your body becomes incredibly more efficient at using tin

2) your body becomes addicted to tin and when you're not burning it,  sensibilty would be much lower than that of a normal person 

So if you take the abilty to burn tin away, you're left with the second part and nothing else, I guess I wouldn't reccomend it :lol:

No, Savantism cannot be stolen via Hemalurgy, and I dont think there's any indication that you can alter the implanted piece of Spiritweb in the spike (outside Forgery or something equally foreign) so it shouldnt come along with the spike even if you develop it from the Spike's powers.

CealdishOrbLender

Can being an Allomantic Savant be transferred through Hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson

A Savant cannot be, good question. No one's asked me that before.

Shadows of Self Lansing signing (Oct. 13, 2015)