Awakened Food

Trusk'our

Question

7 answers to this question

On 11/3/2022 at 5:08 PM, Trusk'our said:

If you were to put Breaths inside a piece of food, then eat and digest it, would you regain your lost Breaths?

If you gave it the right Command, maybe?

Imagine muttering, "Upon dissolving, Your Breath to mine" as you Invest into a pack of individual candies... Then later, you could pop them into your mouth and suck on them for specific bursts of power.

And why not call them...

61udr3oob5L.jpg

Edited by robardin

On 11/14/2022 at 1:36 PM, robardin said:

If you gave it the right Command, maybe?

Imagine muttering, "Upon dissolving, Your Breath to mine" as you Invest into a pack of individual candies... Then later, you could pop them into your mouth and suck on them for specific bursts of power.

And why not call them...

61udr3oob5L.jpg

Nice :) 

On 2/2/2023 at 10:49 AM, SPECTRE120 said:

Lift could probably use the breaths like a compounder, getting a much bigger boost of investiture from eating awakened food.

I think the Identity barrier for Breath would prevent that, similar to how Vin couldn't burn the pewtermind that Sazed gave her to try, unless it was Breath that Lift had obtained and then stored there herself.

Barring some special Command that an advanced Awakener like Vasher might know to strip the Breath store of Identity, or some other magical winnowing process, she'd feel there was some extra power there in the food, but be unable to access it.

That's a scenario like if someone else had Awakened a gingerbread man to run around or something, and Lift grabbed and ate it. If Lift obtained her own store of Breath and put it into some food and ate it, so that it was keyed to her, I'm not sure that would result in a Compounding effect... But it is plausible. The mechanics of her converting Food into Lifelight and then to use Lifelight instead of Stormlight to power her Surgebinding are not really known.

25 minutes ago, robardin said:

I think the Identity barrier for Breath would prevent that, similar to how Vin couldn't burn the pewtermind that Sazed gave her to try, unless it was Breath that Lift had obtained and then stored there herself.

Barring some special Command that an advanced Awakener like Vasher might know to strip the Breath store of Identity, or some other magical winnowing process, she'd feel there was some extra power there in the food, but be unable to access it.

That's a scenario like if someone else had Awakened a gingerbread man to run around or something, and Lift grabbed and ate it. If Lift obtained her own store of Breath and put it into some food and ate it, so that it was keyed to her, I'm not sure that would result in a Compounding effect... But it is plausible. The mechanics of her converting Food into Lifelight and then to use Lifelight instead of Stormlight to power her Surgebinding are not really known.

Lift's case would be very similar to Awakener allomantically burning an Awakened metal - and there are 2 conflicting WoBs on that:

Spoiler

Questioner (paraphrased)

What would happen if Allomancer was also an Awakener and Awakened metal he'd burn?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

If he did that, he’d get Allomantic power and also get back the Breaths used in Awakening the metal.

Footnote: Supposedly it was around half an hour into the signing line; has not been found on the record although we may have started it after it was asked already; follow-up to this
Warsaw signing (March 18, 2017)

Spoiler

Questioner

What would happen if an Allomancer burned Awakened metal?

Brandon Sanderson

Oh boy, we start right with the really hard ones. So, it would be very difficult to do, and other than that it's going to depend on who the Breaths are keyed to with Identity.

Footnote: followed-up by this
Warsaw signing (March 18, 2017)

It might be possible that she would get something more from burning Awakened food - but it has to be done with her Breaths.